AFT Designs - November 2020 Challenge

AmandaFace

When someone asks about my design aesthetic, sometimes I have a hard time actually giving someone a clear picture of what it may be. I design whatever I like basically, sometimes that’s bright and graphic, other times it’s vintage and distressed inspired.

The Challenge

This month I challenge you to create a layout that has some kind of “rusted” aspect to it. Whether that’s rusted vintage style embellishments, alpha, etc. Or even just what may come to mind when you hear the word.

How

The challenge will run from November 1st - November 30th. Create a layout featuring some type of rusted aspect, post it in the gallery, and then share it here with us in this thread as well. (There isn’t a specific place in the gallery you need to post, your personal gallery is fine.)

I ask that the layout utilize at least 30-50% of items from my store. (Don’t overthink that 

percentage, just make sure some of  my items are used pretty please) 

Prize

A $5 coupon good for anything in my store.

And please share! When you post, feel free to tell us about your creative process or something about your layout. Below are some of my own favorite rusted items, these are not things that you have to use in the challenge, but may give you a good stepping off direction for your own layout.

AFT_RusticShabby_Emb_MKTGb_600.jpg  AFT_RusticShabby_Emb_LO_600.jpg

wm_ASO_Exhibit_PaperMini_MKTG_600.jpg

wm_ASO_TakeWing_CollBiggie_MKTG_600.jpg

ASO_SSStyles_MixedMetals6402_MKTG_600.jp  AFT_BS_InkSmudgeFrames_MKTG_600.jpg

AFT_SSStyles_FancyRust_6401_MKTG_600.jpgASO_SSStyles_FancyRust_6401_LO_600.jpg

AFT_SSEmb_MaskClust_FanRust_LO_600.jpg

2 hours ago, barbaraj said:

I have my eye on your Fancy Rust Styles. These look like they'd be fun to use. Always look forward to your challenges!

I bought those last night in the sale after seeing this challenge, but I haven’t downloaded them yet.  They do look like they’d be fun and often I’m looking for a “metal” look and can’t find what I want.

15 minutes ago, MariJ said:

I bought those last night in the sale after seeing this challenge, but I haven’t downloaded them yet.  They do look like they’d be fun and often I’m looking for a “metal” look and can’t find what I want.

I have them but haven't had time to use them yet. I think I'm going to try them on this months Scrap Girls Club that I just bought. Metal Moma here I come. :party-smiley-048:

2 hours ago, barbaraj said:

I have them but haven't had time to use them yet. I think I'm going to try them on this months Scrap Girls Club that I just bought. Metal Moma here I come. :party-smiley-048:

Haha, you made me laugh.   ?  I'm interested to see how they look and OHHhhhhhh..  I just saw Ginny’s SG Club, it’s really pretty.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got this done.   “Rust” made me think of old and dusty, like the tools and pieces are in the Edison Laboritories National Historic Park in my Town.
I bought Amanda’s “JIF 6: Rust” a long time ago.   Probably 10 years since it was the JIF 6 in ScrapGirls’ 6th birthday year and it just celebrated 16.  I’ve always loved the pieces so was happy to be able to use many of them here.   I combined this challenge with the November Monthly #1 - “Where I Live” so I could post in that Gallery.
Thanks for the fun challenges, Amanda.

Where I Live

I love the look of rust.  Here is my page.  Thanks for the challenge!

I have 2 creative processes: One to "git 'r done" and one for Scrapgirl Assigments.  My personal pages to "git 'r done" are not as carefully planned or designed. I start by figuring how many photos are needed. Than, I search for the layout design. Then, I figure out the kit.  Well, for the most part. Sometimes, a kit inspires me so I use it as my inspiration. 

Thankyou Amanda for this challenge as I had the perfect photo to use which I had not yet got around to creating a page with it.  Old and Rusted

I hope it was okay that I used an old kit which I could not now find in the store. 

Here is my page: Unsolved Mysteries. It has doubled as the monthly challenge for "where I live." This abandoned oddity sits along the river that forms the southern border of the city where I live. 

My creative process: 
I wanted to use the three photos, and ultimately decided to put one in a sparse mask to blend into the rusty-looking, brown background. After placing the canvas overlay, filled with one of the blue-green papers from the Take Wing collection, I decided I liked it over the top of the mask to give the page more of a distressed look. I really liked the gears and the papers in the kit for the page, and added a few more from a couple of other collections.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:31 AM, Celestine said:

Here is my page: Unsolved Mysteries. It has doubled as the monthly challenge for "where I live." This abandoned oddity sits along the river that forms the southern border of the city where I live. 

My creative process: 
I wanted to use the three photos, and ultimately decided to put one in a sparse mask to blend into the rusty-looking, brown background. After placing the canvas overlay, filled with one of the blue-green papers from the Take Wing collection, I decided I liked it over the top of the mask to give the page more of a distressed look. I really liked the gears and the papers in the kit for the page, and added a few more from a couple of other collections.

Cool Celestine! Thanks for sharing your process with us. I love hearing how people come about creating things.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:13 AM, A-M said:

Thankyou Amanda for this challenge as I had the perfect photo to use which I had not yet got around to creating a page with it.  Old and Rusted

I hope it was okay that I used an old kit which I could not now find in the store. 

Yep! Completely ok Anne-Marie! I know I have a lot of products ?

• 2 weeks later...