Sealing the ink from your printer?

For those of you who like to print out your SG goodies on paper from your inkjet printer, to use on other art projects; how do you keep the ink from running when you apply adhesive?

I've used fixative and other aerosol spray acrylic sealers - but HATE the fumes and how harmful not working in a ventilated area is (that is a problem for me).

I found a matte pump type spray (Mod Podge brand) that is an option - but still doesn't thoroughly prevent the ink from running ...

I've also used Tim Holtz Distress Micro Glaze, but that comes in a small jar and can be pricey.

This isn't really going to answer your question, but to be honest, when I print something and I don't want the ink to run, I bring it to Staples so they can use the laser jet printer.  Otherwise I get too frustrated when the ink runs!  ?   Hopefully, someone else will have a real solution or help.  ?

Adding to this, I just had another thought.  I'm not sure what type of project you are doing, but I've had success using rubber cement which doesn't make the ink run.   That might not work for your projects if you're wanting to use it on top of the page.   Glue stick work well also for projects I've done as does double-stick tape, which I've amazingly found in the Dollar Store.  I've used these glues when needing to glue my printed pages to cardstock.  

Carla @CRS was on our Hybrid Creative Team so she might have some better ideas.    Maybe you could tell us the type of project you are doing?     

just general mixed media & art journaling. I live in a very rural area & the nearest Staples is 20 miles away ... plus I don't drive anymore. I'd have to be a real "planner ahead" type of person - usually for spur of the moment projects!

I looked on YouTube & saw lots of demonstrations using matte gel (so very similar to glue) on a gelli plate. I don't have the space for all those supplies (in addition to my collection)

6 hours ago, Amy D said:

just general mixed media & art journaling. I live in a very rural area & the nearest Staples is 20 miles away ... plus I don't drive anymore. I'd have to be a real "planner ahead" type of person - usually for spur of the moment projects!

I looked on YouTube & saw lots of demonstrations using matte gel (so very similar to glue) on a gelli plate. I don't have the space for all those supplies (in addition to my collection)

Space IS a really huge issue for craft supplies, I'd give up other things in their place!  ?  Hmmmmm...  I thought Staples wouldn't be a help, but gave it a try and I'm with you - I'm spur of the moment.  But, luckily a Staples is 5 min away for me.  

I think you said you've used a Modge Podge spray so I assume you've used the spreadable one or watered down Elmer's type glue?   Although I'd suspect that probably runs, too.    Still thinking but this is a hard one!

I used a spray adhesive, but it does stink and I use it outside. I'd make sure the print is completely dry, maybe wait a day or so, before trying to apply a medium over it. But that doesn't always work. Hopefully someone can chime in with a solution for you!

• Like 1

This is an economical option if you put together several things you want printed onto 8.5x11 pages (300 to 400 dpi).  Let's say you can fill 10 pages with images.

1. Convert them into a 10 page PDF.  Do not allow for any JPG compression that would degrade the quality of the images!
  2. Submit your PDF to the Staples online printing site for color laser printing.
  3. Select the ship to your home address option.

I think 10 pages can be sent by lettermail so the shipping cost could be minimal.  Please check the site's shipping rates for standard size paper documents.  The cost of laser prints on 8.5x11 paper is a fraction of the cost of ink jet, so even with shipping costs, you may save money.

☺️Aww... thanks MariJ!  It was your inspired idea to get color laser printing!

BTW Amy, there is free shipping from Staples with purchases over $35 Cdn here in Canada, so likely something similar in Tennessee.  $35 Cdn buys me 70 printed pages!  And the money you save on sealer, ink, and ink jet paper for 70 pages, covers your Staples bill with extra money to spare!

With 70 pages to fill, not only would I be printing beautiful papers and embellishments, I'd be printing photo enlargements, photos with masking and blending, birthday cards, etc.  You could have so much fun putting together an 'all-you-can-print' buffet!

Note: There are file size limits, so I would submit ten 7-page PDFs instead of one 70-page PDF (which would probably crash the computer anyways).

• Like 1

Thanks Linda! Very useful - do you know if their standard color copies are laser or inkjet? I checked em out yesterday & got a coupon in my email today!

On 8/22/2022 at 11:38 PM, lindarobin said:

Convert them into a 10 page PDF.  Do not allow for any JPG compression that would degrade the quality of the images!

This is so interesting to me, Linda.  I'm currently working on some photo candy wrappers, so quality is not super-important as the images are quite tiny.   I normally save a JPG page of 17 wrappers on the page and then put that onto a Word document because it seemed to print better size-wise and gave the Staples printer no trouble, like the JPGS sometimes did.   I'm using the standard color copier and printing from a flash drive on my own.

So am I understanding correctly that it's better to save the page as a PDF for better photo quality, is that what you meant?   Sometimes I'll print cards on my own at Staples so it would be good to know the best way to do it.

I normally don't have them do it behind the counter because in my Staples and all the NJ ones I've used they charge you more and it wasn't a little!    The first time it was an extra $5.  I haven't done it in a while, though but I'll find out tomorrow!

1 minute ago, lindarobin said:

As far as I know, it's laser printing, meaning no wet inks.  The color comes from toner powder that is melted onto paper (super high heat rollers) to create permanent water-proof images.

I knew behind-the-counter printing by the Staples employee is laser, wasn't sure of the do-it-yourself one.   Thanks for the explanation, that is very cool and makes total sense because those copies are always so good and don't bleed.

@Amy D  I'm curious as to how you found a coupon?   That's great!

7 minutes ago, MariJ said:

... onto a Word document because it seemed to print better size-wise ...

I normally don't have them do it behind the counter because in my Staples and all the NJ ones I've used they charge you more ...

Yes, there is an extra charge for "full service", so definitely use the "self-serve" printer whenever possible.

PDF or JPG - both produce high quality prints whenever the images are high quality.  (Important to check the save settings to ensure you are choosing "best quality".)  The reason PDF (or Word doc) is preferable is because you have 100% control over the print size.  If your PDF is 8.5x11 and you print it on 8.5x11 paper, you get exactly what you designed.  A 4"x6" image in the PDF will print 4"x6".  Just make sure you select 100% scale.

A single JPG file, on the other hand, is simply printed as "best fit" on a single sheet of paper.  Their "best fit" may include too wide white margins which is tantamount to shrinking your image.

@MariJ IDK how I got the coupon - just looked around the site and started to make an order for some copies (to see pricing). Didn't check out bc shipping was 5$ - that's probably why I got the coupon!

2 hours ago, Amy D said:

@MariJ IDK how I got the coupon - just looked around the site and started to make an order for some copies (to see pricing). Didn't check out bc shipping was 5$ - that's probably why I got the coupon!

Ok, I'll have to look around Staples and try that, but I'll be doing mine in person, thanks!  ?

7 hours ago, lindarobin said:

Yes, there is an extra charge for "full service", so definitely use the "self-serve" printer whenever possible.

PDF or JPG - both produce high quality prints whenever the images are high quality.  (Important to check the save settings to ensure you are choosing "best quality".)  The reason PDF (or Word doc) is preferable is because you have 100% control over the print size.  If your PDF is 8.5x11 and you print it on 8.5x11 paper, you get exactly what you designed.  A 4"x6" image in the PDF will print 4"x6".  Just make sure you select 100% scale.

A single JPG file, on the other hand, is simply printed as "best fit" on a single sheet of paper.  Their "best fit" may include too wide white margins which is tantamount to shrinking your image.

Ahhhh...  Ok, that makes sense and explains why I did have sizing with JPG pages and exact sized prints.    What I end up doing through uniformed trial and error is to take a Word document and make all of the margins "0" and then copy the JPG to it and the size prints perfectly.   But, your way is much easier and eliminates a few steps and copies.   

Thank you Linda, I've now learned something new and I like understanding the explanations and "why's" of things which you always so graciously provide.  ?

• 6 months later...
On 3/9/2023 at 9:45 AM, mywisecrafts said:

Have you tried using a clear gesso?  I finish my mixed media hybrid and non hybrid layouts with ligquitex acrylic matte gel

Yes - but I'm not fest enough I when I brush it on, the ink runs (as I'm brushing). Ultra Mod Podge is a spray that works great -but it's prone to clogging :( 

• 1 month later...

Other than gel medium inket prints will run depending on what you use. Gel medium it's just a bottom I would buy a more consist one not the bottle ones but the one from a containers where they are more solid  buy matte also they are not expensive doesn't need space and works

7 hours ago, Amy D said:

I caved and bought laser prints from Staples - will post a hybrid project from the prints later this week ... I got Sublime & Yesterday's Child printed on regular copy paper.

I can't wait to see what you create!    I don't like the expense, but I have to admit that when I do print laser from Staples, the results are so much nicer.   I just made tons of photo candy wrappers and shower table place cards and things for both a baby and a bridal shower - and the copies were really good.   It's a toss-up decision sometimes, but often it's needed if you want really good results or need them for other issues.   Good luck, Amy!

• Like 1