Keep it Simple - Scrapping Tips

This weekend is all about keeping layouts simple and helping you get caught up.  We'll be sharing some scrapping tips from the team, but we really want to know YOUR scrapping tips too! Do you organize organize your kits and photos a certain way to make your scrapping easier? Maybe you have a folder with "most used" items or simply use templates and certain fonts. Do you find that joining challenges keeps you scrapping? While most of us aren't caught up in our scrapping, I'm sure we all have ideas on ways we can get a little bit closer. Post your scrapping tips here!

• Thanks 1

Having my photos and digital scrapbook kits organized so I can find what I’m looking for is the most important thing for me when it comes to speedy scrapping.There isn’t any one “right” way to organize your files. Choose one that works for you and complements the way you work. 

Since I do Project Life (and I am a few years behind) I put my photos into folders by weeks. That way, it is easy for me to find all the photos from the week I'm working on.

I sort my supplies by both collections and by individual elements like flowers, ribbons, buttons, etc. It takes more time and hard drive space, but it really works for me. When I find something that works really well with my page, I can always open the folder with the whole kit. 

• Thanks 1

I do have photos organized my month and year. I just keep my kits/collections together by store/designer.  I also have a small folder of what I call favorites like a pack of stitches, a doily, a basic white paper etc. I use a search function if I am looking for a themed kit and also look at the windows preview. I always unzip my kits and rename the kit preview "folder" so it shows up as a picture. I know this only works with windows on a pc. My other tip is to use a template. That's faster for me since the layout design is already there though I am a relatively slow scrapper.

Thanks for starting this April. Looking forward to the tips others share.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, April Showers said:

Having my photos and digital scrapbook kits organized so I can find what I’m looking for is the most important thing for me when it comes to speedy scrapping.There isn’t any one “right” way to organize your files. Choose one that works for you and complements the way you work. 

Since I do Project Life (and I am a few years behind) I put my photos into folders by weeks. That way, it is easy for me to find all the photos from the week I'm working on.

I sort my supplies by both collections and by individual elements like flowers, ribbons, buttons, etc. It takes more time and hard drive space, but it really works for me. When I find something that works really well with my page, I can always open the folder with the whole kit. 

We organize in a surprisingly similar way, April! The only difference is that I sort my images by month and then have sub-folders there for events or holidays where I took a large number of photos. I also double sort my kits - by collection and by element. I have special sorts for paper style, too: by color, by pattern (gingham, plaid, stripes, damask, flowers etc.). Thank goodness for memory space.

• Like 1

SCRAPPING TIP: If I am scrapping a section for a larger album or focusing entirely on a small album, I select one to three primary kits, depending on their size and how many pages I anticipate building. When mixing and matching them, I am careful to make sure that they coordinate well in terms of style and color. This sets "limits" for me, and yet offers a large selection. I find the repetition of patterns and colors makes the section more cohesive, but with limited combining there is enough variety to let the creative juices flow.

For example, many of you have recently seen the St. Augustine pages from my Old Vacations project. That section ended up being 32 pages, and I used three kits almost exclusively: Kimeric Kreations The Beach Value Pack, Sekada Designs Sea Voices, and Susie Roberts Hazy Summer.

• Like 1

Great tips already, thank you and it's interesting to see everyone's methods.
I keep my collections together since I'm mostly a one-collection scrapper, adding any few pieces I might need.  
I always loved SG products because all items were tagged; not always so now but I make sure when I rarely buy untagged items I tag them myself.  I've even started tagging collections as to "Purple", "Beach", "Travel" etc because Mac's "Finder" lets me find what I need fairly easily.
I also started a document long ago with all my purchases, 6 on a page.  I put the order number, date, name of product and a small photo.  I used to print the pages and put them in a binder.  It was so nice to be able to browse through it, but it got to be too many pages and too heavy and unwieldy.   So, now I just keep the documents and look through them on my laptop.
Photo organization is a problem as I used to upload each and every photo I took to my "Photos" app and that took up too much space.  So, for now I only upload what I am scrapping and then trash since it's on my phone, EHD or camera SD card.   I did however find a solution to large amounts of photos for an event.  When I visited my sister, I uploaded all the photos for that trip to Shutterfly.  This way I can go there and look at "Judi's Dec 2021" and view all the photos together, then go to where they are stored and download what I need.   And, they are there if I want to make something on the site!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MariJ said:

When I visited my sister, I uploaded all the photos for that trip to Shutterfly.  This way I can go there and look at "Judi's Dec 2021" and view all the photos together, then go to where they are stored and download what I need.   And, they are there if I want to make something on the site!

I have been contemplating Amazon Prime Photo storage for backup. Has anyone used that? Had a good/bad experience with it?

25 minutes ago, Celestine said:

I have been contemplating Amazon Prime Photo storage for backup. Has anyone used that? Had a good/bad experience with it?

That's a good question, I'll be watching here.  My sister has Prime which I use on family sharing, I think I could use it too.
My real photo backups are on flash drives but I haven't updated them.   It would be so easy to use Apple Cloud but even for .99 a month I refuse to give them more money!

SCRAPPING TIP: Sometimes, I turn my own layouts into a "template." I keep a folder of personal layouts that I especially liked, that perhaps took considerable effort to build, and that would adapt nicely to just plugging in other photos, papers and embellishments. Just copy and re-create!

Recently, I used a layout I originally created for the Creative Team for a Blue Heart Scraps value pack called Build A Friend:
Snow Happy

large.1802536439_SnowHappy.jpg.9a351edc7c2f42f0a2d9cda78100ff1b.jpg

And turned it into an Easter layout for a challenge:
Easter J&M
large.1046800227_EasterJM.jpg.e745f2c320b23771f97b6704a33dbba5.jpg

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Celestine said:

SCRAPPING TIP: Sometimes, I turn my own layouts into a "template." I keep a folder of personal layouts that I especially liked, that perhaps took considerable effort to build, and that would adapt nicely to just plugging in other photos, papers and embellishments. Just copy and re-create!

This is a great tip!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this ?

SCRAPPING TIP: When I like a cluster that I have made, I save in 3600 px as premade cluster, so I safe time. I use as well premade clusters or borders, when I'm a real hurry.

All the years that I've had PSE, I've always used the organizer. I have everything sorted into eg. Fauna and Flora, Arrows and Banners, Papers etc. I also do a metadata search if I need to find something. I LOVE my organizer.

My photos I have in folders; Meyers, Loubsers and Sivis. I have one for nature, friends, events etc. I find I can find things pretty easily. 

SCRAPPING TIP: A favorite technique for a speedy Clean & Simple layout is to let the text do the talking. Plan for your title, word art or journaling to literally be a design element on a layout, so there is less need for embellishment or emphasis from other elements.

Here are a few examples:
Palm Tree

large.1487200606_PalmTree.jpg.cc75aa4c534af9e9e7b0a768451fa837.jpg

Bears Fan
large.199107626_BearsFan.jpg.d56bccaf8174b07d4a13cf3727f389d9.jpg

Glass Exhibit
large.830048683_GlassExhibit.jpg.19b8cd71e19311497fbee9c0be2cb684.jpg

For organizing, I'm a die-hard Picasa user. It's unfortunate that it's not a supported platform anymore, but it hasn't had any problems! Knock on Wood! I'd be lost without it. 

With it, there is no need to sort beyond my basic filing system. I just organize the collections in a giant folder, sorted by designer initials. Then I do have christmas collections sorted out. Then I have folders for Layout temps, Embellishment temps, fonts, papers temps, Styles and actions, brushes (These are sub-sorted). It works for my brain. For photos, from my big camera, I sort by month and year.  If I'm searching for a specific, say an embellishment, I just type it in the search using quotation marks. If I'm looking for something from a specific designer, I just put in the three name initials. It's pretty efficient.  From my phone, anything I want to scrap goes into a photo folder with sub folders by person or topic.  

58 minutes ago, Belle said:

All the years that I've had PSE, I've always used the organizer. I have everything sorted into eg. Fauna and Flora, Arrows and Banners, Papers etc. I also do a metadata search if I need to find something. I LOVE my organizer.

My photos I have in folders; Meyers, Loubsers and Sivis. I have one for nature, friends, events etc. I find I can find things pretty easily. 

I've never used the organizer, but it sounds like it could be helpful.    And you are great at finding different things for your layouts!!

@mimes1 Your tips are great and I never thought to pre-make clusters, that surely would save time.  Then again, I'm normally a last-minute person, I guess I don't think to plan ahead!  ?

21 minutes ago, MariJ said:

@mimes1 Your tips are great and I never thought to pre-make clusters, that surely would save time.  Then again, I'm normally a last-minute person, I guess I don't think to plan ahead!  ?

Last minute scrapping is sometimes the best way to scrap because the layouts don't get stuck in "over-thunk" mode!  There are lots of pre-made clusters in the store too.

Scrapping Tip:

Back in the day we'd make our own shadows for each and every item. Each shadow would take a couple extra clicks to create!  Now there are multiple pre-made shadow styles available which expedite the shadow making process by 1000%

A few of my favorites:

Syndees shadows are used in 100% of my layouts. And they are customizeable. 

SNU_SSStyles_ShadowMe6301_MKTG600.jpg

Sometimes I need a higher, softer shadow:

SNU_SSTools_Styles_BttflyShadows6301_MKTG600.jpg

For making things look either engraved or embossed, this set is so easy. Usually I find myself using this on text or titlework:

BMU_SSStyles_Emboss-Engrave_MKTG_600.jpg

And for smaller projects, smaller shadows:

EBA_SSTools_Styles_ATCShadows12601_MKTG_600.jpg

1 hour ago, mimes1 said:

Last minute scrapping is sometimes the best way to scrap because the layouts don't get stuck in "over-thunk" mode!  There are lots of pre-made clusters in the store too.

Actually, that is so very true and I am the QUEEN of over-thunk!  In scrapping and actually in life, now I think of it.   :hit-head-with-hammer:

I use Picassa to organise my supplies. Everything is added automatically as I file them into my scrapbook resources folder. Once in ther I can search for a complete collection or for example, all the white flowers I own or all the red paper. I would not be able to scrap if I didn't have Picassa to help me - I have sooo many supplies!

6 hours ago, Celestine said:

I use Amazon photo as one of my backups. (I am a little anal with backups, I have a local backup and 2 cloud backups, Amazon and Backblaze). Amazon has been easy, I don’t use the app on my laptop but will upload pics and sort to albums. I do have the app on my phone and it will backup automatically too - I do and then will try to remember to go remove photos I’m not keeping long term (doubles, out of focus, screenshots for remembering something etc )

2 minutes ago, wvufan04 said:

I use Amazon photo as one of my backups. (I am a little anal with backups, I have a local backup and 2 cloud backups, Amazon and Backblaze). Amazon has been easy, I don’t use the app on my laptop but will upload pics and sort to albums. I do have the app on my phone and it will backup automatically too - I do and then will try to remember to go remove photos I’m not keeping long term (doubles, out of focus, screenshots for remembering something etc )

That's great information, thank you!

23 minutes ago, wvufan04 said:

Good to know!

SCRAPPING TIP:

Keyboard commands have become a second nature way to save time on making layouts.  It's kind of like typing or playing piano where you hit the keystrokes without even looking!

Using PS, some of my favorites that I use all the time are:

"X" - when I'm working on a layer mask and need to switch quickly between black and white, this saves me a ton of time.

"ALT-Hover_Click"  - This is the most fantastic keyboard command that I use everyday. In the layers palette, when you want to clip one layer to the layer below it, hold the ALT key, then hover the mouse directly over the line between the two layers. You'll see a little box with a downpointing arrow. When you see that, click. The two layers clip together!

"ALT-Shift-Backspace" - This command will change the color of your item to the foreground color. 

"[" and "]" - these two will make my brush bigger or smaller. 

What are your favorite key commands that save you time in your scrapping workflow?

I work in PSE on a Mac and well....... I have to go with "Command-Z" as my all-time favorite keyboard short cut!  And I admit that when I make a life mistake my brain often says "Command Z" before it registers it won't work!
I like "Command J" for a new layer, "Command + or-" to enlarge or make smaller..  
"Command 0" (zero) to make full sized.

Many more, can't remember.   Your list is great Amy @mimes1 and I didn't know most of them!

2 minutes ago, MariJ said:

I work in PSE on a Mac and well....... I have to go with "Command-Z" as my all-time favorite keyboard short cut!  And I admit that when I make a life mistake my brain often says "Command Z" before it registers it won't work!
I like "Command J" for a new layer, "Command + or-" to enlarge or make smaller..  

Many more, can't remember.   Your list is great Amy @mimes1 and I didn't know most of them!

I didn't know Command + or -.  Does that make the view larger or smaller or is it a way to resize an object? I know you're working a mac, but I'm sure there's an equivelent PS command. 

5 hours ago, mimes1 said:

SCRAPPING TIP:

Another speedy tip for scrapping is to use pre-made clusters for your layout. A few photos, a nice background paper and a gorgeous cluster can complete a layout in no time. 

April wrote this tutorial,  Using Clusters to Create Quick Layouts, on just this very topic!

I love using clusters!!  

1 hour ago, MariJ said:

Command + Z is a definite go to!   

Command + J to copy to new layer

Command + T for transform controls

Scrapping Tip:

I rename my photos by date using the same format: date + a description.  Example 20220501_Charlotte_horse_1.  Then I sort them in the photo folder by year and month.  If there are several photos of the same event, there is a number at the end. The rename feature on my Mac makes this super simple! I have a 2022 Photos folder, in it is a folder for each month.  I find I can usually remember a month/year to find photos.  OR, if I'm needing a horse photo, I can search that way.  I find it helps me see and search for photos easily.  This is also how I name my layouts.  I use the picture date + theme of the layout.  Example 20220501_Bo_Sandbox.  I have a layout folder and a folder for each year inside.  All layouts are then saved in this folder by year/date. 

Did this confuse EVERYONE?

I also do use this naming conventions for all my documents, but that's not scrapping related!

2 hours ago, englishrose said:

I use Picassa to organise my supplies. Everything is added automatically as I file them into my scrapbook resources folder. Once in ther I can search for a complete collection or for example, all the white flowers I own or all the red paper. I would not be able to scrap if I didn't have Picassa to help me - I have sooo many supplies!

I loved Picasa, it sadly does not work with a Mac...