Laptop vs Desktop

So far so good.  I got it Thursday night and got it pretty much set up.  Still working on it since we were at graduation yesterday.  There's a few odd things with the docking station and how they work, but I've never used one before and I'm sure I will get used to it. 

I have both.  A Desktop with 32GB ram and a laptop with 16GB ram.  The desktop cost me a small fortune 5 years ago when I purchased it, and I haven't even turned it on in the last 4 years.  I like the portability of my laptop, and it does the job - although i do miss the speed of the desktop sometimes.  I might have to dust it off and start using it again lol.  I might have to look into a docking station too.

I did get it all set up and I like it.  The docking station took a bit to get used to.  The whole laptop "connecting" to the monitors and such.  I'm used to computer turning on and it's instant.  But when you first start in the morning there's a little lag or "start up" time between the laptop turning on and monitors coming up....and it's very little.  But once I got used to how it all works together it's great and I love it so far.

39 minutes ago, angleigh said:

I did get it all set up and I like it.  The docking station took a bit to get used to.  The whole laptop "connecting" to the monitors and such.  I'm used to computer turning on and it's instant.  But when you first start in the morning there's a little lag or "start up" time between the laptop turning on and monitors coming up....and it's very little.  But once I got used to how it all works together it's great and I love it so far.

That's great, especially after your wait!   I've only ever had a laptop so didn't really the computers turn on instantly - I guess I thought everything had the little "loading" lag all my laptops have.     I'm glad you are all set and liking it.  ?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have my laptop set up correctly and running with no issue....but I did learn 1 big thing, docking stations do not like too many usb's hooked up into it.  Every since I got the laptop and started working with the docking station I've been fighting the issue of start up.  It would take forever for everything to pop up, and the last thing that would come up would be my mouse.  Sometimes it would take almost 5min.  

This week it got really bad and I finally asked my son.  We worked around a bit, he added another connector and things were ok for a little while...but still not seamless.  Finally last night he said "you have to many d**n usb hooked up"   He explained that everytime I started the computer each one has to be "recognized" and with the docking station it's different then when I had them hooked up to the computer.

So yes, my 6 EHD's had to be cut down.  I kept my original 3 hooked up, as I use them all the time.  1 for photography, 1 photography back up, and 1 that works like my C drive it has all important documents and any kits in progress on.  But my other 3 (kit back up, c drive back up and store back up) are now unhooked sitting in a holder on my desk.  When I need to back up to them I will hook them up and do so.  

It's amazing how much easier it all starts up.  And yes, my son asked me why I don't just get 2 larger EHD and use 1 for work and 1 for back up.  This EHD mess is like a monster that just grew over years..lol  As I started doing more I added more.  These are all good size ones most are 3 or 4 TB, so none were cheap.  The idea of just not using them anymore and buy 2 more sounds like a huge waste of $ to me..lol  Plus if 1 goes down I would rather just lose a smaller back up, rather then a back up of everything