Jumpstart January 2023

April Showers

HERE is my unused product layout

Jan 21 - two papers added ✔️

Jan 22 - Journal, title added ✔️

@MariJ I hope I did your favorite collection justice! Most of the embs and the matt papers are from Homebody. I love that you did so much with it during covid and that it brought you comfort doing so.  It would be awesome to have all of your Homebody layouts in a printed book!

I have linked all the tasks in the opening post so that when you click on them, it should take you to the posted task. I've put the "required" tasks that are eligible for the drawing in bold, so if you need to catch up, you're only required to post about the ones that are bolded. 

And, I'm happy to see that everyone who has done more than one or two tasks has completed three of the layout tasks, so they'll be included in the prize drawings. And if you're one of those who only has one or two, use those tips I just gave for how to catch up. image.gif

5 hours ago, April Showers said:

I have linked all the tasks in the opening post so that when you click on them, it should take you to the posted task. I've put the "required" tasks that are eligible for the drawing in bold, so if you need to catch up, you're only required to post about the ones that are bolded. 

And, I'm happy to see that everyone who has done more than one or two tasks has completed three of the layout tasks, so they'll be included in the prize drawings. And if you're one of those who only has one or two, use those tips I just gave for how to catch up. image.gif

Thanks for the tips, April!   I'm going to check this out and see if I can catch up!  :shappy_idea_100-100:

@April Showers I looked through the bold required tasks and it looks like I'm only missing - the first layout/Task 7.

January 8th  
LAYOUT TASK 7 Add some journaling, a date, and any finishing touches to your layout.  
REQUIREMENTWhen you are finished, upload your “Recent Photos” layout to the 
Jumpstart January Gallery. 

Could you please confirm this is correct?
I'm going to try and finish that first page with tasks 4, 5 and 6 if I can and then I think I should be all good for the month?  😊

5 hours ago, MariJ said:

@April Showers I looked through the bold required tasks and it looks like I'm only missing - the first layout/Task 7.

January 8th  
LAYOUT TASK 7 Add some journaling, a date, and any finishing touches to your layout.  
REQUIREMENTWhen you are finished, upload your “Recent Photos” layout to the 
Jumpstart January Gallery. 

Could you please confirm this is correct?
I'm going to try and finish that first page with tasks 4, 5 and 6 if I can and then I think I should be all good for the month?  😊

Yes, you are only missing Task 7 in my chart.

Speedbump Done that was easy. I make comments allot so that was easy peasy for me. I wish all the SG who post knew they could all post nice comments.

January 24th  
TASK 20 - Choose a tutorial from the Scrap Girls Blog with new technique you would like to try.  
To find the tutorials on the blog use the following steps: 
1. Click "Blog" on the blue-green bar at the top of any forum page. This will take you directly to the Scrap Girls Blog. Some of you may have to click "More" then click on "Blog". 
2. On the Right Panel a little way down (you may have to scroll down a little) is a small box that says "Categories" with a drop-down menu. 
3. From the drop-down menu choose one of the tutorial subcategories. This will then bring up all the tutorials, just click "Older Post" at the bottom of the page to see more. 
4. If you want to find something specific you can use the search box (a few boxes above the Categories box). 

1 hour ago, Florida granny said:

Task 20 complete.  I'm going to use this tutorial on styles. I've used styles before, of course, but the tutorial talks about different and creative ways to use them, so I'd like to give one or two of the suggestions a try.

That is a smart one.

Though I really tried to make the tasks for this layout work for everyone and not constrain your creativity. 

January 24th  
TASK 20

One Click Selections with PSE 2020

I'm going to try this one, actually I just did!   I never knew I could select a subject like that, very cool and easy.  You have to have a photo that works, but mine did.
I have PSE 2020 and apparently it was new in that version.  Who knew?   I'm glad to have learned this now, even though it seems so simple I should have known!
Now I do!  🤣

I'm working now on learning how to add or subtract from the selection, I didn't know that was even possible!  :hit-head-with-hammer:  Having a little trouble but going to keep trying....  

For now I'm leaving Week 1 layout/recent photos not finished.   When I went back to look yesterday since my photos were already downloaded I mis-read (my bad!) and used an older photo, not a new one.  I did a lot of work editing it and I'm glad, but I'd have to start all over again with recent pics.
I'll see how the week and month goes, who knows, I still might have time?

57 minutes ago, MariJ said:

January 24th  
TASK 20

One Click Selections with PSE 2020

I'm going to try this one, actually I just did!   I never knew I could select a subject like that, very cool and easy.  You have to have a photo that works, but mine did.
I have PSE 2020 and apparently it was new in that version.  Who knew?   I'm glad to have learned this now, even though it seems so simple I should have known!
Now I do!  🤣

I'm working now on learning how to add or subtract from the selection, I didn't know that was even possible!  :hit-head-with-hammer:  Having a little trouble but going to keep trying....  

That's one I should try, too, since I have PSE20. I always admire how well everyone does their selections and I never think mine look "selected" very well at all. I look forward to seeing your layout...  and maybe you'll inspire me to try following those directions, too.

6 minutes ago, Florida granny said:

That's one I should try, too, since I have PSE20. I always admire how well everyone does their selections and I never think mine look "selected" very well at all. I look forward to seeing your layout...  and maybe you'll inspire me to try following those directions, too.

I have an inexpensive iPhone SE 2020, but in the latest very recent update, in Photos you can extract your subject.    It doesn't work on every photo but when I'm holding/pressing on one to save it will often extract it and very well.   It gives you the choice to save or share I think.   I shared to my computer and it is an excellent extraction.   But, I'm still following the tutorial for this challenge since you can do so much more and I want to learn.

I'm heading to California bright and early tomorrow, so I'm giving you the next task early so I don't forget to post it. 

January 25th 
TASK 21 - Go through the tutorial you chose and spend some time experimenting with and applying the things you learned. 
REQUIREMENT: Share a link to the tutorial you chose and give a brief description of the technique you tried. 

Task 20 I am going to use Blend Photo into background by Jody West (she was so helpful with her creative methods)

Jan. 25 task 21-

Blending photos into background by Jody West

It uses the gradient tool which I am not very handy with so I am learning allot by playing around. Thank you for this challenge April.

Jan 25 Task 21:  I'm using  the creative ways to use styles tutorial by Melanie Cockshott. So far I've applied a style to my main photo, using AFT's Budding Gradients but I want to try adding a style to brushwork, if that works with my page. Otherwise, I'll try adding a style to the background paper. So far I'm having a lot of fun trying out the different styles and effects!