October Scrap Girls Club Behind The Scene's

angleigh

I wanted to share a fun behind the scene's that Laura provided us this month that goes along with her club.  I have you enjoy reading this as much as I did:

I don't want to shatter any illusions, but my life as a graphic artist is not creative as you might think! Even in my day job, sometimes I just have terrible ideas that may never work. ("Let's work some skeletons into those Christmas photos!") But usually, my terrible ideas get kiboshed before going out to the world. 

When it was time for me to start working on this club, I planned out my vision with a level of organization even Marie Kondo would envy! My club would capture the magic of the night and stars, and my elements would be so magnificently inspired that Van Gogh's Starry Night would look like amateur work!

As I sat at the computer, my designs poured forth with a steady stream of starry inspiration! Deep, dark papers to create the perfect backdrop? Check! Dark and mysterious florals to embellish the most romantic of photos? Check! This club was coming together faster than a shooting star!

Then it was time for the final step in my designing: Time to "test drive" my products by creating my layouts. I carefully chose my first photo, added my papers, sprinkled in some embellishments, and voila! I had created ... a sea of blackness?

I'm only slightly exaggerating, but it would not be inaccurate to describe those layouts as "black hole chic." I remember thinking, "Huh? I designed everything in perfectly coordinated shades of black. How could that go wrong?"

I decided I had to redo everything! In about two weeks, I updated, revamped, and flat-out recreated everything in this club. I'm much happier with the club you see now! My goal shifted to letting pink and lilac flowers bloom their way into the embellishments and to getting those papers to capture the aurora borealis. Mostly, I just wanted to leave that darkness behind!

In retrospect, maybe black on black is not the best design scheme. You win some, and you lose some. (But I still think my skeletons in Christmas cards has real potential!)

That’s so funny, Laura’s sense of humor always cracks me up.   I love “black hole chic” ? and almost wish I could see that version.   
After reading this, I am really dying to see the Club, her last year’s October is one of my favorite collections.  But, I still can’t get into the store, so for me the mystery remains....    ?

Thanks Angie - and Laura too. 

4 hours ago, englishrose said:

A lovely story - I've often wondered about the inspiration process. Black hole chic is maybe whats required in this year of Covid!

I thought the same thing, Hilary.   Black hole chic sounds actually quite approoriate this year.   But, I love what Laura ended up with.  

• 2 weeks later...