Laptop vs Desktop

Ok..i'm starting to shop for a new computer ( no @SodScrap it's not a Mac ? ) My old one was over 6 years old and I retired it last summer.  I took Justin's older one and we pieced together the better parts of the 2. (his was also about 5 years old) and that's lasted me a bit but it's starting to show it's age.

As I told my husband, this computer would be perfect for the everyday user...but i'm hard, I mean HARD on computers.  And technology has come so far in the last 6 years I need to upgrade

I was looking at desktops, but Justin told me to get a laptop with a docking station.  I had never thought of that but he said now a days laptops are just as good spec wise or sometimes better then desktop

So...do you use a laptop or desktop.  If laptop do you have a docking station and have it set up like a "traditional" computer.  

Angie - I am super interested in the responses to this as well. My computer was bought in 2014, and is doing well, but seems to be sluggish at times. Husband bought me the newest PSE for Christmas and we discovered my computer couldn't handle it, so we had to return it. I am also considering a docking station, which I had at work - but that was a long time ago now. I did like the convenience of the docking station, but mine was connected to a secure, backed-up network and would auto update files when I put the laptop back in the dock after being at a meeting or working from home. I just needed to remember to "bring" the files I needed when I detached the laptop from the network. Sometimes I really miss the convenience of a laptop, however, I don't know that  a laptop can EVER compete with the memory capacity of a tower. Like I said, I need to research some more - but I am hoping to buy something this summer. I will be very interested in hearing about your conclusions on your own research.

EDIT: I use a PC, not a MAC. 

I've never had anything but a laptop and I love it.  I love its portability both in the house and anyplace else I might want to work and it travels well,  even to Australia!.  I can't even begin to relate all the places my laptop has been, it makes things so easy.  
I work on a 13" screen which I'm sure isn't feasible for a designer, but I do fine.   I don't have a docking station (not even sure what it is - a monitor attached?) and rarely sit at a table, I'm normally working on my lap.  Since I never had a desktop or mouse, I'm useless trying to use one and quite good with the track pad.  In fact, since I'm left-handed I specifically trained myself to use my right hand on the pad, so I could use my left to write something while working and that's worked great.   I've never found anything I can't do on a laptop and to me, the convenience and portability outweighs everything else.

My newest laptop has 1TB memory and there are 2TB available too.   I work on a Mac (Yay, Conda @SodScrap - keep pushing.?) and honestly, I'm not Apple snobby but I really find them to be so intuitive and work well, especially for creating.   You might like it Angie, although the prices are way higher than PCs.  
Maybe I don't know what I've been missing, but I'd vote laptop!  

I have a PC which I use for everyday. I had it built in 2020. It has Windows 10,  a 2T SSD, 2 8T internal drives, partitioned into 6 drives. 128 GB ram, a 6 GB graphics card, 8 usb hub, a card reader with usb ports and a usb-c port, a dvd drive and wifi. I know, OVERKILL! I had just started using Photoshop CC and my old computer wasn't up to running it very well, only had 32 GB of ram. New computer was much faster with PSE. Now it slows down a bit with every new Photoshop update. I also have a laptop for travel. It isn't new, 2017, but is it sooooo sloooow compared to the PC. Also has a dvd drive and 3 usb hubs. Most new ones only have one usb port, plus a usb-c connection. When I connect my travel drive to it it really bogs down. PSCC doesn't like it, can't download the latest version. We looked to buy a new one last November and did. It had a 2T SSD, a 17 in screen and was light in weight. Had 2 usb ports and a usb-c. Was just what we wanted. We took it back. On our home internet it was so incredibly slow!!! As slow as our old one. I don't know why it was so much slower than in the store. DH is having a new PC built for himself. He has my old special built computer, but it is almost 9 years old and is showing it's age. He is getting a 2T SSD, a 4T internal drive, 32GB ram, a card reader-USB hub on the front with some on the back, a dvd, wifi, faster processor, etc. Don't know all the particulars, but it isn't any more ($1,100) than some of the ready made computers. I have no knowledge of docking stations or Macs, so can't offer an opinion on them. Do have an iPad and don't find that intuitive (sorry Marilyn) at all, but maybe the MacBook is different?

Daughter has a laptop which she is happy with. Doesn't do a lot of graphics or graphic programs. She got it from the HP online store and was able to choose various upgrade options. She has had it for a couple of years now and it very happy with it.

We are still looking for a good travel laptop. I don't know if you can have a custom made one or not. Haven't checked into that. Will be interested in what other info anyone else has to offer.

I had an old laptop (at least 2013). It worked fine but sluggish at times. For Christmas DH gifted me an all in one with a big monitor, which I'm still struggling to get used to. While I'm very appreciative of the new computer I miss not being able to move around, I wish I had known about docking stations. DH has a couple of laptops (for his work) and one of them he is able to use mac or pc.

Good luck, Angie on whatever you decide.

1 hour ago, scrapgarden said:

I have a PC which I use for everyday. I had it built in 2020. It has Windows 10,  a 2T SSD, 2 8T internal drives, partitioned into 6 drives. 128 GB ram, a 6 GB graphics card, 8 usb hub, a card reader with usb ports and a usb-c port, a dvd drive and wifi. I know, OVERKILL! I had just started using Photoshop CC and my old computer wasn't up to running it very well, only had 32 GB of ram. New computer was much faster with PSE. Now it slows down a bit with every new Photoshop update. I also have a laptop for travel. It isn't new, 2017, but is it sooooo sloooow compared to the PC. Also has a dvd drive and 3 usb hubs. Most new ones only have one usb port, plus a usb-c connection. When I connect my travel drive to it it really bogs down. PSCC doesn't like it, can't download the latest version. We looked to buy a new one last November and did. It had a 2T SSD, a 17 in screen and was light in weight. Had 2 usb ports and a usb-c. Was just what we wanted. We took it back. On our home internet it was so incredibly slow!!! As slow as our old one. I don't know why it was so much slower than in the store. DH is having a new PC built for himself. He has my old special built computer, but it is almost 9 years old and is showing it's age. He is getting a 2T SSD, a 4T internal drive, 32GB ram, a card reader-USB hub on the front with some on the back, a dvd, wifi, faster processor, etc. Don't know all the particulars, but it isn't any more ($1,100) than some of the ready made computers. I have no knowledge of docking stations or Macs, so can't offer an opinion on them. Do have an iPad and don't find that intuitive (sorry Marilyn) at all, but maybe the MacBook is different?

Daughter has a laptop which she is happy with. Doesn't do a lot of graphics or graphic programs. She got it from the HP online store and was able to choose various upgrade options. She has had it for a couple of years now and it very happy with it.

We are still looking for a good travel laptop. I don't know if you can have a custom made one or not. Haven't checked into that. Will be interested in what other info anyone else has to offer.

There is a store here that makes all their own computers (and will custom make one also)  That's where I got my last one, and the rest in our house are from them to (obviously not as fancy as mine is as they don't need it)  But it was much cheaper then buying off the shelf. I've thought about going there and seeing what they had but can't decide laptop or desktop

The fact that a laptop doesn't hold as much in storage as a desktop is not really a big thing.  I only have my programs on my c drive.  Now I have 2 internal HD's on my computer that I keep moving from computer to computer....but everything else is on EHD's and I've store items on those for a long time

1 hour ago, angleigh said:

There is a store here that makes all their own computers (and will custom make one also)  That's where I got my last one, and the rest in our house are from them to (obviously not as fancy as mine is as they don't need it)  But it was much cheaper then buying off the shelf. I've thought about going there and seeing what they had but can't decide laptop or desktop

Ask if they make custom laptops. That might help you decide, PC or Laptop?

So I went laptop.  Went back and forth looking at PC.  Justin was going to build me one, but getting the parts (especially right now since some of them are really high in price) and doing it yourself was no cheaper then getting one custom built from the local store.  They don't do laptops...I did check

I wanted the ease of being able to take my work to the couch if I wanted to...or on a car ride.  Plus I played around with Justin's laptop/docking station and honestly couldn't tell any difference.

I did not go Mac...I was so tempted.  But the fact that I've only ever had a PC plus Justin can help trouble shoot a PC if it's over my head made me stay with that.  But I was SOOO tempted.  I did alot of research and found Dell XPS was what alot called the "PC equivalent to a MAC"  They did just a few months ago come out with a new faster processor and such. 

So the  next week I'll be consolidating my EHD's and cleaning stuff out.  I'm a hoarder.  I have stuff I haven't touched in ages.  So out it goes It does have a 2TB SSD so I have plenty of room, but I don't keep alot on my computer as I mentioned in the back up thread...I keep most on a EHD and a back up EHD 

We will see I hope I like it.  Justin uses the "business" version at work and he loves them.  Fingers crossed I do to...no backing out now

Good going Angie and best of luck with it all!   That part is true about a Mac and why I first avoided them.  If you have someone to help that's not Mac, it's harder to get the help!    I think you'll love the laptop...    This from me who's never used anything but so I wouldn't know the difference!   :dunno:

I have used a Dell laptop for close to 20 years (many different ones) because I always had to transport it to the boat and now the camper. I always got one with the most memory and fastest I could get. I have never had any trouble with them for scrapping or communicating . I have several EHD too and just bought another a SSD 2 TB for the traveling we are going to do this summer.

When at the house I use another screen and the lap top so I have 2 work places. I do miss that when we are traveling.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, angleigh said:

@scrapgarden it's suppose to be here tomorrow...we shall see! I didn't buy just an "off the shelf" from Dell, I did customize it with the options they had.  So that's what's taking a bit longer

My daughter got a custom from HP a few years ago. She is real happy with it. We have a Dell now, just old. PS won't load onto it.

ps...still waiting  lol  Since mine was custom built, and it's the newest processor that was literally just released at the end of March, my built was allocated to their Asia location. The "shipped" notification was shipped from there and 5-7 business day to get to US and then needs to be delivered.  So we are looking at next Friday/Monday at the latest.

I told them I 100% understood, and was very aware it probably wasn't not being put together here.  But instead of generic ship date of 18th and delivery day of 19th, that if they knew mine was going to take longer, really just a message stating that would be all I needed.  

So still patiently (well maybe not so patiently) waiting

Ok...if you all see the smoke coming from where Missouri would be located...that's the fumes coming from me right now.

Placed the order and everything seemed to be going as planned.  The dates they said it would be processed/built etc hit right on.   I got an email on the 10th saying it was built and would take 5-7 business days to ship to the sorting facility (here in the US) and was still on schedule to be delivered on the 19th

On the 18th I got a message that it shipped and was still on schedule to arrive on the 19th

On the 21st it still was sitting with no updates, so I contacted them to find out.  Was told it was shipped from Shanghai on the 18th  and would take 5-7 business days to get here.  I inquired why the last email I got on the 10th said it was done being built and would take 5-7 days to get here and was still scheduled to arrive on time but now your telling me that the shipping notice I got was from Shanghai and it's going to be another week or so.  I was basically told because of Covid they are behind and I had to wait until the end of the week.

So that Friday I contacted them again.  Still the same thing.  I explained that I understood it was coming from overseas and things might be backed up.  But first, don't they think when they allocate your computer to being built someplace that was shut down (yes, Shanghai was closed when I ordered) that they might give the curtesy of letting the person who ordered know that the shipping dates would be extended or give them the option to cancel.  Got nothing but the run around but was assured it shipped on the 18th and would take 5-7 business days to get to the US and then would be delivered the next day.  So we counted out days and I should of received it no later then yesterday...the 29th

Since then I have received a notification on the 25, 26 and 29 all pushing back delivery date and now we are up to May 9th.

Now for the kicker.  They have my $ tied up, yes pending charge on my card.  No information on when/or if it will actually ship or arrive.  And the option of canceling it is off the table because after it's moved to the "building" stage (which happened in less then 12 hours) you can now longer cancel your order.  You would now have to return it...which includes waiting for it to get to the US.  Then for it to go through the process of being sent back to Shanghai, the 10-15 days to go through customs and then 15-20 days for the credit to be applied.  So yes, at this point your better to just sit back, smile and wait

All of this while I'm trying to work on a computer that's slowly dying, which is why I needed to get a new on to begin with. 

8 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

It affects EVERYthing!!!!  

That's so true Conda and (Shhhhh..  I voted for Mac, too)

So sorry Angie.   That is such bad business, yet you are stuck while your money is held up.   Not good.   So sorry....   

Oh no, such horrible news. Try contacting your credit card company and see if they will cancel payment since in it still pending. And do show that they are, and have been, giving you the runaround. Might also intimate that you would consider a move to a different company if they won't help. A little blackmail, um pressure, never hurts in a situation like this.

34 minutes ago, scrapgarden said:

Oh no, such horrible news. Try contacting your credit card company and see if they will cancel payment since in it still pending. And do show that they are, and have been, giving you the runaround. Might also intimate that you would consider a move to a different company if they won't help. A little blackmail, um pressure, never hurts in a situation like this.

Unfortunately it's on my Dell card...so I don't think that will work.  I've also done alot of shopping online this weekend and no where has what I want/need in stock.  I can get some that's a step down, but not sure if I want to do that (even though it will still be a step up from what I have)

I think at this time (after I have cooled down) I will probably just wait it out.  I do have a laptop if this computer dies that I can start using.  It's just slower, so there might be a few cuss words spoke as I try to design with it ?  

But as Justin told me...you have to be patient.  But I want my new toy!  He just rolls his eyes at me when I say that

3 hours ago, angleigh said:

Unfortunately it's on my Dell card...so I don't think that will work.  I've also done alot of shopping online this weekend and no where has what I want/need in stock.  I can get some that's a step down, but not sure if I want to do that (even though it will still be a step up from what I have)

I think at this time (after I have cooled down) I will probably just wait it out.  I do have a laptop if this computer dies that I can start using.  It's just slower, so there might be a few cuss words spoke as I try to design with it ?  

But as Justin told me...you have to be patient.  But I want my new toy!  He just rolls his eyes at me when I say that

Well...  Patience is one thing but they CHANGED your patience time schedule!    Not fair!   (And, not fair when little boys grow up to be reasonable adults!?)
If they had told you you had to wait two months and you'd agreed, it would be different because you'd expect that timeline so of course you'd be mad now!.