What can I do with my wedding cards?

ScrapgirlCindy

Hi,

I recently marked my 50th wedding anniversary.  My husband passed away 7 yrs ago so the celebration, if you want to call it that, was much different than I ever imagined it would be.  I had saved all our wedding cards from all those years ago.  To honor our anniversary, I got them out and re-read them.  They are beautiful cards and quite vintage at this point.  I am looking for ideas to scrapbook them and wondered what your thoughts were on even doing that.  I feel it's time to let the cards go but before I do I would like to scrapbook them in some way.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Cindy.   I remember how hard anniversaries and especially big ones were for my Mom after my Dad died so I understand your conflicting feelings as best I can.   My Dad died young, but my uncle even younger and my Mom said that my aunt after awhile let go of all the personal stuff as she thought it would be easier on her children some day and she felt she wanted to keep them for herself.   My Mom ended up doing the same with personal cards and items.
Your cards, though would be fun for everyone to share, even people who sent them if they are still around.   My Mom saved cards for us from when we were born and I found ones from my grownup cousins - signed in little kid print.  I actually sent them to them on the appropriate occasions.  
First I'd take photos of all of the cards and keep them on one SD card or flash drive so you will always have them in some form.
Then you could either make scrapbook pages by years or even just arrange them for all to see.   I'd guess you'd have to photograph both the front and the inside.   You could even make a slide show that could be emailed and include photos of the sender along with the cards.
Just a few thoughts and ideas, hopefully others will have more.   Good luck and I'm anxious to see what you decide to do.

Cindy, I am sure your 50th anniversary was a bittersweet day, full of happy memories but missing your husband. Vintage wedding cards are certainly beautiful, and it is so good of you to want to keep or scrap them in some way. Perhaps you can turn them into some sort of keepsake for a close family member?

My mom kept all her cards from her wedding, and I inherited them when she passed, long after my dad. When my daughter was married in 2018, I hauled out those cards, which were from 1964 and glorious in all their glittery, vintage pastels and rice papers. I decoupaged them to the interior of a vintage trunk (although in hindsight I think they would have been beautiful on the exterior of any box). I also used pieces of them for the small "C-A-R-D-S" banner that hung from the trunk. I had a small sign inside the trunk explaining the source of the decoupage was my parents' wedding cards, and there were a lot of very nice comments from guests. It was one small way to bring my parents to my daughter's wedding. 

Here are two scrapbook pages where you can see the trunk: Wedding Card Keeper and in the lower right photo on this page - Reception Details. I have to admit, it was my first time decoupaging like this, so maybe you could come up with something much more artistic! 

Marilyn, above, has given you some great ideas. I was going to suggest definitely scanning or photographing them. I also found old cards after my parents passed away and loved seeing the cards themselves along with the vintage fonts. I've used them now and then in scrapbook pages. Since wedding cards were from a happy occasion I think you'll enjoy seeing them on the computer from time to time. They are a lovely keepsake! 

Celestine answered before I submitted my answer and I think she has some fabulous ideas for you, too.

What a beautiful page to share. I enjoyed it even if not really knowing you. Your friends and family will certainty enjoy it also. Especially those generations down the road. I would love to have had remembrances from my Grandmother's wedding. I regret that I don't have many cards from my own wedding. I do have all the cards given to me by my husband. You have spurred me to action to do something with them.

• 1 year later...