Pse.5 Users: Can I Save A Whole Catalog Onto A Cd/dvd?
Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:57 AM
Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:06 PM
Parker (May 30th 2006) and Abbygale (Sept 25 2007)
Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:33 PM
In fact, sometimes when I import my new SG supplies into my Organizer, I get a box saying that some of them have tags attached and asking if I want to save them!
Anyway, I am sure someone will chime in who knows exactly how to do it. If no one does, I'll try and see if I can figure it out later and come back and let you know how it goes. (Ps. You might also be able to find directions if you want to go through the Adobe Help files.)
Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:12 PM
Tag info is stored in the catalog (.psa) files.
It sounds like you want to "move" all your pics and tags to a CD or DVD.
First, I'd recommend that you back up your photos and tags before moving them off your hard drive, just in case anything goes wrong during the move.
To make a backup:
- Allow plenty of time for the backup. I do mine before bed.
- Check the name of the catalog at the top of Organizer. (It will have the Catalog name with .psa after it). This is the catalog of tags and photos that will be backed up.
- Select File, Backup Catalog
- Full Backup
- ...just follow the prompts. PSE should estimate how many CD/DVD's are required. Since I have plenty of hard drive space, I just let my full backup run to a folder on c: named "PSE Backup."
- Select File, Copy/Move Offline...
- Yes to the prompt "burn all of the currently display images"
- ...and just follow the prompts
My SG gallery
Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:58 PM
Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:24 PM
I have been taking so long to organize my tiny amount of stuff that I have only done one layout since I got PSE 5 three weeks ago! I guess I should get started!
Thanks again for the advice!
Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:48 PM
Kara, glad it worked for you! Here are a few more PSE5 Organizer tips that work for me:
Make a quick export of just Tags:
- From the Organize Bin (open on the right-hand side of the screen), have Tags visible
- Select New, Save Tags to File
- Opt to Export All Tags
- Save to file in directory of your choice
- ... this creates an XML file that contains all your Tags (back up the XML file for safekeeping)
This is much quicker than taking the full Backup within Organizer, but this method doesn't backup photos
- Locate Adobe .psa files
- The default location is:
- c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\catalogs
- Copy the .psa files for safekeeping either to external drive or CD/DVD
You are smart to have photos in two different places. The tags can always be recreated, the photos are irreplaceable!
My SG gallery