Help with Photoshop Elements

KTB

I use to use PSE a few yrs ago.

I just got a new laptop, downloaded PSE, and while I did manage to improve a photo quite nicely, I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I am used to Procreate for the iPad which is wonderfully intuitive.

Can I bounce questions off any of you "guys"? 

Eg, How do I merge an embellishment to stay with a paper?

Hi KTB, do you mean you want the embellishment to become a part of the paper so it's one "piece"?
If so, in PSE 20 on a Mac I would highlight both layers then hit "Command E".  

I'm not sure what the equivalent to "Command" is on a PC, maybe "Control" E?

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding you correctly, but keep asking, someone is always around to help.

Are you perhaps talking about attaching a photo or paper to a mask You would have your photo on the layer above the mask, if it's PSE 2021 Ctl, Alt, G.

If it's an older version of PSE, it would be Ctl G. I use Windows not a Mac.

Are you familiar with Procreate? You can see exactly what layer does what. I just want to add different things to different layers and be able to see how it is coming along. I often put a different shade by filling it in underneath the (main) paper so the color is a bit closer to what I like best. Then I make the second layer ie the paper slightly transparent. I love the way it turns out.

With PSE I may even be in the wrong area to do this.

I have a new MacBook Air. I’m familiar with PC's although I have never done ANY sort of artwork on them.

I am between a rock and a hard place as I am utterly inept at this!

I DID manage to get the styles done then I tried to send it to Procreate (which is oh SO much easier for me to use). Well, the Styles could not adhere to the letters. I just don't know what Im doing wrong.

Hi, are you trying to use the style in Procreate or in PSE?   I'm not sure styles work in Procreate, but if you have them installed in PSE on your computer here's what I do.
First, click on the embellishment or item you want to use the style on so it is active.
Next, double-click on the style you want to use and it should be applied to the active layer.
Does that make sense?  That's what I do in PSE 2020 on my MacBook Air.    Not sure if that applies to what you are using, but keep asking and we'll try to keep answering.  

5 hours ago, MariJ said:

Hi, are you trying to use the style in Procreate or in PSE?   I'm not sure styles work in Procreate, but if you have them installed in PSE on your computer here's what I do.
First, click on the embellishment or item you want to use the style on so it is active.
Next, double-click on the style you want to use and it should be applied to the active layer.
Does that make sense?  That's what I do in PSE 2020 on my MacBook Air.    Not sure if that applies to what you are using, but keep asking and we'll try to keep answering.  

Hiya, Marilyn!

Sure, you make sense!

I managed to apply styles in PSE. I was pretty proud of myself because I’ve been sorta struggling with PSE. I sent it over the page to my iPad to finish up in Procreate which is a cinch for me to use. When I opened the page the styles applied to the letters just disappeared. But as you essentially said, maybe they are not meant to be in at all in Procreate. So I cheated and took a screenshot.

@KTB If you took a PSD file from PSE over to Procreate that would be why the styles did not stay as you wanted them. You could always add the style to your letters and save as a separate file in PNG format and add that to your Procreate. 

4 hours ago, A-M said:

@KTB If you took a PSD file from PSE over to Procreate that would be why the styles did not stay as you wanted them. You could always add the style to your letters and save as a separate file in PNG format and add that to your Procreate. 

That makes total sense!  

19 hours ago, A-M said:

Hi!

How do you go about saving them?

19 hours ago, A-M said:

I'm not sure I know how to save them.

@KTB  If you do not already know how to save a file in your program which is a very fundamental step, I am not sure if I can help you any further.

You should be able to see at the top of your program "File" and then "Save as" and you would choose to save the file as a PNG so you keep the background transparent. 

16 hours ago, A-M said:

@KTB  If you do not already know how to save a file in your program which is a very fundamental step, I am not sure if I can help you any further.

You should be able to see at the top of your program "File" and then "Save as" and you would choose to save the file as a PNG so you keep the background transparent. 

Thanks!!!!

Would you happen to know if there are other programs besides PSE and Photoshop that use styles? I am thinking do I really want to pay $100 for something with such a high learning curve. I bought PSE for Dummies and it's not all that great.

Actually I just found it for $60. ;o)

Edited by KTB
New info

@KTB  I think styles can only used in Photoshop programs.

If you are after a less expensive program... Affinity Designer  found HERE  is good and there are lots of tutorials for using it. The one advantage with  it is that you own the program - download to your computer not like the new version of Photoshop that you never really own. 

18 hours ago, A-M said:

Of course I know how to save a file! I just wasn't sure how to save it with the styles intact. This is a brand new program for me and it is needlessly complicated. Actually that's how people learn- by asking questions.

Actually as far as I know, it is Photoshop that you "rent" and Photoshop Elements that you own. I'll definitely look into it. It use to be a very intuitive program.

Edited by KTB
More info.

3 hours ago, KTB said:

Of course I know how to save a file! I just wasn't sure how to save it with the styles intact. This is a brand new program for me and it is needlessly complicated. Actually that's how people learn- by asking questions.

Actually as far as I know, it is Photoshop that you "rent" and Photoshop Elements that you own. I'll definitely look into it. It use to be a very intuitive program.

Hi again, so you are using PSE now along with Procreate?   I can tell you that when I started in PSE (6) I knew nothing about the program.   But I found that by trying to create layouts and asking questions (you're right it's how you learn!) along the way (SGs say there's never a silly question) I slowly started to learn the program.  Me? I wish I could learn more about Procreate, it feels so different and confusing to me!   That said, I'm wondering if your knowledge of Procreate makes it a little harder to use a different program like PSE because they don't act the same?  
I'd encourage you to keep trying Elements by using it -- and keep asking questions!   I didn't even attempt to use styles (shadows included!) for a long time when I started scrapping.  One step at a time, it'll come!

And, PS - the best books I ever found were the "Missing Manual" ones.   Don't know if they still have them but again - I really learned most by trying to use PSE little by little...

Hope I'm making sense, it's been a long day!

6 hours ago, Belle said:

Once you have applied your style try simplifying the letters or whatever you are doing. Won't that perhaps work? 

I wondered the same, Belle, that's a good idea.    I know if I don't simplify my embellishment after the style is applied, I can't close the layout, reopen and try to move the embellishment or a white box will appear around it.   Jody figured that out for me.

KTB, maybe try Belle's suggestion?   When you are in PSE and in your layout, click on the layer with the style to activate it.   Go to top menu and click on Layer.   In the drop-down menu click "Simplify".   Then try moving the file to Procreate and see what happens.

16 hours ago, MariJ said:

Hi again, so you are using PSE now along with Procreate?   I can tell you that when I started in PSE (6) I knew nothing about the program.   But I found that by trying to create layouts and asking questions (you're right it's how you learn!) along the way (SGs say there's never a silly question) I slowly started to learn the program.  Me? I wish I could learn more about Procreate, it feels so different and confusing to me!   That said, I'm wondering if your knowledge of Procreate makes it a little harder to use a different program like PSE because they don't act the same?  
I'd encourage you to keep trying Elements by using it -- and keep asking questions!   I didn't even attempt to use styles (shadows included!) for a long time when I started scrapping.  One step at a time, it'll come!

And, PS - the best books I ever found were the "Missing Manual" ones.   Don't know if they still have them but again - I really learned most by trying to use PSE little by little...

Thanks for your encouraging words, Marilyn! PSE and Procreate definitely differ. I know Procreate fairly well and just love it. I'll keep at PSE. You are right. I'll get it! Incidentally, Apple's Book Store has a free manual for Procreate.

8 hours ago, MariJ said:

I wondered the same, Belle, that's a good idea.    I know if I don't simplify my embellishment after the style is applied, I can't close the layout, reopen and try to move the embellishment or a white box will appear around it.   Jody figured that out for me.

KTB, maybe try Belle's suggestion?   When you are in PSE and in your layout, click on the layer with the style to activate it.   Go to top menu and click on Layer.   In the drop-down menu click "Simplify".   Then try moving the file to Procreate and see what happens.

I'll try it!!!

5 hours ago, KTB said:

Thanks for your encouraging words, Marilyn! PSE and Procreate definitely differ. I know Procreate fairly well and just love it. I'll keep at PSE. You are right. I'll get it! Incidentally, Apple's Book Store has a free manual for Procreate.

I do have that book on my iPad, but every time I went to look at it I got interrupted and was never able to get back to it, it's so long.   I guess mostly I really like scrapping on my laptop, so probably wouldn't do well on my iPad and without all my scrapping supplies!   

Thanks for the great tip, I actually forgot I had the book.  :hit-head-with-hammer: ?

Hi KTB, I haven't used PSE for many years but I definitely think using "Simplify" would work.  I'm assuming you want to bring the embellishments/letters into Procreate after you've applied a Style?  But that effect isn't there when you bring it into Procreate?

And there are no silly questions.  We all learn by asking questions.  And often the questions we ask, will help someone else who has a similar issue.

Hope you manage to figure it out.  :)

On 8/25/2021 at 8:59 PM, MariJ said:

I just got another look at the Procreate Manual- what a disaster! Maybe someone wanted to get on with her weekend!

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2021 at 5:59 PM, MariJ said:

I do have that book on my iPad, but every time I went to look at it I got interrupted and was never able to get back to it, it's so long.   I guess mostly I really like scrapping on my laptop, so probably wouldn't do well on my iPad and without all my scrapping supplies!   

Thanks for the great tip, I actually forgot I had the book.  :hit-head-with-hammer: ?

Check to see if you can upload a collection to Adobe. Loud. I do that for my photoshop Cc. I’m yet to try scrapping on my PS on my iPad.