Pse.5 Users: Can I Save A Whole Catalog Onto A Cd/dvd?

kara1820

Hi everyone! I have been learning so much from you. I was wondering if it is possible to save a whole catalog, with tags intact, onto a CD or DVD, in PSE.5. I have all of my 600+ pictures tagged, and in the interest of saving hard drive space, I'd like to keep it all saved on a CD-RW. If I do that, will the tags still be there when I open the CD again? I would like to make a catalog of my digital scrapbook supplies as well, and and save them to disk, but only if it keeps the tags intact. Any ideas? THANKS!! :D

Guest Sharebear57
It is possible, but I have never actually done it. I think there may be an option like "back up catalog" or something, and I know I have seen something that says "save tag to file" or something like that, although I do not exactly what it does. It is definitely possible to do what you are trying to do, though!

In fact, sometimes when I import my new SG supplies into my Organizer, I get a box saying that some of them have tags attached and asking if I want to save them!

Anyway, I am sure someone will chime in who knows exactly how to do it. If no one does, I'll try and see if I can figure it out later and come back and let you know how it goes. (Ps. You might also be able to find directions if you want to go through the Adobe Help files.)

Yes, you can do this easily with PSE5!

Tag info is stored in the catalog (.psa) files.

It sounds like you want to "move" all your pics and tags to a CD or DVD.

First, I'd recommend that you back up your photos and tags before moving them off your hard drive, just in case anything goes wrong during the move.
To make a backup:[list]
[*]Allow plenty of time for the backup. I do mine before bed.
[*]Check the name of the catalog at the top of Organizer. (It will have the Catalog name with .psa after it). This is the catalog of tags and photos that will be backed up.
[*]Select File, Backup Catalog
[*]Full Backup
[*]...just follow the prompts. PSE should estimate how many CD/DVD's are required. Since I have plenty of hard drive space, I just let my full backup run to a folder on c: named "PSE Backup."
[/list]After you have a good backup, PSE has a utility to move pics to external media. The catalog will contain a reference to where the photo is stored externally. The tag info is retained in the catalog. [list]
[*]Select File, Copy/Move Offline...
[*]Yes to the prompt "burn all of the currently display images"
[*]...and just follow the prompts
[/list]

[quote name='kara1820' post='94547' date='Feb 3 2007, 08:57 AM']Hi everyone! I have been learning so much from you. I was wondering if it is possible to save a whole catalog, with tags intact, onto a CD or DVD, in PSE.5. I have all of my 600+ pictures tagged, and in the interest of saving hard drive space, I'd like to keep it all saved on a CD-RW. If I do that, will the tags still be there when I open the CD again? I would like to make a catalog of my digital scrapbook supplies as well, and and save them to disk, but only if it keeps the tags intact. Any ideas? THANKS!! :D[/quote]

Guest siraacsa
HI Kara. Westina has given you a great tutorial. Here also is a link to the adobe knowledge base regarding the [url="http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bc1dd36/12"]move/restore function[/url].

Good luck.

Westina, thank you for your great advice! I had been working on how to do it since I posted the original request a few hours ago. After much trial and error (the help file didn't help much! Your advice was much better) I almost had it; I had just declined to back up the files first, since I had them on CD anyway and I didn't think I needed to. I followed your instructions on a small catalog of 16 items that I recently got as freebies from Scrapgirls, and it worked great. What's nice is that the items stay on the hard drive in a low-resolution proxy catalog, and when I click on an item to edit it, PSE instructs me to insert the CD. Then it makes the offline items online, and I can use them as normal. And you weren't kidding about how long it takes to back up the items and to burn the catalog to a CD- it took several minutes for just the 16 items! I'm going to experiment a while longer with the 16 item catalog before I move my 600+ photo catalog to CD; I'm too nervous that I'll mess up and lose them all. But I do have them all on disk already, so the worst that would happen is I'd lose the tags.

I have been taking so long to organize my tiny amount of stuff that I have only done one layout since I got PSE 5 three weeks ago! I guess I should get started!

Thanks again for the advice!

Hi all ...

Kara, glad it worked for you! Here are a few more PSE5 Organizer tips that work for me:

[b]Make a quick export of just Tags:[/b][list]
[*]From the Organize Bin (open on the right-hand side of the screen), have Tags visible
[*]Select New, Save Tags to File
[*]Opt to Export All Tags
[*]Save to file in directory of your choice
[*]... this creates an XML file that contains all your Tags (back up the XML file for safekeeping)
[/list][b]Make a copy of the PSE5 Organizer Catalog for safekeeping (includes tags and photo info, not photos themselves)[/b]
[i]This is much quicker than taking the full Backup within Organizer, but this method doesn't backup photos[/i][list]
[*]Locate Adobe .psa files
[*]The default location is:
[*]c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\catalogs
[*]Copy the .psa files for safekeeping either to external drive or CD/DVD
[/list]Kara, you're right. The Organizer Backup takes a long time. But, it's worth it for peace of mind. I just backed up a catalog with 10,000 items the other night, but it was finished by morning.

You are smart to have photos in two different places. The tags can always be recreated, the photos are irreplaceable!

Take care,
Tina

Archived