Too Much Stuff!

Oh for Pete's Sake! As a gift to myself I went out and bought a nice big 2GB flash drive to organize all of my files. I tried organizing as I go but then I burn to CDs and nothing is together anymore, etc, etc.

Anyway, I am taking the files from my CDs and putting them in nice organized folders on my flash and I get about half way through when I discover my 2GB are used up! How did this happen? I did not think I had that much stuff! Oh well, luckily Office Max has a great deal on Flash Drives this week! Off to the store.

Youd be surprised how fast this hobby can eat up hard drive space! Maybe next year you should ask santa for an external hard drive. Externals are A LOT more for your money.

A few months ago I got a 500 gig external for all my work. Im hoping this baby will last me awhile!

500 may be a tad over kill for someone who isnt designing... but you can pick up 120 or bigger at best buy at super great prices when you catch them on sale.

I have over 10G in just Scrap Girl stuff! LOL And thats what is still on my hard drive and does not include what I have burned off to CD! I have to admit I took most non SG stuff and burned to CD as I just was not using most of it anyway! I still have 15G non SG scrapping stuff on my HD! Thats more than 25G and I have only been doing this since March!

OMG! LOL

Guest Happy99
I too keep everything backed up on an external drive. I got some CW CD's for xmas and will need to back up my external drive just in case!!! Got a wake up call about how someone who bought an external drive and lost everything on it - can you imagine? These days you have to have backups for backups:)

Guest Sharebear57
I know everyone is saying this, but they are so right:
BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP.
And then back up your back ups!

Over the past month, I lost my laptop (they are trying to fix it right now) AND my external hard drive crashed (on Dec 23...merry christmas to me). I will not know for sure what supplies and data has been lost permanantly until I get back home and can go through my stuff. But, you never expect it to happen. Especially when you have all your stuff on 2 sources!

But, it does happen and it is awful. When I get home, I am going to be backing up the stuff I have left to as many sources as possible.
So, back everything up and then back it up again! You will be so happy you did if disater strikes your hard drives.

Is is really possible to have too much stuff? :D

I'm another one with an external hard drive, thanks to DH a couple weeks ago. He found one, 250 GB, for $80 after rebate. I was a little concerned about their reputation for crashing, but I difinitely back up everything onto CDs/DVDs. One nice thing about the EHD is that I can use it with the desktop PC, my laptop, or DH's laptop. Very cool.

I know that somewhere on Scrapgirls Ro has a detailed list of how she organized her stuff. I have been looking for it and stumbled on this instead so I'll add my 2 Cents worth. I'm like everyone else, too much stuff and I'll probably never use half of it but can't part with a single thing. I have two computers networked together and I put my zipped files over on the 2nd computer as well as an external Hard Drive besides. Are we paranoid?? Hard drive on the networked printer is getting full though and its down to sloooowwww. Can anyone point me to the blurb by Ro? or even know what I'm talking about?

Guest dawnsmemories
[quote name='Actnfunny' post='79962' date='Dec 30 2006, 09:21 AM']I know that somewhere on Scrapgirls Ro has a detailed list of how she organized her stuff. I have been looking for it and stumbled on this instead so I'll add my 2 Cents worth. I'm like everyone else, too much stuff and I'll probably never use half of it but can't part with a single thing. I have two computers networked together and I put my zipped files over on the 2nd computer as well as an external Hard Drive besides. Are we paranoid?? Hard drive on the networked printer is getting full though and its down to sloooowwww. Can anyone point me to the blurb by Ro? or even know what I'm talking about?[/quote]

I think this is what you are looking for... [url="http://www.scrapgirls.com/managing_digital_scrapbooking_supplies.htm"]organizing your digital supplies[/url] It is also in the 15 things you need to know to become a great digital scrapbooker, I believe.

Hope that helps!
Dawn

Guest Sharebear57
Ok. Here is the link to Ro's organization tips in the university.

[url="http://www.scrapgirls.com/managing_digital_scrapbooking_supplies.htm"]http://www.scrapgirls.com/managing_digital...ng_supplies.htm[/url]

Here is a link to another post I made in response to someone else's question about organization. It includes links to several helpful threads in the message board (including Ro's article in the U)

[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=6582&view=findpost&p=76956"]http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...ost&p=76956[/url]

(let me know if these links don't work)

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='scrappylibrarian' post='79379' date='Dec 27 2006, 05:26 PM']Oh for Pete's Sake! As a gift to myself I went out and bought a nice big 2GB flash drive to organize all of my files. I tried organizing as I go but then I burn to CDs and nothing is together anymore, etc, etc.

Anyway, I am taking the files from my CDs and putting them in nice organized folders on my flash and I get about half way through when I discover my 2GB are used up! How did this happen? I did not think I had that much stuff! Oh well, luckily Office Max has a great deal on Flash Drives this week! Off to the store.[/quote]

Hello scrappy librarian & everyone,

I'm a librarian too! :partytime2: (should we tell them we know how to party? :breakdance: ) Man! I love your icons over here.

I just posted on another thread about our [url="http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/forum/"]new website[/url] & tutorials for ACDSee. My sister & I have found that this software is really a scrapper's best friend. It solves some of the problems I was reading about in this thread. HeidiD is using it - so she can help tell about it.

- it's fast for searching & [url="http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/files/files.php?cat=2"]our tutorials [/url]have made it easy to set up
- when people catalog they find things they never knew they had
- you can see white pngs & your fonts (as well as catalog them)
- and this is for you scrappy librarian - you can take your discs & catalog the items on them & see & search the thumbnails of all the images - even when the discs aren't in the computer (that's a cool feature)

and I saw some of you talking about backing up - we've been using ACDSee to use two EHD's - one for the digital kits & the other for the automatic backup. (I'm going to post on our blog tonite about buying an EHD).

So we're around if you need help. We're going to have a grand opening for our website in the end of Jan. :partytime2:
Connie

[quote name='Connie' post='83900' date='Jan 14 2007, 07:14 PM'][quote name='scrappylibrarian' post='79379' date='Dec 27 2006, 05:26 PM']
Oh for Pete's Sake! As a gift to myself I went out and bought a nice big 2GB flash drive to organize all of my files. I tried organizing as I go but then I burn to CDs and nothing is together anymore, etc, etc.

Anyway, I am taking the files from my CDs and putting them in nice organized folders on my flash and I get about half way through when I discover my 2GB are used up! How did this happen? I did not think I had that much stuff! Oh well, luckily Office Max has a great deal on Flash Drives this week! Off to the store.[/quote]

Hello scrappy librarian & everyone,

I'm a librarian too! :partytime2: (should we tell them we know how to party? :breakdance: ) Man! I love your icons over here.

I just posted on another thread about our [url="http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/forum/"]new website[/url] & tutorials for ACDSee. My sister & I have found that this software is really a scrapper's best friend. It solves some of the problems I was reading about in this thread. HeidiD is using it - so she can help tell about it.

- it's fast for searching & [url="http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/files/files.php?cat=2"]our tutorials [/url]have made it easy to set up
- when people catalog they find things they never knew they had
- you can see white pngs
- and this is for you scrappy librarian - you can take your discs & catalog the items on them & see & search the thumbnails of all the images - even when the discs aren't in the computer (that's a cool feature)

and I saw some of you talking about backing up - we've been using ACDSee to use two EHD's - one for the digital kits & the other for the automatic backup. (I'm going to post on our blog tonite about buying an EHD).

So we're around if you need help. We're going to have a grand opening for our website in the end of Jan. :partytime2:
Connie
[/quote]

Hmm, cataloging. You must be a librarian! Are you school or public? I will be sure to check out your site, thanks for the heads up.

ummmm yeah - cataloging gone extreme :banana: (but on the serious side - I have a hard time getting anything scrapped when I can't find what I'm looking for & know I had).

I am in a public system & supervise 7 branches. How about you?

I love finding information for people - they always go away happy! :)

[quote name='Connie' post='83934' date='Jan 14 2007, 09:02 PM']ummmm yeah - cataloging gone extreme :banana: (but on the serious side - I have a hard time getting anything scrapped when I can't find what I'm looking for & know I had).

I am in a public system & supervise 7 branches. How about you?

I love finding information for people - they always go away happy! :)[/quote]

Elem school library here. I love it because I get to do EVERYTHING! Selection, cataloging, reference, weeding.... you name it. Plus summers off!!!!

[quote name='scrappylibrarian' post='83939' date='Jan 14 2007, 09:35 PM']Elem school library here. I love it because I get to do EVERYTHING! Selection, cataloging, reference, weeding.... you name it. Plus summers off!!!![/quote]

Well I'm jealous of your summers off - but that's when we have your kids - for summer reading program, so that's always fun! And I'm part of a regional library system - so our selection, cataloging, repair, etc is centralized in region office. But we get pretty much anything purchased that we (I mean our customers) ask for

I love doing the PR & marketing... that's fun.

• 1 month later...
I have just been digitally scrapping for a little over two months and I have already acquired so much stuff. So glad to see these suggestions. I have been dragging my feet on pulling out my external hard drive to back stuff up but I think I will do that tonight!! Thanks for the reminder of how important this is :-)

Jenn

Archived