Spam post and forum notifications

angleigh

First I wanna say I’m sorry to anyone who woke up this morning to 100+ emails from the message board.

It looks like late last night a spammer got on the message board and posted basically the same topic over and over. If you are subscribed to the form that they did this in and choose  to have instant notifications you would have received an email for everyone...just like I woke up to ?

I have flagged the person as a spammer so they’re not gonna be able to post again with that name. And I will keep an eye on new member sign-ups today for the message board to see if there’s anything odd that pops up. I’ve also put in a support ticket with the message board software company to see if there’s any extra layers of security that we are not already using that can be added....but it’s hard to keep 1 step ahead of these people

Again sorry about this

• 4 weeks later...

Hey gals...yeah, we woke up to this again today.  I do want you all to know that each time they do this we change up and/or add another layer of spam prevention on the site.  We keep trying to make it harder and harder for them to sign up and post.  But I'm also trying to keep in mind not making it too hard for legit new people to sign up also.  So it's a balancing act.   But again sorry for anyone that woke up to notifications in your inbox!

On 4/6/2021 at 10:30 PM, Belle said:

I'm one of the unlucky one's. I put them in my spam folder then all my Scrap Girls goes into spam. Like you said,  it's a balancing act. 

The emails are from the forum, so not really from the spammer. When you put them in your spam folder, it flags the forum as the spammer which makes it harder for everyone to get the emails. One way to avoid getting so many when our forum gets hit is to go through and edit your subscriptions - especially to older topics. 

• 2 weeks later...