Interest in doing a secret Scrapgirls paper card exchange?

lindarobin

A bit of fun to receive a real card from hundreds of miles away!  Like doing a Secret Santa, there would be a cost limit.  Basically, when the width, length, thickness and weight of the card falls within certain parameters, sending the card requires just one letter stamp.  For example, I am in Canada, so these are my costs to send a letter.  Your country would have a similar structure.

letterPostalRate.jpg.7245b1e7f27d8f177e898769a0705a7f.jpg

If there is enough interest, I can find out the weight and dimensions info.  It would be like doing a card challenge to design within the "postal restrictions".

Linda, I would be interested in taking part.

Would you set a theme for the cards we make and I assume they would be hybrid ones?

1 hour ago, A-M said:

Would you set a theme for the cards we make and I assume they would be hybrid ones?

I am open to any theme suggestions!

Hybrid or 100% digitally designed print.  To stay within the lettermail requirements, any embellishments cannot push the thickness of the card past 5mm, nor the weight past 30g.  So that can be an interesting, creative challenge!  Thinking of ways to add texture without bulk...

• 2 weeks later...

That's four of us in 3 different countries!  I managed to find stamp prices from our three countries' postal services websites.  (No easy task!?)   I will add additional countries for anyone else who wants to join this card exchange.

The number one requirement of this card exchange is to stay within the size and weight restrictions of your country's single letter stamp rules. 

internationalLetterPostal.thumb.gif.54247560b30d09d77e8f86339e9ef576.gif

I'm excited to have you all interested in participating!  My plan is that no one will know where her card is coming from until it finally arrives.  Like a Secret Santa!  I will ask that you send your name and mailing address to me via Scrapgirls Messenger.  I will "randomize" the names and message each of you with the secret name/address of your card recipient.

If everyone is comfortable with that, we can proceed.  I promise I will not share your information outside of this card exchange, just as we all would do the same for each other when we receive our recipient's name/address.

cardexchangeschedule.JPG.4a21745243bf88321aee8047f778ce76.JPG

Card Requirements:

• 5 inches x 7 inches when folded
  • less than 30g (one ounce) including envelope
  • less than 5mm (0.2 inches) thickness including envelope
  • include some SG products in your design
  • for some "where's Waldo" fun, hide a small SG logo image somewhere in your design, for us to find
  • optional: include an image that is particular to the country or region you live in
  • optional: use any real card-making embellishments as long as they do not put you past the thickness and weight limits.  e.g. flat ribbon, glitter OK; buttons, big 3D flowers NOT OK

Your postage cost depends on length, width, thickness and weight.  The card requirements above should ensure low cost postage, however, please confirm and adhere to your country's lettermail size and weight rules, as they may differ slightly from country to country.

1 hour ago, lindarobin said:

Oh!  I just came across this in the forum TOU

• Only Scrap Girls Team members may start challenges, chats, games and activities. Members who have suggestions for these items should contact a team member.

I'm going to do that right now.

You're fine! I've been watching the thread and you're okay to to the exchange.

20 hours ago, April Showers said:

You're fine! I've been watching the thread and you're okay to to the exchange.

Fantastic, thanks, April!

Thanks to those who have sent me their info.  Everyone else, please do so by Feb. 28.  Lots of time to join in - let's spread the joy!

This sounds like so much fun!! A couple of things I would like to point out....be sure you alot your size for your envelope...I usually allow .25 for top and bottom. Or you can simply make your own. Another thought, I have had cards returned simply because there were too many layers, for instance large flowers attached....they can be torn when they try to use mail meter...I have had cards returned because of this....

You bring up some good points about envelopes, Terri.  Here are a couple more:

1. If you already have an envelope, you can design your card to fit that envelope.
  2. If you are going to make your own envelope, it needs to be well sealed so that no parts can get caught and torn in the letter processing machinery.  If you see online instructions for no-tape/no-glue envelopes, sorry... you will definitely need tape or glue.

No bulky, no bumpy embellishments.  As Terri warns, your card may be returned.  Thick bulky cards are not considered lettermail.  They are packages, and therefore they are subject to package shipping rates.

Edited by lindarobin

I've been watching this thread in hopes of at some point being able to join in, but so far life conditions aren't optimal.    If I can manage before the end of the month I'll let you know, but hoping to join in the future if it's done again.   It's a wonderful idea and thanks Linda for thinking and organizing.

I wanted to reiterate what April said above.   When I was participating in Hybrid ATCs and would bring them to the post office, they actually had this little device that had a ¼" opening and they would put the envelope through it.   If it went through easily, it was a letter.   If not - you were charged the package rate.  

Good luck everyone!

Thanks, April and Marilyn, for mentioning that there are additional tiers of lettermail which allow you to send bigger, thicker cards, for a bit more postage.  Dimensions and weight restrictions probably vary amongst countries.  Everyone, please be aware of what they are where you live.

As cards don't tend to be heavy, it's more often thickness that can tip you over to package rates.  That's a significant jump in price, and I don't want anyone to "go over budget".

It would be lovely if you can join this card exchange, Marilyn!

On 2/12/2021 at 7:25 PM, AnnBK said:

OK...I just cannot pass this by!  Please allow lots of time, but I'm in!

Hi, Ann!  Hope you are still interested in participating.  Here's the schedule again.

cardexchangeschedule.JPG

I would like to take this opportunity to ask all participants if they would like to receive TWO cards?  For those who are interested, I will give you two names to make cards for.  Send two; receive two!

On 2/15/2021 at 11:17 PM, lindarobin said:

Card Requirements:

• 5 inches x 7 inches when folded
  • less than 30g (one ounce) including envelope
  • less than 5mm (0.2 inches) thickness including envelope
  • include some SG products in your design
  • for some "where's Waldo" fun, hide a small SG logo image somewhere in your design, for us to find
  • optional: include an image that is particular to the country or region you live in
  • optional: use any real card-making embellishments as long as they do not put you past the thickness and weight limits.  e.g. flat ribbon, glitter OK; buttons, big 3D flowers NOT OK

Your postage cost depends on length, width, thickness and weight.  The card requirements above should ensure low cost postage, however, please confirm and adhere to your country's lettermail size and weight rules, as they may differ slightly from country to country.

For those participating, here again are the important details.  5x7 inches is a recommended size, but you can go bigger or smaller as long as you are within your lettermail size rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Linda,
I thought I had saved my inbox for the addresses and names of the 2 I have to send out, and I deleted all my inbox messages.I only saved the instructions. Silly me. Could you send it to me again please? I am done just have to print the address labels.

Thanks!
Andrea

On 2/10/2021 at 7:41 AM, terriscrapper said:

Linda, I would be interested in doing this!

I received your beautiful card Terri! Thank you I LOVE it. I'll upload the card later to the Hybrid Gallery. Just have to get a good photo of it.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:52 PM, alsoarty said:

Hi Linda,
I thought I had saved my inbox for the addresses and names of the 2 I have to send out, and I deleted all my inbox messages.I only saved the instructions. Silly me. Could you send it to me again please? I am done just have to print the address labels.

Thanks!
Andrea

Hi, Andrea, I re-sent the addresses to your SG email.

Whoo-hoo, the first card of this exchange has been received!  Yes, that's a great idea... we can all post photos of the cards we receive, in the Hybrid Gallery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 9:37 PM, alsoarty said:

I got 2 cards! Both gorgeous, thanks, and Linda the hidden SG logo is hard to find. Is it behind one petal of the large flower? I Think I see it peeping out...

I got yours today, Andrea - it's beautiful, thank you!  The vellum insert is a gorgeous touch of class.  Thanks also for the cool SG stickers!  I will post a photo once everyone has received their cards.

Yes, I think you found it:

Untitled.jpg.8dc62a8cbcbee213af22e21cc8f5e8f8.jpg