Anyone Know Anything About Gimp?

ginaMO

Hi Gina, I have used this program and it is pretty similar to Photoshop (some of the things have slightly different names) I am now using Elements and I like it better just because it uses the same language and conventions that we talk about here. GIMP is not hard to learn however, I taught a group of 4-6th graders over the summer in one day. If you are looking for a freebie it is not bad, but you can find PSE pretty cheap for the older versions these days.
I have seen discussion on GIMP in other digi scrap forums but not a whole lot at ScrapGirls.

Guest Student4Life
I used to use it beore I had PSE and it worked really well. I could lots of things. I was very surprised that the GIMP was free as you could do so much with it. The trouble for me was that the version I was using (and this was a beta version two years ago) kept crashing on me, so I recommend saving often!

My husband is crazy about open source software as he's a software engineer and it suits his philosophies. So despite the fact that he purchased PSE 5 for me as a Christmas present he's still trying to get me back to using theGIMP.

• 2 weeks later...
I just saw this topic. I use theGimp. I really like it for the most part and I've been able to figure out ways of doing almost everything that I've seen in tutorials for Photoshop by figuring out what it would be called in the Gimp. Sometimes I've had to go find a new script for Gimp to help with things. I don't know. I really would like to upgrade to Photoshop eventually but in the meantime the Gimp is a fantastic FREE alternative :)

Thanks to everyone for the info. I downloaded GIMP because it is free and I'm playing with it a bit, but I dunno. It doesn't seem to do any more (and sometimes less) than the vector program I use> I'm gonna check out several other programs before I buy anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, you can save as jpgs, pngs, gifs, you name it.

The GIMP also has it's own file format XCF that preserves the layers.

ginaMO, not trying to convert you, especially if you have a program that you already like to use, but if you look around online people have written scripts for the GIMP that increase its abilities. So, some things (not everything) can be easily added to it's abilities.

Archived