How much RAM for a desktop computer?

A-M

I thought I would ask here as I know there are some clever computer people that may have some advice for me.

I am about to go shopping for a new desktop computer ( PC ).

Two years ago my graphics card got cooked from too much dust  and the technician told me the motherboard had been affected and may not last much longer. Thankfully it has lasted two years but in the last few weeks I have had the blue screen crash dump so look like it is about to die. I have been operating with the inbuilt graphics which has worked fine but now my CS6 plays up at times - sometimes freezes. 

My question is..... this computer has 16GB RAM so do I need that much in a new computer?

Hi Anne Marie, I just got a new laptop and spent a lot of time talking with Apple Support before buying.   While mine is a Mac, I think the same should apply for you but others can add in.    He told me that if you do a lot of things at the same time or have a lot of pages open it's better to have the 16GB.    Previously on my old laptop I had a lot of freezing, slow-moving, etc and PSE is normally open and I'm doing a lot of things at once on the computer while scrapping and have a lot of pages open.  So, I paid extra for it and it seems to be working well.  

Buy the biggest and best you can afford...it will be outdated in a year and all the new programs take so much to run.

I'm with Debbie, the most you can afford. I had my computer built and now have 128Gs ram. It is less expensive than having to upgrade every few years. I have 2 monitors and keep PS and Bridge and a lot of other pages open while making pages. PS and Bridge both still sometimes freeze or run slow. But they don't crash like before when I only had 32Gs. The guy who built the computer said I needed things that a gaming computer needed! Besides ram get the best processor you can afford. Good luck.

@MariJ @Boatlady @scrapgarden

Thank you all for your help.  I will be going to a place in our closest large town that build the computers themselves to the customers requirements so all should be good. Just hope this one last until I can get a new one. I have already backed up a lot of things but I going to buy another EHD and copy to it as much as I can from this computer so I have things in two EHDs. 

1 hour ago, A-M said:

Thank you all for your help.  I will be going to a place in our closest large town that build the computers themselves to the customers requirements so all should be good. Just hope this one last until I can get a new one. I have already backed up a lot of things but I going to buy another EHD and copy to it as much as I can from this computer so I have things in two EHDs. 

Good luck for you Anne Marie.  It's a worry until you can get all backed up.   Fingers crossed.   ?

• 1 month later...