Is There Anything Wrong With Putting All Files On A Cd?

kara1820

Hi, everyone! I am a semi-newbie to DS. Before I start going crazy with the downloads, I'd like to develop an organizational system. I would like to keep everything off of my hard drive in order to keep as much memory free as possible. Plus if my system crashes, I will still have my files. I was planning on just having one CD-RW for each type of file, (some CDs would be for complete kits, but then I'd copy each part onto individual CDs: one for alphabets, one for papers, one for brads, etc)., because I want to keep as much as possible off of my hard drive. As I was reading this forum, though, I started to think that I shouldn't use CDs. So many of you use other systems, like Photoshop, Picasa, or ACDsee, etc. Is there a reason why I shouldn't just use CD-RWs? I thought it would keep my files safe and organized, I could see each item on thumbnails, etc. Can someone give me some advice? Thank you so much!
Kara

Guest dawnsmemories
That would be fine... I personally wopuld be overwhelmed having it that way. I know that several do this and print thumbnails of what is on each disk so it is easier to find what you want. I do back up everything on cds... I do this monthly usually but it really depends on how much I have gotten. I have an external hard drive which I think is invaluable so I don't have to search disks and it save my hard drive space.

HTH!
Dawn
PS - welcome to ScrapGirls!

Guest bellagirl
I back up all my scrap stuff on a large external HD. I keep all my zips on DVDs. That way if something happens to my External HD I still have all my downloads safely zipped on a DVD. I also have a duplicate DVD of my zips which I am going to give to my dd to keep for me. I also have a portable external HD that I keep all my open kits etc, (no zips, just kits) It is easy to carry with me because it is small. If I am working on a project and know what kits etc I will be using I put them on a flash drive which as you know are small and easy to use. I think Ro advises to backup with DVDs if possible instead of CDs because they last longer. HTH

Organisation methods are really a personal choice. Different approaches work for different people. So there's nothing wrong with keeping your stuff on CD/DVDs if that will work for you. The important thing is to have a method that lets you find what you need in a stash that can quickly grow to huge proportions.

You've had some great answers here, and Karen is right to say it is a personal issue. Everyone has their methods depending on what they have and what they can afford. I can give you some advice about storing on CD though as I did this before I got my external hard drives, and I still do it as a back up.

I keep all my kits SEPERATE on a CD a piece. The reason I do this is because I spend too much time looking through CD's finding exactly what I was looking for. It was getting pitiful. Finally, I redid everything. I loaded ONE collection or kit per CD, and I bought Jewel Cases. I got the cases and the CD's while they were buy one get one free at Office Max, so I saved a bundle too.

Then I went into the boutique and I printed out 2 copies of the larger version of the kit sample (Using a CD jewel case label maker). I cut one and put it in the front of the jewel case and I made labels for the side so I knew which kit was in the CD. Now I can pull out a jewel case, SEE the collection right on the front, and I know exactly what is in there. Then I took the second print out of the kits and put them in a notebook. I can glance through that and see which kit I want to use (or which item from that kit) and then just pull out the coordinating CD. Yes, it is time consuming at first, but if you are good with keeping up with your purchases, it will save you LOTS Of time in the long run just looking for what you need...

Again, just a suggestion from one who has lots of experience with this!

I heard about external hard drives for the first time on this board. From what I understand, they are basically just a place to store your files separately from your main computer, and you connect it to your computer through a USB drive, right? I will consider getting a portable EHD to store and view my files. Where do you buy them- Best Buy?

Thanks for all your advice about storing info on CDs. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but this forum has given me a lot of ideas!

Kara

Oh, sorry- forgot to ask: Do you keep your files zipped? If you do, isn't it a hassle to unzip it each time you want to use it and then zip it again? I understand that zipped files take up less space, but I would hate to take the time unzipping and zipping each file every time. Or maybe I misread that. Thanks for any opinions!

[quote name='kara1820' post='91507' date='Jan 28 2007, 07:22 PM']Hi, everyone! I am a semi-newbie to DS. Before I start going crazy with the downloads, I'd like to develop an organizational system. I would like to keep everything off of my hard drive in order to keep as much memory free as possible. Plus if my system crashes, I will still have my files. I was planning on just having one CD-RW for each type of file, (some CDs would be for complete kits, but then I'd copy each part onto individual CDs: one for alphabets, one for papers, one for brads, etc)., because I want to keep as much as possible off of my hard drive. As I was reading this forum, though, I started to think that I shouldn't use CDs. So many of you use other systems, like Photoshop, Picasa, or ACDsee, etc. Is there a reason why I shouldn't just use CD-RWs? I thought it would keep my files safe and organized, I could see each item on thumbnails, etc. Can someone give me some advice? Thank you so much!
Kara[/quote]

Hi Kara,
Here are some options -
1) using CD's or DVD's will work fine & I'd suggest using software like ACDSee because then you can create offline discs - which will allow you to see & search the thumbnails even when the discs aren't in the computer. When you find something that you want to use double click on the item & the software tells you which disc to put in. (There's no need to print hard copies of thumbnails - ACDSee does the work for you) - and I wouldn't recommend burning zipped files onto discs - they take up almost as much space as a file.

2) and external hard drive is another option. We have information on [url="http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/files/files.php?cat=6"]shopping for one at our website here[/url] & what to look for.

Also we have[url="http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/files/details.php?file=2"] tutorials on organizing with ACDSee that you can look over & download the trial [/url]there too. link is at the top

Either option 1 or 2 would work great with ACDSee - and you're wise to get started early on.
And you're welcome to ask questions at our website. We're having an open house until the 31st & some great prizes including 2 copies of ACDSee - so feel free to register. Everyone is welcome to join us! [url="http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132"]Start here.[/url]

Guest bellagirl
[quote name='kara1820' post='91713' date='Jan 29 2007, 08:40 AM']I heard about external hard drives for the first time on this board. From what I understand, they are basically just a place to store your files separately from your main computer, and you connect it to your computer through a USB drive, right? I will consider getting a portable EHD to store and view my files. Where do you buy them- Best Buy?

Thanks for all your advice about storing info on CDs. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but this forum has given me a lot of ideas!

Kara[/quote]

You can get an EHD at best buy. If you have access to an old Laptop you can actually make a potable HD. I did that and it is great. Also I open the zips up, but I do keep a copy of zips on a DVD. And they do take up room but at least they are at my fingertips if I need them. As everyone here will agree, back up, back up and then back up again. LOL

[quote name='wxchic' post='91643' date='Jan 29 2007, 05:06 AM']You've had some great answers here, and Karen is right to say it is a personal issue. Everyone has their methods depending on what they have and what they can afford. I can give you some advice about storing on CD though as I did this before I got my external hard drives, and I still do it as a back up.

I keep all my kits SEPERATE on a CD a piece. The reason I do this is because I spend too much time looking through CD's finding exactly what I was looking for. It was getting pitiful. Finally, I redid everything. I loaded ONE collection or kit per CD, and I bought Jewel Cases. I got the cases and the CD's while they were buy one get one free at Office Max, so I saved a bundle too.

Then I went into the boutique and I printed out 2 copies of the larger version of the kit sample (Using a CD jewel case label maker). I cut one and put it in the front of the jewel case and I made labels for the side so I knew which kit was in the CD. Now I can pull out a jewel case, SEE the collection right on the front, and I know exactly what is in there. Then I took the second print out of the kits and put them in a notebook. I can glance through that and see which kit I want to use (or which item from that kit) and then just pull out the coordinating CD. Yes, it is time consuming at first, but if you are good with keeping up with your purchases, it will save you LOTS Of time in the long run just looking for what you need...

Again, just a suggestion from one who has lots of experience with this![/quote]

Theresa, this sounds like something I think I should do. I get so tired of going through a cagillion cd's and reading the way you did it would save me so so so much time. I think I better do it this way from here on out so I won't be lost and getting frustrated when I can't find what I'm looking for. I have a very bad habit of not labeling cd's very well, so thanks for sharing how you do it and hope you don't mind me following your lead. ;)

They sell markers specifically for writing on discs that are very permanent. And I found a cool 2 drawer box that holds 120 discs (my family has 5 of them). Do you want to see it? The discs hang in little hanging file folders. I get them from J&R software - they're made by Fellowes.

Guest siraacsa
[quote name='kara1820' post='91507' date='Jan 29 2007, 12:22 PM']Hi, everyone! I am a semi-newbie to DS. Before I start going crazy with the downloads, I'd like to develop an organizational system. I would like to keep everything off of my hard drive in order to keep as much memory free as possible. Plus if my system crashes, I will still have my files. I was planning on just having one CD-RW for each type of file, (some CDs would be for complete kits, but then I'd copy each part onto individual CDs: one for alphabets, one for papers, one for brads, etc)., because I want to keep as much as possible off of my hard drive. As I was reading this forum, though, I started to think that I shouldn't use CDs. So many of you use other systems, like Photoshop, Picasa, or ACDsee, etc. Is there a reason why I shouldn't just use CD-RWs? I thought it would keep my files safe and organized, I could see each item on thumbnails, etc. Can someone give me some advice? Thank you so much!
Kara[/quote]

Hi Kara, you been given lots of great advice here in regards to storing your digital files, and that is what you need to decide on first. Are you going to store them on CD, DVD or external harddrive, all fine choices. Software such as Photoshop Organiser, ACDsee, Picasa and DigitalScraproom are all programs to view your files once you have them stored somewhere. Photoshop organiser comes with photoshop, Picasa is a free program (but doesn't show png files all that well, ACDsee and Digitalscraproom are available for purchase. Again this choice comes down to a personal preference.

I store everything on hard drives. I want another external one. My dh is a chip designer at intel, so I'm a bit spoiled in the computer dept., but I use a 250g drive for scrapbooking (and videos), so I can put whatever I want on it. I back up everything (photos, pages & kits) on a Wolverine external hard drive that has card reader slots. I can take it with me to use with the laptop so I can scrap anywhere. It is great because I can back up my pictures while I'm on vacation- no worries about losing my camera with all my photos on te card. I also copy all my sister's photos of an event as well. It is pretty handy.
I use a win-sync software to syncronize the files on the drives. Then whatever I add to either one gets updated. My computer guru husband set this all up for me of course, but it works really well.

[quote name='wxchic' post='91643' date='Jan 29 2007, 08:06 AM']I keep all my kits SEPERATE on a CD a piece. The reason I do this is because I spend too much time looking through CD's finding exactly what I was looking for. It was getting pitiful. Finally, I redid everything. I loaded ONE collection or kit per CD, and I bought Jewel Cases. I got the cases and the CD's while they were buy one get one free at Office Max, so I saved a bundle too.

Then I went into the boutique and I printed out 2 copies of the larger version of the kit sample (Using a CD jewel case label maker). I cut one and put it in the front of the jewel case and I made labels for the side so I knew which kit was in the CD. Now I can pull out a jewel case, SEE the collection right on the front, and I know exactly what is in there. Then I took the second print out of the kits and put them in a notebook. I can glance through that and see which kit I want to use (or which item from that kit) and then just pull out the coordinating CD. Yes, it is time consuming at first, but if you are good with keeping up with your purchases, it will save you LOTS Of time in the long run just looking for what you need...[/quote]

WHAT AN AWESOME IDEA! Thank you for sharing this, Theresa! I am definitely going to do this now, while my "collection" is still rather small! Great tip!

[quote name='April Showers' post='92429' date='Jan 30 2007, 07:02 PM']I store everything on hard drives. I want another external one. My dh is a chip designer at intel, so I'm a bit spoiled in the computer dept., but I use a 250g drive for scrapbooking (and videos), so I can put whatever I want on it. I back up everything (photos, pages & kits) on a Wolverine external hard drive that has card reader slots. I can take it with me to use with the laptop so I can scrap anywhere. It is great because I can back up my pictures while I'm on vacation- no worries about losing my camera with all my photos on te card. I also copy all my sister's photos of an event as well. It is pretty handy.
I use a win-sync software to syncronize the files on the drives. Then whatever I add to either one gets updated. My computer guru husband set this all up for me of course, but it works really well.[/quote]

We're using ACDSee to do the synchonizing - and it can be set up to do it automatically. My sister figured it out. Each of us has a 260 gig EHD & another that it synchs to (mirroring the first one - so we have our collection backed up).

We have instr's written up for it. It's an easy way to back up & ACDSee has the capability built into it - and with my sister's tutorial - it's easy to set up.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived