Jumpstart January 2021

ValerieT

:having-a-party: :new_year: Happy New Year :new_year: :having-a-party:

It's time to kick off what will hopefully be a better new year with some fun and a focus on scrapbooking! Join us on the Scrap Girls Forum for "Jumpstart January!" This game and challenge focuses on taking time to scrapbook regularly despite the little "speed-bumps" of life. When the month is over you'll have completed several layouts and been treated to some fun along the way.

Some tasks will require message board participation or gallery posting. check each days task for that day's requirements. Upload your layouts to the  Hodge Podge Gallery.

For every layout and task you complete you will gain one entry into the prize draw. At the end of the month I will draw two winners who will receive a $10 Gift Certificate each.

You have until 11:59pm ET on January 31st 2021 to complete the tasks and post your layouts to the Hodge Podge Gallery. There are no daily time limits.

After each task you can post your progress in this thread if you wish. PLEASE NOTE; THIS IS NOT A REQUIREMENT. Here is how;

• Make sure you save your layout as a PSD/layered file first.
  • Save your layout as a .JPEG at 72ppi with a size of 4 x 4 inches (288 x 288 pixels) this is smaller than you would normally save for the web.
  • Follow the first part of this tutorial How To Post Images In The Forum  to post your "progress" in the game thread.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st January
Speed-bump!

An easy speed-bump today, and something you should be doing regularly any.

Take time today to download, sort and/or back up your photos. When you download your photos to your computer don’t forget any photos that might be on your photo or tablet. Don’t forget to ask for any photos family or friends may have taken. You don’t have to finish the task today, but make sure you have one or more new photos to use next week.

This took me a while to do today, even though I download my photos pretty regularly.  For some reason DH's iPhone was not cooperating today!  But, the task is done.  I needed to get the rest of the December photos off anyway, to finish Project Life for 2020.

2nd January
Today we want you to share your scrapping goal for 2021. Don’t worry we aren’t going to keep tabs on what you do.

So tell us what would you like to achieve this year in regards to scrapping.

There are two things I want to achieve this year. One is at least one layout a week, and the second is to use more ScrapSimple products (beyond layout templates) in my layouts.

I want to continue scrapping daily and just let it take me wherever it goes. I learn new things by doing challenges and trying out new kits and never tire of this fabulous hobby. I find I am enjoying making scrap books of some of my favorite layouts and once in awhile I dabble in Photoshop. I want to try to improve my shadows and keep trying to make better layouts as I go.  

I need to better organize my supplies. Learning how to use the PSE 20 organizer and populating it with the last couple of years' purchases might help. I still have and use the Organizer from PSE11, but can't even imagine the number of purchases I've made since then! :D  Obviously I'll have to think hard about categories since my old generic categories ("ribbons" "frames", etc.) will have so many products that they will be almost useless. If anyone has suggestions, I'm happy to hear them!

Day one prompt done. Down loaded the last of my December photos.

Day 2 prompt done. I have several goals in regards scrapping. I want to complete the 2021 Project Life. Finish all the Challenge Chases for the year. Continue learning the big Girl, PS, a never ending goal I must admit! I have a ton of tuts and want to wade through them and use them to make some pages with the new skills I'll be learning. Another never ending goal! Want to continue organizing my stash in Bridge. Still haven't managed to learn Bridge, but am trying. After 12-15 year of buying I'm hopelessly bogged down. I think that's enough to keep me busy for the year.

6 hours ago, Florida granny said:

I need to better organize my supplies. Learning how to use the PSE 20 organizer and populating it with the last couple of years' purchases might help. I still have and use the Organizer from PSE11, but can't even imagine the number of purchases I've made since then! :D  Obviously I'll have to think hard about categories since my old generic categories ("ribbons" "frames", etc.) will have so many products that they will be almost useless. If anyone has suggestions, I'm happy to hear them!

I know what you mean about tags for individual items. I have started tagging the the previews instead. Kit, paper, brush, cluster, frames, critters, flowers etc and what ever category works for you. Along with colors it has helped me to be able to find things better. I limit the items I tag individually to those I use most frequently, such as butterflies, roses, food, etc. I'm still experimenting with this.

16 hours ago, scrapgarden said:

I know what you mean about tags for individual items. I have started tagging the the previews instead. Kit, paper, brush, cluster, frames, critters, flowers etc and what ever category works for you. Along with colors it has helped me to be able to find things better. I limit the items I tag individually to those I use most frequently, such as butterflies, roses, food, etc. I'm still experimenting with this.

It used to be so easy at ScrapGirls because all of their Designers routinely tagged embellishments, papers, etc.   So it was awesome to do a computer search and easily find items.   Now with others not doing that I have a hard time with "paper 1" "embellishment 3", etc.   I didn't realize it at first, so now I try now to tag myself, but find I'm avoiding collections I know won't be tagged.   I like your idea, Lynne, that's easier!  

January 2nd task:  My scrapping goals for this year include keeping up with Project Life layouts, not falling way behind like I have the past two years (still not done with 2019, but I'll keep going).  I see a lot of people mentioned organizing scrapping supplies; I'm pretty happy with mine, although I do have to spend a few hours here and there putting new purchases in their categories.  I'll also just continue to participate in challenges as time permits.

@MariJ, I also have found it challenging that the newer SG designers/collection pieces aren't named according to what they are (red paper, butterfly blue, etc), because that's how I used to search for specific things I wanted.  I'm trying to figure out how to handle the newer collections so that they show up in my searches - I've thought about tagging each thing in a new collection when I buy it, but I just don't have the time to do that.  So, I have to make an effort to go into the newer designers' folders on my computer and actually look for what I want.  Takes more time to search; not sure which would take more time.

@Mikelle, you are so right.  I haven't been able to find a good way to do this either.   "Finder" on my Mac always brought me up exactly what I wanted - ie - "red ribbon", etc but now that can't happen with new designer products not tagged so I miss things.  I've tried to to tag specific things or word art or newer collections, but it's true it takes too much time.  Since I don't remember to go into the newer designers' folders I'm finding I avoid those products because I end up not using them.   I wish there were an easier answer!

Task 1. I try to download my  photos right away from my camera I do have quite a few on my phone that I am putting on my computer. I let that slide a little and now I have a mess so I work on it ever day for a little while.

Task 2. I am trying to get my new PSE 2021 organized with all my styles loaded and it is giving me fits!

Happy Healthy New Year everyone.

Task One:  My phone photos automatically back up to Dropbox.  And those I then copy to my EHD.  That part is current.  I need to plug my EHD in so it can back up to my back up drive!

Task Two:  2021 Goal is  to get my 2020 layouts printed and in books!  Oh...so you say that isn't a 2021 goal??  LOLOL