Fixing A Natural Blur?

Debzanne

I have been working on pictures of my family when they went to a kiddie park last summer. I only have a few left - from the mini-golf course. The problem is that it was a super-humid day in the MidWest and there's a ton of blur in the photos naturally. It's not from moving, but from the heat and the wetness in the air, which seems to create this light haze around people and things I'd prefer to be more in focus.

Any ideas how to fix that? Or, possibly, how to work around it? If you want/need an example, I'll post one.

Debbie

One thing you might want to try is sharpening just a little, and then adjusting brightness and contrast. Sometimes that can make it a bit grainy, but if you use the filters and give the photo a light canvas texture (give it a low relief setting), it helps to mask the graininess. Give that a try and see if it helps. :D

Another thing I find seems to alleviate blur is to go black and white. You might try it. And also, don't NOT use them because of a bit of blur. If they effectively convey the feeling of the event, including the humidity, they will still tell your story well and add a bit of character besides. I've gotten to this point where, while I prefer a sharp, in focus photo, I can still use them to tell the story and then I can learn how to capture the shot more precisely for the next time.

[quote name='Ursula' post='96280' date='Feb 7 2007, 09:02 AM']Another thing I find seems to alleviate blur is to go black and white. You might try it. And also, don't NOT use them because of a bit of blur. If they effectively convey the feeling of the event, including the humidity, they will still tell your story well and add a bit of character besides. I've gotten to this point where, while I prefer a sharp, in focus photo, I can still use them to tell the story and then I can learn how to capture the shot more precisely for the next time.[/quote]
I agree with Ursula - use them! You can have really fun layouts with "imperfect" photos!

I did turn out using the photos - thanks for the encouragement, all. The title of the 2-page LO is "Hazy Days," which I feel is a CYA-kind of title, but it works for what I need, too. When I asked the question, I just felt like, "Here I am using this powerful software; I should be able to fix these pictures somehow, right?" OF course, your answers were the perfect ones - use them as is and let the pictures send the message about the heat. As a trad scrapper, I wouldn't have thought twice for the same reason, but the software put this big block in my vision. Thanks for the correction on my "glasses," everyone.

Btw, I posted the LOs in the gallery under general family, and there are links in the "Share the Love" forum, under "The Last 2 installments of the Kiddie Park Saga."

Debbie

Archived