Adding Brushes

ginnyv

You don't have to but your brush (*abr) files anywhere special in PSE5 - just go to your brushes, click the black triangle to get the menu, choose "Load Brushes" and go to wherever you have your abr files and open one.

I have never used PSE4 so can't say if this is different or not?

[quote name='chickypow' post='97121' date='Feb 8 2007, 06:03 PM']You don't have to but your brush (*abr) files anywhere special in PSE5 - just go to your brushes, click the black triangle to get the menu, choose "Load Brushes" and go to wherever you have your abr files and open one.

I have never used PSE4 so can't say if this is different or not?[/quote]

Thank you. Don't know why I always try to make things harder than they need to be. Found them!

Guest Sharebear57
If you want your brushes to load automatically when you open PSE5, move the .abr files to this location on your computer: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\Presets\Brushes

They should then show up in the brushes drop down menu next time you start up PSE5 (you have to close it out and then re-open it for them to show if you have PSE open while you move the files) Also, I would actually copy the files to that location, rather than move them, so you have back-ups of your brushes just in case you need to re-install PSE.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pebbles
[quote name='Sharebear57' post='97239' date='Feb 9 2007, 10:25 AM']If you want your brushes to load automatically when you open PSE5, move the .abr files to this location on your computer: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\Presets\Brushes

They should then show up in the brushes drop down menu next time you start up PSE5 (you have to close it out and then re-open it for them to show if you have PSE open while you move the files) Also, I would actually copy the files to that location, rather than move them, so you have back-ups of your brushes just in case you need to re-install PSE.[/quote]

Thanks for the directions! This was the absolutely easiest way I've found yet to load brushes into PSE 5.0. I really appreciate it!

Oh I just figured it out..I think. In PSE 5 I went to Edit < Preset Manager and then loaded them by choosing the file on my computer. It was really easy. It seemed too easy compared to the instruction sheet that came with it. Did I do it right??? They are there in my brushes now..I guess I did???? Does anyone know about this??

I try to keep as little as possible in my program files on C drive so it doesnt clog it down I have my actions & shaddows & stuff like that but in my actual program I keep all my abr files in EHD so I can just go find them & use them as needed & not save them when I am done I personally cant see the need to have a gazillion brushes in a program Just my 2 pennies worth ...

ps... the png files usually come with brushes so you can keep them both together & use the png as a picture if you will to know what is in the file

caren

lgsouthfla, it sounds like you're using the selection brush, instead of the regular brush. When you use the selection brush, it's actually making a selection of the brush shape (with the marching ants), rather than stamping the image of the brush. Right click on the brush in your tool bar, and you'll see the other brushes under it. You want the one that just says Brush Tool.

HTH!

Thanks Jan! Thats exactly what I was doing. I bought the brushes e-book here and figured out my problem over the weekend. Are there alot of hidden tools? If I don't know they are hidden how do I know if they are there? Can you tell I am new at this?
\

linda

Linda, a lot of this is just trial and error. :) We've all been there, and done that, I'm sure!

As far as hidden tools, if you go to your toolbar, click on a tool AND KEEP PRESSING, a fly-out menu will pop-up and show you what other "hidden" tools there are available for that selection. There are lots of fun things to try out!

Linda, when you click on the brush tool, is there are bar across the top that gives you different options? (I use PSE5.) On the left side of the bar there should be some options, like brush, impressionist brush, and pencil. Does that appear for you?

Hi Susan,
My brush is the selection brush (A) on the left tool bar.....the only way to get the impressionist to come up at the top is to press B while I am clicking the selection brush on the side tool bar? Is this what you have to do? I have not found a way to not make the selection brush not show and just a brush show. I am really liking the brushes alot it just seems like a crazy way to have to get it to come up just like the undo, I know there are short cuts, but I don't know them yet. I printed them out so i can learn them.

Linda

Archived