New To Mac, Help with Files 2021

michgirl

After 25 years of Windows based PCs, I got my very first MacBook Pro!  For nearly as long, I have used ACDsee for my scrap supplies. Not only do I have years of folders with kits, I also have duplicated everything and sorted into folders (papers by colors, ribbons, frames, etc.) and this method has been the best for me.  I am reading some old posts to learn what other Mac users do and am looking for the best suggestions for 2021.  Is Bridge able to easily browse folders and send items into Photoshop?  (I am subscriber.)  Thank you for your help -

Welcome to Mac, I love mine!   I'm sorry that I don't use any of those programs.   What I did was create a folder in my "Documents" folder named "Scrapbook".  Inside that I have individual folders with my purchases.   I started with "Scrapbook 1", etc.   I keep collections together and use FINDER to search in the Scrapbook folder when I need something.    This works very well with ScrapGirl Designer purchases since all those Designers tagged their products so well.   Now some newer Designers use "Paper 1, Emb 1," etc so it's hard to find things unless I tag them myself.    

It's pretty rudimentary but has worked for me.   I don't use Bridge, sorry.    Hopefully someone else will come along who does.   Good luck and post again if you have any Mac questions.  I had a White MacBook, MacBook Pro and now a new MacBook Air with M1 chip, I've loved them all.   

Thank you for your reply!  I am awaiting an adapter in order that I can plug in my drive and move all of my files over. Then I will check out how well your method works for me. Thank you for your warm welcome, looking forward to learning my Mac Book Pro. Yours sound very nice!  

I loved my MacBook Pro, but it didn't have enough space (mostly because of scrapping supplies and photos!) and was getting old so I gave it up for my new one.   Does your new laptop have the new connection USB-C connector and is that what you need the adapter for?   My MacBook Air has that and at times it's frustrating to have to use an adapter for everything I plug in.   But, I'm sure more and more products will be using it soon!

Good luck!  :) 

I love my new MacBook Air!!! If you use a iPad at all, I heartily recommend Procreate. I think it is up to a whopping $10 and so very user friendly, intuitive.

I've been trying to teach myself Photoshop Elements and, while it is a comprehensive app, it just isn’t intuitive at all!

You will likely find that, as a rule, Macs are quite user friendly and easy to use. I use to let my third graders loose on the Macs!

Yes, it has the USB-C ports and that is why I need an adapter (or two).  It does have a smaller hard drive than what I am used to (512 GB) but I think I will be alright.  I am wondering if I should/could use an external drive, I will wait and see on that part.  But I am excited to learn the whole Mac System.  Thanks again, I am sure I will have more questions once I dig into it!

4 minutes ago, KTB said:

I love my new MacBook Air!!! If you use a iPad at all, I heartily recommend Procreate. I think it is up to a whopping $10 and so very user friendly, intuitive.

I've been trying to teach myself Photoshop Elements and, while it is a comprehensive app, it just isn’t intuitive at all!

You will likely find that, as a rule, Macs are quite user friendly and easy to use. I use to let my third graders loose on the Macs!

I do have the IPad Air, And I have Photoshop on it.  I will check out Procreate, thanks for the tip.  I did look at the MacBook Air and was very tempted by it, but not knowing much about Macs, I made my choice because the MacBook Pro was the only 16” screen available at Costco.  Other than screen size, I wasn’t sure of the differences or what else was available. 

I’m pretty good on the iPad and getting reacquainted with the Mac, so if you need any help the teacher in me just LOVES to help! 

You'll just love Procreate. It has a free user's guide in Apple’s book store. I don’t think I mentioned it although I may have ?

I have 500 gigabytes on mine. It’s a good thing I didn’t go with 250 as I am almost up to it after a mere month. The smaller screen is fine with me although if I had more $…  In fact, compared with the iPad, the screen is large!

A huge thanks on the offer to help! I am sure I will need it once I get started. Good to know that the hard drive size should be enough.  I loved the 13” screen, but wasn’t sure so I let my husband talk me into the bigger screen.  He was buying, so why not?  LOL looking forward to learning this. Thanks again.

7 hours ago, KTB said:

I agree that I've always found Apples to be very intuitive to use.

I'm glad to hear your thoughts on Procreate.   I bought it a few years ago because I wanted to draw on my iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil.  I've done that successfully, but  have no clue how to use it for scrapping, even when I read the manual.  I've found it very difficult to understand and complicated to use so I'm happy your experience is different;  I'll have to try again.
Conversely, I learned PSE with no trouble (& a little help!) and find it easy to use.   Go figure!

On 8/22/2021 at 12:51 PM, MariJ said:

Welcome to Mac, I love mine!   I'm sorry that I don't use any of those programs.   What I did was create a folder in my "Documents" folder named "Scrapbook".  Inside that I have individual folders with my purchases.   I started with "Scrapbook 1", etc.   I keep collections together and use FINDER to search in the Scrapbook folder when I need something.    This works very well with ScrapGirl Designer purchases since all those Designers tagged their products so well.   Now some newer Designers use "Paper 1, Emb 1," etc so it's hard to find things unless I tag them myself.    

It's pretty rudimentary but has worked for me.   I don't use Bridge, sorry.    Hopefully someone else will come along who does.   Good luck and post again if you have any Mac questions.  I had a White MacBook, MacBook Pro and now a new MacBook Air with M1 chip, I've loved them all.   

Hey, Marilyn!  I just bought a new MacBook Air last month and I love love love it!

• 3 months later...