Advice please

I have taken a screenshot of my start for wedding album.....as you can see I tried adding the embossed white papers....looks off! I actually like it as is....do you think I just need to add the text and it will come together????? Maybe some brush strokes with text????  I was going to journal in the empty box below.

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 2.18.48 PM.png

@terriscrapper Hi Terri. The off white looks very nice with the white. I don't see texture on the white side?  I think a subtle texture on the white would like nice with the texture on the off white side. Brush strokes beneath the text would be nice. Playing with the blending modes on the brush strokes might help emphasize the text. Hope that makes sense. 

14 hours ago, mimes1 said:

@terriscrapper Hi Terri. The off white looks very nice with the white. I don't see texture on the white side?  I think a subtle texture on the white would like nice with the texture on the off white side. Brush strokes beneath the text would be nice. Playing with the blending modes on the brush strokes might help emphasize the text. Hope that makes sense. 

I did not add texture paper on the left....Just wanted to see how it looked. I personally think it looks off.....too gray and the texture showing in-between open spaces looks off. I wanted to add something but this just looks off to me...I will try that with the text!

Terri, Can you switch the two smaller photos and see how it looks? I'm bothered by the fact that the middle book crease goes right through the little girl's face. I know you are planning lay flat pages, but still... 
If the embossed paper looks too gray, you can choose a pale beige/cream and colorize the paper, using a Hue Saturation Adjustment Layer. Then move the sliders to adjust the saturation.

• Like 1

Good catch Diane -  @terriscrapper Terri, I agree with Dianes thought on the picture on the seam of the book. 

Is it the lack of texture on the white that's bothering you or the color?  In addition to Diane's suggestion about color adjustment, you could make it a texture paper also, complementary to the right side. There are lots of embossed paper packs in the store.  Here are a few suggestions:

Embossed - White Papers

Embossed Paper Biggie

Value Pack: Embossed

Also, if you don't like the texture between the photos you could draw a box around the all of them with the marquee tool, then make a new layer below all your photo squares but above the paper layers, then use the paint bucket tool to fill it with any color you like. Then you could clip a paper that you like with no texture on it. Maybe contrasting. That would eliminate the texture you don't like between the photos and it would also serve as a matte/frame. 

Switch the photo so it isn't cut in half like Diane said. Maybe put the small photo under the other small one. I'd use the color picker and pick the blue of the other dressed to fill the grey box. I like the embossed paper.

Oh, yes, Terri, one more thing:  Be sure none of your photos or journaling go to within 1/2 inch of the page edges, otherwise they might be cut off during printing. (I'm pretty sure the printers will warn you about that, but you can do it while designing the pages.) If you are using a template that's a full 12x12, for example, you might have to reduce its size slightly so that it's 11 1/2 by 11 1/2 inches. You probably know this already, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to warn you, just in case you didn't know. Your background papers can be a full 12x12 because it doesn't matter if they are cut off slightly. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 11:24 AM, Florida granny said:

Terri, Can you switch the two smaller photos and see how it looks? I'm bothered by the fact that the middle book crease goes right through the little girl's face. I know you are planning lay flat pages, but still... 
If the embossed paper looks too gray, you can choose a pale beige/cream and colorize the paper, using a Hue Saturation Adjustment Layer. Then move the sliders to adjust the saturation.

I agree - what she said about adjusting hue/saturation ... the grey tone is off a bit - I think true white or maybe even a vanilla would look better (just my opinion).

On 1/26/2023 at 11:24 AM, Florida granny said:

Thank you so very much for catching this! I am going to post my redo below

Very pretty, Terri! Those girls are adorable and the photos are terrific. I think you carried out the simple theme really well. My only comment would be that since you have images that bridge the center of the book that you might use the same embossed paper on facing pages for continuity.

7 hours ago, Celestine said:

Very pretty, Terri! Those girls are adorable and the photos are terrific. I think you carried out the simple theme really well. My only comment would be that since you have images that bridge the center of the book that you might use the same embossed paper on facing pages for continuity.

Thank You Celeste! What would I do without you? I will change those...do you suggest using the same papers throughout the book? I don't want it to look off/ Also, instead of adding names I'm going to put in quotes. Do you know of any font styles that would look nice? I so appreciate you!

5 minutes ago, terriscrapper said:

Thank You Celeste! What would I do without you? I will change those...do you suggest using the same papers throughout the book? I don't want it to look off/ Also, instead of adding names I'm going to put in quotes. Do you know of any font styles that would look nice? I so appreciate you!

Terri - I would use any of the papers from Brandy's embossed papers kit throughout your book. They are designed to coordinate. There may be some pages where you would prefer a floral emboss pattern over a geometric one, and you have that flexibility within the kit.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by adding quotes instead of names. Do you mean journaling a little about the images on the page?

As far as fonts go, there are many free fonts on different websites that you can use for personal projects. We've discussed them fairly often somewhere or another on the forum. I like DaFont.com. My suggestion if you are looking for simplicity in your project is to choose a san serif title font, a fancy cursive font (maybe Photograph Signature or Edwardian Script) for additional titles and emphasis (since this is a wedding book), and then perhaps a serif font for your journaling. If you are wanting something a little less formal, then go in the direction of handwriting fonts. Font styles vary wildly and definitely help set a project's formality. For readability for smaller text that is san serif, I tend to like Tw Cent MT (and its companions of bold and condensed). My favorite handwriting font for smaller journaling is Please Write Me A Song or Shadows Into Light, and for title work I like Dearest, Underhand and Simply Glorious . I probably don't have a favorite serif font, and there are many standard ones like Century Schoolbook, Palatino, Constantia, etc. Maybe choose one that has a cool italic version as well. If you go to this page, you can see where I used Tw Cen MT for text and Dearest for title work in my cookbook project. For that project I spent quite a bit of time choosing my fonts and experimenting with the type size and which ones I liked together. I even printed a sample page on my home printer to see which combo I liked best. While I did use other fonts for emphasis in tags, these were my standard two. If you are using a more uncommon font, be sure to at least type in all the letters, both lowercase and capital, and the numbers to make sure they look like you want them to. Be aware that on some of the freebie font sites, not all numbers or punctuation are always offered. If these are your base fonts for a big project, you will want them to be as complete as possible.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, LOL, but I was on a roll! :whew:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Celestine said:

Terri - I would use any of the papers from Brandy's embossed papers kit throughout your book. They are designed to coordinate. There may be some pages where you would prefer a floral emboss pattern over a geometric one, and you have that flexibility within the kit.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by adding quotes instead of names. Do you mean journaling a little about the images on the page?

As far as fonts go, there are many free fonts on different websites that you can use for personal projects. We've discussed them fairly often somewhere or another on the forum. I like DaFont.com. My suggestion if you are looking for simplicity in your project is to choose a san serif title font, a fancy cursive font (maybe Photograph Signature or Edwardian Script) for additional titles and emphasis (since this is a wedding book), and then perhaps a serif font for your journaling. If you are wanting something a little less formal, then go in the direction of handwriting fonts. Font styles vary wildly and definitely help set a project's formality. For readability for smaller text that is san serif, I tend to like Tw Cent MT (and its companions of bold and condensed). My favorite handwriting font for smaller journaling is Please Write Me A Song or Shadows Into Light, and for title work I like Dearest, Underhand and Simply Glorious . I probably don't have a favorite serif font, and there are many standard ones like Century Schoolbook, Palatino, Constantia, etc. Maybe choose one that has a cool italic version as well. If you go to this page, you can see where I used Tw Cen MT for text and Dearest for title work in my cookbook project. For that project I spent quite a bit of time choosing my fonts and experimenting with the type size and which ones I liked together. I even printed a sample page on my home printer to see which combo I liked best. While I did use other fonts for emphasis in tags, these were my standard two. If you are using a more uncommon font, be sure to at least type in all the letters, both lowercase and capital, and the numbers to make sure they look like you want them to. Be aware that on some of the freebie font sites, not all numbers or punctuation are always offered. If these are your base fonts for a big project, you will want them to be as complete as possible.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, LOL, but I was on a roll! :whew:

I am going to say something Like Sugar and Spice and Every thing nice. So in other words I kind of wanted something to look unique. Make sense???? Thank you so much for your input

I am struggling a bit with this one.....open to advice...Also, where should I post my layouts instead of here? First off, the previous page template was like this except I reversed the template so it wouldn't look the same....The brides photo can't be raised unless I change the template....also not sure I like all the junk in the big long picture...I'm concerned too that the inner photos are right on the edge of the binding? Thoughts? 

start to girls getting ready py2.jpg