Internet Explorer 7

Guest Sharebear57

[quote name='shellbw' post='124142' date='Mar 25 2007, 09:21 PM']So this past week, I completely wiped my computer and reinstalled Windows XP. At first the scanner worked again. So I continued to update and upgrade my programs to get the computer configured the way I wanted it again. Suddenly, the scanner quit working. What? After much trial and error and lots of upset moments, I figured out that it was IE7 that was causing the problem. I uninstalled IE7, and the immediately my scanner worked again! I switched right away to Firefox and will not go back to IE ever.

I'm running Windows XP with service pack 2, and just upgraded IE7 last week. My advice, ditch IE7 because there has to be some sort of huge programming problem if it caused hardware issues just from being installed.[/quote]

I don't think this was a problem with IE7. It has to do with some of the other shared components in the latest updates to Windows XP. I had the same thing happen, but it was before I upgraded to IE7. I had thought that the new round of updates would fix it, but it didn't. We had to uninstall and reinstall my HP6110 all in one from the CD, then my husband went and made sure it was udpated for the drivers. Haven't had a problem since then.

A lot of what's happening is the push for Vista. Pretty soon, there will be no support for anything older than Windows ME and maybe not even that. Vista will become the standard, but I don't want it until it's got the bugs worked out and maybe not then.

BTW, I haven't had a bit of trouble with IE7, but I didn't upgrade right away.

[quote name='s3js' post='127874' date='Apr 1 2007, 10:02 PM'][quote name='shellbw' post='124142' date='Mar 25 2007, 09:21 PM']So this past week, I completely wiped my computer and reinstalled Windows XP. At first the scanner worked again. So I continued to update and upgrade my programs to get the computer configured the way I wanted it again. Suddenly, the scanner quit working. What? After much trial and error and lots of upset moments, I figured out that it was IE7 that was causing the problem. I uninstalled IE7, and the immediately my scanner worked again! I switched right away to Firefox and will not go back to IE ever.

I'm running Windows XP with service pack 2, and just upgraded IE7 last week. My advice, ditch IE7 because there has to be some sort of huge programming problem if it caused hardware issues just from being installed.[/quote]

I don't think this was a problem with IE7. It has to do with some of the other shared components in the latest updates to Windows XP. I had the same thing happen, but it was before I upgraded to IE7. I had thought that the new round of updates would fix it, but it didn't. We had to uninstall and reinstall my HP6110 all in one from the CD, then my husband went and made sure it was udpated for the drivers. Haven't had a problem since then.

A lot of what's happening is the push for Vista. Pretty soon, there will be no support for anything older than Windows ME and maybe not even that. Vista will become the standard, but I don't want it until it's got the bugs worked out and maybe not then.

BTW, I haven't had a bit of trouble with IE7, but I didn't upgrade right away.
[/quote]

It was definitely IE7. I installed it and had scanner problems. I uninstalled it and just it, and had no problems again. I have every other update for Windows XP, and not one of them has caused the scanner to quit working. And I did get the latest version of IE7. If Microsoft is going to push for Vista and cause problems like this, I'm switching to Mac!

• 4 weeks later...
I really don't like IE7 but I am going to have to get used to it. I use several web based software applications in my job and they will only work in IE. However I still have a computer with IE6 as I have software (including something from Microsoft) which will not work correctly in IE7. Several times I have assisted people with strange computer issues which were resolved by un-installing IE7.

Archived