Jumpstart January 2023

April Showers

3 hours ago, Jane in N.Z said:

I might have to sit this month out. Family have gone to finish their holiday up north today and we have friends staying for a few days from tomorrow so I don't think I can catch up this month especially if the sun keeps shining as we have had 2 weeks of storms so far and I hate being couped up inside in the summer so will have to make the most of the fine weather outside :) 

We'll miss you here, Jane but I sure understand about being cooped up inside in summer.   You have to grab the sunshine while you can.  

January 13

I back up to an EHD.   I used to have two and alternate each week backing up to one, then the other.   I bought a new EHD when I got this laptop, but my intention was to erase one from my old laptop and use that as a second.   Maybe I should work on that today?

I have so many photos on my phone that on Christmas Day it locked me out and I couldn't use the phone. 😱  Good thing there was a 20 year old there who quickly got me back and running.   I've bought a backup flash drive for the phone, but before that I'm trying to delete unnecessary photos so I'm not taking up space saving them.  Once I do that, I'll backup to the drive, that might be another job for today.  

23 minutes ago, MariJ said:

We'll miss you here, Jane but I sure understand about being cooped up inside in summer.   You have to grab the sunshine while you can.  

19 minutes ago, MariJ said:

January 13

I back up to an EHD.   I used to have two and alternate each week backing up to one, then the other.   I bought a new EHD when I got this laptop, but my intention was to erase one from my old laptop and use that as a second.   Maybe I should work on that today?

I have so many photos on my phone that on Christmas Day it locked me out and I couldn't use the phone. 😱  Good thing there was a 20 year old there who quickly got me back and running.   I've bought a backup flash drive for the phone, but before that I'm trying to delete unnecessary photos so I'm not taking up space saving them.  Once I do that, I'll backup to the drive, that might be another job for today.  

Kids...they are such naturals. I miss having my oldest grandson nearby to help me. Lucky you have help.

20 minutes ago, Boatlady said:

Kids...they are such naturals. I miss having my oldest grandson nearby to help me. Lucky you have help.

It was only because it was Christmas Day that she was there, that was pure luck or I would have been on my own!  
They really are such naturals, she took the phone, click, click, click - showed me a few things and we deleted a bunch.   I might have been able to figure it out but it would have taken forever and I wouldn't have known how to unlock it right away like she did.    

Speedbump: Jan 13

I just backed up all my photos and supplies on Sunday. I back everything up to another EHD, and keep photos on 2 EHD's, a memory card or on my phone. Supplies are on 2 EHD's. Layouts are also backed up on the cloud. I've tried services in the past and when I need the stuff recovered, things were missing or in weird spots, so I gave that up.

Jan 13 Speedbump complete:  I have two 2TB EHD's and I back up monthly to both of them, figuring if one fails I still have the other. I just got iCloud for Windows on my computer, too, so I can upload my phone photos to iCloud then download the ones I want onto the computer for eventual backing up to the EHDs. I wish there was an easier way to get iPhone photos onto my Windows computer, but this seems to work.

13 January Speedbump done.

I backup to 2 EHD's. I also put everything into my organiser. I then put it into categories. Alpha, Bows, arrows. paper, fauna and flora and lots more. I cannot go searching in files. I go to e.g., papers, then all my papers are open, and I scroll down. 

14 January. Title added.

January 15
Task #13

Journaling and date added and layout is posted.
Whew I finished this one!  😊

TBZ Lights

As an addition to January 13 Speedbump --- I decided to stop talking about it and find my older EHD and use it for a second backup.  First off it had the new connection for my new laptop and when I plugged it in it had two backups from 2021 already on it!  🤔.  I'd actually been smarter than I realized when I got this laptop and HAD started with two backups - a different one each week.   But, when I went to my sister's last year I only brought one and promptly forgot I had it!  :hit-head-with-hammer: 
So I figured out how to erase this one, backed up from yesterday and now have two backups and a new schedule again, whew!  😊

Now to work on my phone, but I've been working hard at deleting photos I don't want to save.

• Like 1

January 16th  
SPEEDBUMP How do you share your layouts? Do you print them? If so, share what kind of printer you have, what papers do you use, how often you print? If you use a printing service, let us know which one you like best. Do you share your layouts digitally? If so, what method do you use? If you choose not to share your layouts, tell us why. 
REQUIREMENT: Post your answers in this thread. 

SPEEDBUMP
January 16

I normally share my layouts via email or text, either a SG link or the actual layout itself from my computer.   As Laraine mentioned, it's normally because the people are featured in the page or a part of the story.  
I don't often print because I find in this digital age people don't really want printed copies around.  When I do print, I used Costco but they have switched over to Shutterfly.   I like being able to pick up my prints and not pay shipping so most recently I have used Walmart and have been satisfied enough with the product.   And if I've made something for my sister I can upload to her Walmart half-way across the county and she can pick up there!

January 16th Speedbump

It depends on the project I'm working on how I share them. If they are for a trip or event, then I usually print a book using Shutterfly. If it's just layouts from throughout the year, I print them 8x8 inch size on letter sized paper, then trim them to fit in 8x8 inch albums. I have an old HP printer that keeps on working well.

• Like 1

Jan 16 Speedbump: I make photo books for our travels and visits with and from our family; otherwise, I don't get layouts printed.  Sometimes when Shutterfly has a free book offer, I'll make a simple book of my favorite layouts from the previous year (usually layouts I did for challenges). Otherwise, my layouts just stay on the computer or external hard drive. 

For special books I use Printique. They offer a choice of papers (e.g., Luster, Deep Matte, Linen) and will send a free book of paper samples. Their colors are true to what I send them and the pages lay flat. They are more expensive than Shutterfly so I'll use Shutterfly for other books. The trick with Shutterfly, I've learned, is to click on each page and take off their editing. Otherwise the colors look too saturated (in my opinion) and the photos a little too sharp.

Week 3

Jan 16- speedbump.

I save my pages to folders. Depending on what it is depends if it goes in one or more folders. I do not print many books. I just made a book for our best friends 65th anniversary at Shutterfly it was great and they loved it.

January 16 - Speedbump: I don't print pages usually and I really should. My cousin is a pro photographer and he says that the worlds most photographed generation will have no photos to show for it.  Since Costco just transferred everything to Shutterfly I'll give them a try and make a book or two. @Florida granny Diane, Thanks for the tip on the saturation - I'll look for that.

My pages are saved in folders by first by month and year that it's made and then topic. But Picassa helps me find a certain layout quickly.  Currently though I upload layouts to my daughters and siblings AURA frames - digital frames that allowed people can upload to. No memory stick required, it's all done with wifi. It's pretty cool actually. Sometimes I'll text or email them as well. Only the most special ones get printed. For Christmas I ordered a couple metal prints at Costco. They looked really spectacular. 

January 17th  
TASK 14 - Did you do some extra shopping with the last big sale? Are your scrapbooking products all unzipped and organized? Spend some time organizing your digital scrapbooking supplies. If you’re way behind, you don’t need to get all the way caught up. Just make some progress. 
REQUIREMENT: Post to this thread sharing your basic organizational method with us.