Question about Technique used in fading photo into wood-like background

tsendi

In today's newsletter, Sept. 29, 2020, there are a few layouts that that caught my eye for the technique that was used. For example "Time" by Amy and "Tasty" by Nichole, and "You" by Cindy, which have the look of the photo blending into the wood. Is there a tutorial that shows how to do this? Those are so lovely.

Christine

Hi Christine!

I'm guessing that they used Blend Modes and masks. I love using masks and blend modes!

Here's a link for What are Blending Modes

This one links to how to use masks and blend modes. Although the article talks about Scrapping Multiple Photos on one layout, you can use the technique with one photo.

Hopefully these will help. I'm sure someone else will come along with more help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 10:34 AM, tsendi said:

In today's newsletter, Sept. 29, 2020, there are a few layouts that that caught my eye for the technique that was used. For example "Time" by Amy and "Tasty" by Nichole, and "You" by Cindy, which have the look of the photo blending into the wood. Is there a tutorial that shows how to do this? Those are so lovely.

Christine

Hi Christine! Sorry I'm just seeing this...

You definitely can use blending modes based on the tutorial Kelly linked you to...but another easy way is by using Mask Templates.

http://store.scrapgirls.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

With these masks, you're just basically clipping your photo to the mask to give your photo the nice artsy edge. From there you can change the opacity and blending modes to get a desired effect. 

Hope this helps!

GWH_SummerReverie_SSEmb_PhotoMasks_Mktg-01.jpg

HI Christine -I'm just seeing this too! I used a mask as well. I clipped the photo to the mask, then changed the blending mode on the mask to overlay. The blending mode is what allows the texture beneath (from the paper layer) show through the photo.  Hope this helps!