My turn for an intro

Guest Ann in MA

Guest Ann in MA
Hi! I'm not really sure how I found my way here, but here I am.

Let's see ... I live in Massachusetts with DH and two daughters, ages 2 and 5. I've been an on-and-off scrapper for 4 years -- I'm currently "on". I have a full-time day job, and also a passion for bookbinding, so I have also started a micro-business selling handmade books and journals.

All of this doesn't leave me much time to scrap, but I have a very understanding DH who doesn't mind me going to crops for an evening or even a weekend.

I was also pretty heavily into rubber stamping, collage, altered books, etc., but gave those things up over a year ago to concentrate on bookbinding. However, DH and my mom guilted me into scrapping again (they don't scrap, but they like the end result) and now I'm just as obsessed as ever.

I look forward to meeting everyone here, and seeing how this site evolves. I'm not even sure what it is yet, LOL!

Nice to "meet" everyone!

Ann

Where in Mass? I have a friend who lives in one of the "Newtons", I have to look it up though, because I get confused as to which one---I rarely write her anymore, we just email and call. But her folks have a nice place in Glouchester.

She used to live in Cambridge and I loved visiting her there. My family is from Vermont and my Dad worked in Boston long ago.

Do you say ideaR? Everyone out here in Calif. says IDEA, not IDEAR. It's my only connection anymore with the East Coast: my bit o'accent.

Glad you ar here, welcome! Looking forward to seeing some of your bound books!!!

Guest JenniaHart
Welcome Ann!! I've never ventured into bookbinding, I'd sure love to know more about it when you have time to share.

As for what the site is- our hope is that the message board will become a great community for scrapbookers and other paper crafters to come together and share ideas. The business side of ScrapGirls will concentrate on selling idea books and printable scrapbooking and crafting supplies. Most of what we sell will be downloaded- not shipped. Because of this you will pay less for your books and supplies and be able to have instand gratification (just pay and download immediately) no more waiting for your local store to get a book or paper in stock!!

Guest Ann in MA
Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Jennia -- I expect that at some point bookbinding will be as popular in the scrapping world as altered books or acrylic paint in scrapbooks. The little accordian albums that people are making, and the Bazzill mini-albums, are all "bookbinding 101" projects. That's how I started. I've since ventured into various binding styles and am studying with a Master Bookbinder (he's 83) to learn traditional binding, but the 'artsy' side of binding is still a lot of fun. You can see my work at my website, which I've linked below in my sig line.

Veranda -- I'm about an hour away from "the Newtons" (yes, there are a lot of little burgs in Newton), but there's good shopping there, so I go there fairly often. No scrapping stores, though... I don't say "ideaR" because I wasn't born here ... but I hear it a lot, as you can imagine!

Looking forward to being part of the group!

Guest JenniaHart
well, in that case I hae dabbled in bookbinding, I just didn't know it!! I made a mini album for MIL and an accordian album for my nephew. The 6 x 6 accordian album was made from Bazzill and I used twill tape to "bind" it. It turned out really cute, was a lot of fun, went fast and was CHEAP to make- just a few sheets of Bazzill and twill tape from Wal Mart that costs $.45 a year as I recall.

I can see how you'd get hooked on that because I already have plans to create an improved version of that 6 x 6 Bazzill album to share here on ScrapGirls as a printable Mini-Album!!

Guest Ann in MA
Thank you, Jan! I looked at your website, and it's wonderful. I appreciate your kind words about my work! I look forward to meeting you, too...

Ann, welcome, welcome!! I love your coptic binding and wish I could do it myself. I actually did a web search for bookbinding and came up with so many incredible websites, ideas, books to buy, and on and on! I definitely think that bookbinding is the perfect addition to a scrapbooker's repetoire. Thanks for the inspiration!

Karla

Guest Ann in MA
Yay, Karla, I love infecting other people with the bookbindng bug :P

Where do you live? The Coptic Stitch binding isn't terribly difficult once you take a class -- I teach in Rhode Island, and elsewhere in New England, but I'm sure that there are people teaching it all over the US. It's a pretty popular binding style right now.

Have fun, and if you have any questions, yell!

Ann

Ann, I actually did an internet search for classes, but the closest thing I came up with is a class at Paper Source in Chicago. I live across Lake Michigan from the Windy City in southwest Michigan, so it's a 90 minute drive with no traffic - which never happens anymore. Is Coptic Binding too complicated to learn from a book? Any recommendations? Thanks for "infecting" me!!

Karla

Guest Ann in MA
Paper Source is actually a good place to take a class if you can get there and it fits your schedule. The one near me does teach coptic binding. It can be a little tricky to learn from a book -- it's basically an easy binding, but there are a few tricky spots where most people get hung up. I'm on the road right now so don't have access to my books to see which ones have that binding. But basically, I recommend any book from Shereen LaPlantz or Alissa (sp?) Golden.

How far are you from Ann Arbor, MI? There is a wonderful store there called Hollander's that has classes -- but it's worth the trip anyway just to ogle their gorgeous papers.

Thanks, Ann! I'm about three hours from Ann Arbor, so Chicago might be my best bet. I'll keep looking, but if I'm ever in Rhode Island, I'll look for your classes!! :D

Karla

• 2 weeks later...

Archived