Linked gallery images in the Challenge forums

A-M

I have noticed a few linked small gallery images in the challenge forums.  Is this allowed? 

Also how is it achieved as I had a little look in the gallery with one of my pages and could not see how it would be done ?

Do you mean when members post a copy of their layout in the challenge thread along with their link?  I think other sites do that but we’ve never done it at ScrapGirls.  It seems to make the thread longer and harder to read and really isn’t necessary since the posted link brings you to the layout itself.    

Is that what you meant?  I’ve wondered about that also since we’ve never done that here before.

@MariJ  They are smaller images than what is in the gallery and if you click on them they take you to the full size in the gallery.

I asked the first question as  I thought it was stated in the rules somewhere that we are not allowed to include images in the forum threads for our challenges. 

8 hours ago, A-M said:

@MariJ  They are smaller images than what is in the gallery and if you click on them they take you to the full size in the gallery.

I asked the first question as  I thought it was stated in the rules somewhere that we are not allowed to include images in the forum threads for our challenges. 

Oh, ok.  The ones I’ve seen are large/full-sized images that take you to the same image in the gallery.   I’ve never seen that done before at ScrapGirls.

If you post a link into a post, it will automatically show a preview of the image it links to. Like below, I put in a link for a strawberry pie recipe. To post it without a preview, just use the link icon in the top bar of the post. You can use it to add a link to text, or if you just add the link in the top box, it will show the link without the preview.

18 hours ago, A-M said:

They are smaller images than what is in the gallery and if you click on them they take you to the full size in the gallery.

We prefer that you don't add the images to the forum threads, because it uses more server space. Adding a link doesn't put the image in a second time, so it is a better option. It does still make the threads longer to scroll though. It isn't a TOU issue, but what we prefer. Thanks for asking!

@April Showers  If we see people posting that linked image should we let them know it is something not preferred or maybe draw it someone's like yourself or Angie's attention?

On 11/15/2020 at 2:51 AM, MariJ said:

Oh, ok.  The ones I’ve seen are large/full-sized images that take you to the same image in the gallery.   I’ve never seen that done before at ScrapGirls.

I'm pretty sure it came with the last month's forum upgrade. When you just paste in the link, the forum automatically adds it as an image. I will see if there is a way to change it to a smaller thumbnail somewhere in the back end of the forum.

2 hours ago, April Showers said:

I'm pretty sure it came with the last month's forum upgrade. When you just paste in the link, the forum automatically adds it as an image. I will see if there is a way to change it to a smaller thumbnail somewhere in the back end of the forum.

Oh, I actually saw it  happening before the upgrade and thought it was just new scrappers who do it that way at other sites, so then did it here. .   I know you can create magic sometimes.  ?  And yes it is a bit annoying to have threads so long because of the large images and I thought that it did ultimately use up more space on the server!

On 11/15/2020 at 2:21 PM, April Showers said:

We prefer that you don't add the images to the forum threads, because it uses more server space. Adding a link doesn't put the image in a second time, so it is a better option. It does still make the threads longer to scroll though. It isn't a TOU issue, but what we prefer. Thanks for asking!

I was just made aware of this...I had been posting directly from my link...So Sorry, I will correct this for future posting.