Weekend Challenge July 25, 2020

SodScrap

Layers, layers, layers.  We all use them on each and every layout.  Today's challenge is to create a layout using "lots of layers".  Layers can be used to create embellishment clusters or to create interesting backgrounds with layered paper templates.  You can stack papers for the background, or add layers of papers under your framed photo(s).  Create a collage paper.  Really, the number of layers and possibilities are endless!  I'd love to hear any tips or tricks you have when using layers.  Let's see how many layers we can use breaking out of our "typical" scrapping design and try something new. 

Please post you layout in the Weekend Wildcard Gallery and post a link back here to share.  ALSO-please tell us how you used layers.

Here are some blog links to help you out:
https://scrapgirls.com/archives/mixing-layered-embellishments
https://scrapgirls.com/all-posts/create-a-collage-paper-using-paper-templates

Here are some examples of layered layouts (click to go to product):
I love the layered background in Angie's template set:
ABR_SSDLOT_Album_Series_13

These templates from Ginny have lots of layers:

image.png.3a90b3e475aee55430515e2982e3e045.png

The paper strips under these photos in these sample layouts here are stunning! (I'm not going to lie-I wish these were layout templates...lol!!)

Dear Prudence (sample layout)

CKH_Grow_Your_Own_Way

CKH_GoYourOwnWay_LO4_600-03.jpg.77a1fa58418e03b0912e818f9714ceec.jpg

Here is mine:  My Kitten Bandit

I combined the base layers of Angie's (retired) SSDLOT Album Series 11 with the LO template from Connie's template Overlay Play 6 using the photo placement and layers as well as the blending layers.  I counted 14 paper layers not including the photos and their mats.  :) 

1 minute ago, MariJ said:

Fun and challenging challenge, Conda.   I like your explanation and samples, very helpful to see how to use layers.

Thank you Marilyn-I'm still not convinced I explained it well.  ??‍♀️

7 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

Thank you Marilyn-I'm still not convinced I explained it well.  ??‍♀️

I thought you explained it perfectly and with the graphics it was even better.
I am a big-time layer user and often have so many it’s hard to keep track.   A few tips I have are that when I have multiple layers, I will rename some of them to find things easier - especially the little items which are hard to see.  
I’ll also lock pieces that go together so when I move them they all move at once.
And, very often when scrapping I will use a layer and not like it, or duplicate one in case I make a mistake on the original, or even try a few different layers to see what I prefer.   I end up turning off the eye on the ones I don’t want - and then end up with a large amount of unseen layers.  Jody showed me once that if I go to my layers panel (I’m in PSE 13) and click the down arrow on the 3 little lines - there will be a “delete hidden layers” option which gets rid of all those layers I don’t want to keep in one swoop.   It’s usually one of the last things I do on a page and saves a lot of time and effort.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 8.42.12 AM.png

15 minutes ago, MariJ said:

I thought you explained it perfectly and with the graphics it was even better.
I am a big-time layer user and often have so many it’s hard to keep track.   A few tips I have are that when I have multiple layers, I will rename some of them to find things easier - especially the little items which are hard to see.  
I’ll also lock pieces that go together so when I move them they all move at once.
And, very often when scrapping I will use a layer and not like it, or duplicate one in case I make a mistake on the original, or even try a few different layers to see what I prefer.   I end up turning off the eye on the ones I don’t want - and then end up with a large amount of unseen layers.  Jody showed me once that if I go to my layers panel (I’m in PSE 13) and click the down arrow on the 3 little lines - there will be a “delete hidden layers” option which gets rid of all those layers I don’t want to keep in one swoop.   It’s usually one of the last things I do on a page and saves a lot of time and effort.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 8.42.12 AM.png

Awesome tips, Marilyn!  THANK YOU!  I have a script that I use to delete layers, but this seems even easier!!  I never really thought of renaming layers, that's brilliant!!

Here is my layered page I used 49 layers including the photos. I made a companion page with only 11 layers. On our last day at the marina were lucky enough to be on the marina tug as the MayflowerII was towed down the Mysic River. A day I will never forget.

6 minutes ago, Boatlady said:

Here is my layered page I used 49 layers including the photos. I made a companion page with only 11 layers. On our last day at the marina were lucky enough to be on the marina tug as the MayflowerII was towed down the Mysic River. A day I will never forget.

I should have counted my embellishments and text layers as well!  

A layers challenge made me think of cake.....The paper layers are a .png created from the actual cake photo, then cropped and filled with various papers. There is also a beige background layer to give it more depth so the cake looks more dimensional. There are a few layers behind the photo mask. In all, 25 layers. Here is Wedding Cake Layers. Hard to believe that in all these wedding layouts I've been doing, I haven't done one yet of just the cake!

3 hours ago, alsoarty said:

HERE is my layout - I tried to use all the colors of the rainbow, and Ginny's tears paper were perfect, they are 2 layers each. I counted - phew! 66 layers (including the text).

I was going to mention paper tears as a way to add layers but I forgot. Thank you for sharing.

Did you all hear that scream?  I worked all afternoon on a page and was really pleased with it.  I had saved up to the last touches, clicked to save the final and somewhere between the old and new it all got erased....poof!  Out in virtual no-where land!  I at least have a supply list so recreating it won't be as hard as the original.  GRRRRRRR.....

2 hours ago, AnnBK said:

Did you all hear that scream?  I worked all afternoon on a page and was really pleased with it.  I had saved up to the last touches, clicked to save the final and somewhere between the old and new it all got erased....poof!  Out in virtual no-where land!  I at least have a supply list so recreating it won't be as hard as the original.  GRRRRRRR.....

Oh Ann, I'm sorry!  That's frustrating.  

19 hours ago, AnnBK said:

Oh no!!!  Sorry this happened, Ann.

Here's mine I counted 36 layers. When I have so many layers I tend to put them into groups. In fact for this layout I have 3 groups inside 1 group. I have 1 group for the cluster, 1 group for the filmstrip which is the one that has 3 groups inside it. The original strip only had 3 frames so I duplicated twice so that  I would have 9 frames. I group for the main photo. The last group is for the background. The last of my layers are not in groups because they don't really go with anything else. I almost always rename my layers and for sure my groups. The reason I love groups is it keeps my layer panel neater. If I want to move the whole group I can or if I only want to move 1 layer inside of the group I can do that without have to unlock all the layers that are related to that grouping. Here's a screen shot of all my groups closed, groups inside a group, and then one of the groups inside the group opened.

grouping.jpg

groups inside group.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

On 7/25/2020 at 6:51 PM, AnnBK said:

Oh I hate that when it happens....

On 7/25/2020 at 8:51 PM, AnnBK said:

So sorry but you are not alone with that. It's happened to me too and I see lots of others.