Tuesday Challenge - Nov. 23, 2021

Celestine

Panoramic photography, also known as wide format photography, is a special technique that stitches multiple images from the same camera together to form a single, wide photograph (vertical or horizontal). Most digital cameras have an easy method for creating the panorama when the image is taken. Historically, they were much more difficult to put together, but great examples are featured in vintage postcards, like those produced by Curt Teich & Company. The Newberry Library in Chicago holds the Curt Teich Postcard Archives Collection. Check some out here!

For this challenge, I used a panoramic image of Michigan's Upper Peninsula that my son took on a hiking trip last year. I altered the photo with a charcoal filter and then layered a regular color version of the image on top and reduced its opacity. Then, I layered a paper that looked like vintage stone from Adrienne Skelton's Natures Playground Collection on top of the images. I was pleased with how similar my alterations looked to the halftone process used for historic Curt Teich postcards. Here is my layout.

The challenge this week is to use a panoramic image in a layout. There are so many ways to get creative with this - going modern and sleek or historic and rustic. I can't wait to see what you come up with! Post your layout in the Weekly Newsletter Gallery and then link in this thread. Don't forget to post your layout in the November Challenge Chase if you are participating.

@MariJ, I keep my photos in files per date/location/event. So, I can remember when  I took it and go to that folder and find it. Just a suggestion. Even if you start off by months, that will eliminated some options. 

30 minutes ago, Laura said:

@MariJ, I keep my photos in files per date/location/event. So, I can remember when  I took it and go to that folder and find it. Just a suggestion. Even if you start off by months, that will eliminated some options. 

Thanks, Laura!   I do have some like that and thought I took some at Citi Field and the Mets game, but no go.  I went to look at that folder and nothing there.  :(  I fear they are on my iPod or phone and it's hard to look through.  And, I can't remember when/were I took panoramas!  :banghead:  I was hoping there was a special extension but I see they are jpegs like anything else.

Thanks for the suggestions!

1 hour ago, MariJ said:

Great challenge and I know I have panoramic photos but I'm having a hard time locating them in the midst of photo overflow on all my devices.   Anyone have any easy tips on how to do that?

I do the same thing as @Laura, organizing my photos by year, month and event. That way, even if all I can remember is that I had a great photo in Colorado, at least a search in my photos will pop up with the name even if I can't remember the year.

Like many of you, I don't often take panorama photos. I was lucky there was a recent one in the folder of images my son sent to me. If you have trouble finding time this Thanksgiving week to take a panoramic image, try looking at Pixabay. Type "panorama" into the search bar and there will be many gorgeous images, available for free download. Just working with a panoramic style image will be a challenge as well. ?

1 minute ago, Celestine said:

Like many of you, I don't often take panorama photos. I was lucky there was a recent one in the folder of images my son sent to me. If you have trouble finding time this Thanksgiving week to take a panoramic image, try looking at Pixabay. Type "panorama" into the search bar and there will be many gorgeous images, available for free download. Just working with a panoramic style image will be a challenge as well. ?

Great advice!

27 minutes ago, Celestine said:

I do the same thing as @Laura, organizing my photos by year, month and event. That way, even if all I can remember is that I had a great photo in Colorado, at least a search in my photos will pop up with the name even if I can't remember the year.  @SodScrap

Oh, I wish my memory was as "together" as you all!   I actually DO what you said, by year and month - actually Mac's "Photos" does that for me and I then put relevant ones in events.     WAH....   My problem is I can't remember when I took the panoramas so I can't look!  The only ones I remember is at the Mets game, I'm going to have to look on my iPod touch.    Oh well.  I guess from now on I tag "Panorama"!   

@Celestine  thank you for this challenge as it encouraged me to scrap the most recent photo of a sunrise at my daughter's home. I hope to use all the sunrise photos I have been taking at their home for a 2023 calendar I will be creating next year.  My page is in the gallery.... Before the Sunrise