Finding Backgrounds to Photoshop People Into

kmrg2020

Hi all,

I'm learning PSE and have mastered (?!)  the art of making selections with my trusty polygonal lasso.  So I've selected a cute cutout of my grandson and I want to photoshop him into another background. I'm not great at designing paper or backgrounds so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of where/how to find sort of generic backgrounds.  For example, I did this tutorial where he photoshopped the dog from a grassy green background into one with mountain and sky. I googled "backgrounds to photoshop yourself into" but I don't want to put him in front of the Taj Mahal!  I know it's a rambling question but any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Make sure you add drop shadows to make it look more realistic. Don't use too hard an edge on your extraction, so it doesn't look like a cutout. I'm not an expert on extraction, preferring to use masking and blend modes to combine two images together. Looking foward to seeing what you come up with and what others advise.

You could also just put your extraction on a paper background from any collection and add embellishments, etc.
I don’t know where you would get realistic backgrounds, but you could always take your own photo (say like of a playground for example) and use that full sized (or not) as your background.

Sometimes there are background papers that are part of a collection that look like the generic backgrounds you might be looking for.

On 8/6/2020 at 12:09 PM, bcgal00 said:

Make sure you add drop shadows to make it look more realistic. Don't use too hard an edge on your extraction, so it doesn't look like a cutout. I'm not an expert on extraction, preferring to use masking and blend modes to combine two images together. Looking foward to seeing what you come up with and what others advise.

I don't think I know much masking and blending.  Can you suggest any good tutorials?

13 hours ago, kmrg2020 said:

I don't think I know much masking and blending.  Can you suggest any good tutorials?

Masking is easy because there are ones already made for you!   What you do is place your photo above the mask and then “clip” it to the photo.   In PhotoShop Elements that is “Command G” and the photo will conform right down into the shape.

Here are a few from Syndee -
Artful Photo Masks
Blendability
Artful Masks 2
Transfer Masks
Blended Masks with Frames
Gesso
Framed Masks

If you are working in another program or this doesn’t make sense just let us know and we can explain more.