Come Brainstorm With Me

angleigh

So I have a question for everyone.  Last month I decided I really wanted to see if I could put some focus on the message board and think of way to get new involvement here.  The things happened and I didn't get to start on this at the first of the month like I wanted to, but i'm wrapping up some things right now and next week I really want to sit down and look at this.

As we all know forums like this don't have as much foot traffic as they once did, can we all say thank you social media..lol  But it's true social media really did hurt these type of platforms.  It's so easy to open Facebook, Instagram, etc and see what's new in everything your interested in.  It's the ease of  having things right at your fingertips.

With that in mind, I wanted to turn to you all and see if you had any ideas on changes or things that might bring more people.  One of my thoughts was I need to advertise the games and such on social media more.  Not play them there, but advertise to get them here.  

And speaking of monthly games, what are your thoughts on that?  We have to figure out what we're doing for the summer.  Do we like shorter games better?  Do we want them that last all month long?  Do you like scrapping based games or a mixture?

I know alot of people are doing virtual meetings and such now.  Sometimes I think that would be fun to have a virtual chat or a virtual "get together"  Not sure how we'd do it.

As you see my ideas are all over the place..lol  So I invite you all to join in ?  What are your thoughts?  Ideas?  If you don't feel comfortable leaving them here send me a PM or a email and let me know.   And i'll warn you now next week when you smell smoke coming from the midwest..that's just my brain a turning.  lol

I love your brain and how it's thinking of new ideas etc. I've done a few Zoom meetings, and that is something I'd like us to do, a zoom chat at least once a month. I like month long games, always the World tour is also well attended. Maybe we can have a month long game based on a letter of the alphabet, and use that in something you find around you, like out downtown or in the country etc. Like R - you can take a photo of a rock, or a rabbit etc. Also if you post a challenge, do it on FB or Insta, and make them post their layouts here? I will email you my other idea... 

I know a lot of the members here are not active on other sites like I am so I will just share that two I know of have large events. The problem is with both these other sites their events attract participation while the event happens but afterwards all those extra people seem to disappear. Possibly on average one new person sticks around and becomes more involved on the site.   One site has a month of challenges - a new challenge each day and if you take part in each challenge and follow the instructions precisely you receive a $20 voucher to the store. The other site has   a  themed month of weekly challenges with everyone voting each week for their favourite layouts. The person who receives the most votes at the end of the time receives prizes and a spot on the store Creative Team. 

But as I shared on both those sites it only generates activity of that time and it all dies back to normal afterwards. 

A zoom chat would be fun but that will possibly not generate new members only appeal to the regular members. 

I think advertising stores on social media, new products. Forum games, or activities, and then attract customers to come here to play. This is a good idea.

When people see these interesting advertisements, they want to have a look.

It's just that the only thing we need is to actively post these activities or advertisements on Facebook or twitter or ins. For example: new collection. New products, new activities, etc

I would love to Zoom but it would be in the middle of the night here.

I also think the ladies love to chat but when we did go live the one time, everybody was to shy to say anything.

I like shorter tasks so we get to do more layouts. I love the march madness type op challenge.

I joined because I saw the daily newsletter and read all the fantastic things that happened on Scrap Girls.

Facebook adds would work. 

I think with Zoom, there could be two meetings a month at different times to allow for differing time Zones. At least it would give us all a chance to get together with some of our Scrapgirl buddies. With Covid, people are more used to doing Zoom, so they may be more comfortable to chat it up now.

I have tossed some ideas into the Welcome Committee thread already, but I am so curious to see what everyone is interested in trying. 

If we are looking to add people to the Forum, I am not sure that Zoom or Chats are the ideal vehicle. I believe those types of interactions are best for strengthening relationships among existing membership, and might be fun for those already fairly active on the Forum, but I think new people often take a more anonymous or "wait and see" approach. 

One thing that I think might help a little with new people is to have a Welcome Committee member assigned to touch base with New Members who introduce themselves on the Forum and check in with them after a month or so through a Private Message to see if they have questions or know about the giveaways, challenges, and encourage them to post a layout. Do you think this would be helpful or intrusive?

19 hours ago, A-M said:

I know a lot of the members here are not active on other sites like I am so I will just share that two I know of have large events. The problem is with both these other sites their events attract participation while the event happens but afterwards all those extra people seem to disappear. Possibly on average one new person sticks around and becomes more involved on the site.   One site has a month of challenges - a new challenge each day and if you take part in each challenge and follow the instructions precisely you receive a $20 voucher to the store. The other site has   a  themed month of weekly challenges with everyone voting each week for their favourite layouts. The person who receives the most votes at the end of the time receives prizes and a spot on the store Creative Team. 

But as I shared on both those sites it only generates activity of that time and it all dies back to normal afterwards. 

A zoom chat would be fun but that will possibly not generate new members only appeal to the regular members. 

This is for sure something I've thought about.  It happens here when we have our events, the participation is up for that time but once it's over it dies back down.

@Celestine  I think the one on one idea sounds good. It made me remember when I first joined Scrap  Girls and was getting to know my program - PSE6 a lady named Deb ( she is no longer on the site) took me under her wing and did a lot of personal tutoring for me. 

Have been thinking. I sometimes check on several other sites and occasionally do a LAD challenge on one of them. So why do I keep coming back to SGs? A big one is the challenge prompts are more traditional. I will sometimes do an artsy journal page, if I have too, but I don't enjoy them. The site is easy to get around in and the Forum seems to be checked more often than other sites. Generally if you have a question it gets answered quickly. I do miss the chatting sidebar. I like that people will get chatty when LOL on your pages, not just a 'like' or some such. And that the chattiness extends to newcomers as well. I like the Newsletter showcasing what's on sale or new with page layouts and look forward to reading it everyday. After a newsletter comes out my wish list sometimes gets really full! Maybe a newsletter could sometimes be posted on social media with a request to subscribe if you like what you see? I don't really do social media so not a good one to ask about that. The Challenge Chase is a real incentive for me to do a LO and post. I try really hard to complete the Challenge Chase for my GC. Maybe it also could be advertised on social media?

As for challenges. I do enjoy the bingo games, the monthly sketch, also mostly enjoy the monthly challenges, tho that can sometimes depend on the prompts. Most of the time I don't do a month long challenge that uses a daily prompt that adds to the recipe. Will sometimes do a page after all the prompts have been given. I really like the challenges that require you to use a new technique or to use an embellishment or paper in a new and different way. Would like to occasionally see a card or siggie challenge. Maybe a month long heritage or old family member challenge with a new page prompt being given out twice a week. Maybe a prize if most or all pages are posted. This format could also be used using various other interesting subjects. The Project life project is a really good one here and I don't know if most know about it. Also the Motivators is wonderful and really keeps most of us on track. I don't think it is common knowledge. I found it by accident a couple of years ago. I like the recipe challenge, but it doesn't seem be well used. Don't know why not. Maybe occasionally requiring a LO using your monthly recipe would help, and allowing it to be used for the Challenge Chase.

I remember when I first joined SG and started making LOs. I would use the ideas from the Newsletter's 'Techniques Tuesday' to learn new things. I would make pages, but would not post them. Sometimes I was never satisfied with them and didn't know why.  (That still happens!, but now I ask for help.) But there didn't seem to be a way to ask for a critique without seeming to be a dummy. Photoshop can do that to you!! It would be nice for new, and old, members to ask for a critique on a dedicated forum thread instead of just asking in the general forum and hoping someone sees your request. Having a fresh eye(s) can be very helpful and enlightening. Also having a mentor would be very nice to help you out.

When I started there were not many classes to learn from. There are a lot now, but they are not always easy for newbies to find and when found can be overwhelming. I know sites are sometimes very closed to the idea of advertising another site, but it would be helpful to have a place where you could learn about these other sites offering classes. I know that Syndee has classes on another site and that is sometimes mentioned, but only in the context of buying her class.

I don't think the Forum is showcased enough. There are lot of interesting things going on there that are not strictly connected to challenges, but most would not think to look through the list.

If I think of anything else will be sure a post again.

17 hours ago, Belle said:

I would love to Zoom but it would be in the middle of the night here.

I also think the ladies love to chat but when we did go live the one time, everybody was to shy to say anything.

I like shorter tasks so we get to do more layouts. I love the march madness type op challenge.

I joined because I saw the daily newsletter and read all the fantastic things that happened on Scrap Girls.

Facebook adds would work. 

We would time it perfectly for a zoom chat. My sister still lives in SA and we chat (me morning) is 9 hours ahead for you - so 9 am makes is 6PM there.

7 hours ago, angleigh said:

This is for sure something I've thought about.  It happens here when we have our events, the participation is up for that time but once it's over it dies back down.

So lets just do one after the other events - so there's no break for them to die down?

Well, people will be emerging from lockdown  more and more over the next few months, so addressing this now is probably good timing.  I'm not as active here now, and haven't been since life got in the way a few years ago, but I still feel connected, and I certainly still buy new goodies!  The shredders chit chat is a really great way to feel connected.  Probably the only time I do layouts now is during the big events, because I'm doing more hybrid projects in general.  I do miss the old chats, but they may appeal most to folks who have been around a while.

@scrapgarden It was so interesting to read through your thoughts and ideas. I have gone through a thread to post for a critique before, and it was really helpful.

I am intrigued by your heritage challenge idea. For clarification, what kinds of prompts do you envision? Family-based (i.e. do a layout of grandma) or something based on a decade (do a layout with a photo from the 1950s?) or event-based (post a WW2 era photo?) or item based (post a layout with a vintage car?). Or maybe all of it? There are so many possibilities!

45 minutes ago, Celestine said:

@scrapgarden It was so interesting to read through your thoughts and ideas. I have gone through a thread to post for a critique before, and it was really helpful.

I am intrigued by your heritage challenge idea. For clarification, what kinds of prompts do you envision? Family-based (i.e. do a layout of grandma) or something based on a decade (do a layout with a photo from the 1950s?) or event-based (post a WW2 era photo?) or item based (post a layout with a vintage car?). Or maybe all of it? There are so many possibilities!

All of it and more. As your say, so many possibilities! Cemeteries are wonderful art sites and if you have a family member buried there all the better. Maybe mostly a journal story about a person or event in your family. What is your favorite old photo of someone in your family or just a very old photo. There are so many questions and stories about families: what myths, what travels, where did they come from,  what old secrets or family lore (true or not!), what were their jobs? When you throw in historical happenings with family the ideas become endless. I liked your idea of a WWII or even WWI based idea. How about the Civil War?

3 hours ago, scrapgarden said:

All of it and more. As your say, so many possibilities! Cemeteries are wonderful art sites and if you have a family member buried there all the better. Maybe mostly a journal story about a person or event in your family. What is your favorite old photo of someone in your family or just a very old photo. There are so many questions and stories about families: what myths, what travels, where did they come from,  what old secrets or family lore (true or not!), what were their jobs? When you throw in historical happenings with family the ideas become endless. I liked your idea of a WWII or even WWI based idea. How about the Civil War?

Love all these ideas! Wow. Thanks for responding.

I just thought of something else to help generate activity in the forum.... Layout of the Month.

April could still choose one layout each week from the gallery  - share those at the end of the month in a thread with a poll so we all vote for the one we like the best. The winner would win a prize. 

Anne-Marie, that sounds like an interesting idea. I have also been thinking about challenges. What about a designer of the month challenge? A designer chooses a kit to showcase, and/or makes a small 2-4 item free mini from it. You then make your LO using the kit (if you have it or want to buy it) or the mini. Designer could then choose a favorite LO and maybe there could be a small prize. I know that I have favorite designers and don't necessarily look at other designers. Since this would last all month it would also help those who don't have a lot of time to spare making LOs or shopping other designers. Obviously you could make more pages if you like. What about a challenge along the lines of the sketch challenge, only giving out a palette instead of a sketch? I tend to overlook the monthly challenge/game in the forum because it is not under the challenges. I tend to forget it is there.