6 replies to this topic

#1 elf1023

elf1023

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:34 PM

In my fonts, there a is Japanese or Chinese wing-ding. If I try to use it, all I get are rectangles, no letters. Am I doing something wrong? I love the oriental letter look, but if I cannot use the font, I may as well delete it and make room for others.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 AmandaFace

AmandaFace

Scrap Girls Design Team

• Design Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:05 AM

try turning your caps lock on and typing in some letters. dingbats rarely have a ding assigned to every letter.

#3 Betsy

Betsy

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:12 AM

Also, you need to be careful abou deleting fonts as some that seem useless are actually being used by programs in ways yuo don't really see - but deleting them can cause a problem.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Sharebear57

Sharebear57

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:42 AM

BTW... (I am not sure if you are more concerned about being able to use the font, or being able to delete it safely but...)if you need a Chinese character for a layout and are using PSE, there are several in the Custom Shapes tool.

Also, if you want to delete a font but are worried about damage it might cause (like Besty said) you could try copying the font into a folder on your desktop, then uninstall it and see what happens. That way, if any problems show up, you can just re-install the font from your desktop folder.
Sherri... (My Layout Gallery)
My Website: www.TailsofSuccessNY.com

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#5 elf1023

elf1023

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

BTW... (I am not sure if you are more concerned about being able to use the font, or being able to delete it safely but...)if you need a Chinese character for a layout and are using PSE, there are several in the Custom Shapes tool.

Also, if you want to delete a font but are worried about damage it might cause (like Besty said) you could try copying the font into a folder on your desktop, then uninstall it and see what happens. That way, if any problems show up, you can just re-install the font from your desktop folder.

thank you for your help. I do have pse5, but am new at it and not familiar with that tool, but I will get used to it. I really wanted the chinese/japanese characters for embellishments on cards (non-digital) I will try the capital thing, maybe if I put that font on, and just type with it, it sends in chinese/japanese, you know, like converts it. Oh well!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Betsy

Betsy

• Members
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

I did a quick search on www.dafont.com and found an "Asian Dingbats" category:
http://www.dafont.co...eme.php?cat=703

Hope that helps!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Becca

Becca

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:36 AM

Just a suggestion, but have you opened your CHARACTER MAP (found in the Accessories folder) to that font? That should tell you which keys have an assigned letter/dingbat in a specific font. I find that it's very helpful with obscure fonts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users