#1 HeartsAfire

HeartsAfire

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:16 PM

Hi everyone!

I am not sure if it is just that I am used to using PhotoImpact or if my mind just isn't working right but I am having some trouble working with PSE. Most of the tutorials (including some "beginner" tutorials) I have read assume knowledge of the "basics" of the program and I have found myself getting lost during the process. :lol:

Are there any seasoned users familiar with PSE 5 who can help with the "bare bones" of the program? I think that once I am more familiar with that, my "masterpeices" will begin to actually resemble layouts I feel comfortable sharing. :lol:

Thank you in advance and I hope everyone's weekend is off to a great start!

e/t/a My apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

#2 Sharebear57

Sharebear57

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:44 PM

I use PSE5 and I am happy to help you in anyway I can. What are some specific things that you are having trouble with? Post here, or PM me and I will try to answer your questions. I would love to offer some advice now, but it is such a huge program, I don't know where to start, LOL! So, just give me some idea of what your trouble areas are.

I know there are several other users of PSE5 around here, too, and I know they will be happy to offer you any help they can, too.

Also, have you considered checking out Ro's Video Tutorials? I have the advanced version, not the beginner, but from what I understand, the beginner versions are designed to have people who have no idea what they are doing up and running and creating pages in no time!
Sherri... (My Layout Gallery)
My Website: www.TailsofSuccessNY.com

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#3 Student4Life

Student4Life

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:32 AM

I'd be quite happy to help as well. I only received PSE5 at Christmas and before that I had the very basic PSE2 for a year. I can't promise I'll know all the answers but I'll sure try to help if I can. :-)
~Theresa

I live to listen, to talk, to write, to laugh, but mostly I live to learn.

my galleries:
Learning to Scrap (Layouts since I've started learning from everyone at Scrap Girls)
and:
Help! (could use some constructive criticism and advice)

#4 sunnie2004

sunnie2004

• Members
  • 10,774 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am me nothing more nothing less!

Laurie in Pa took my photo for my photo! TY!!

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:45 AM

I will be happy also just send a pm I forget about looking on the board alot in specific posts so ask away!!

caren
Posted ImagePosted Image
My blog I play with pscs3 !!!
over 5055 gallery comments left!! Imagine I did this stuff

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 amanda

amanda

• Members
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:12 AM

I highly recommend Ro's videos, they are such a great place to start and you get her voice as she shows you how to do things. So, if you're a visual person like me- it helps tremendously instead of having to page through a help manual! You can start and stop as you wish, too.

Also, post your questions here. Don't be shy, don't feel like a doofus, but I know what you mean, I felt the same way too when I first started. (Valerie Randall kept telling me there are no stupid questions!) The Scrap Girls message board is such a great resource, everyone here has been a beginner too at one time and are so willing to help.

#6 Rose Ann

Rose Ann

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:54 AM

Please don't feel like a doofus. I am a geek from a family of computer geeks and I couldn't figure out PSE alone. It is not AT ALL intuitive. In fact, that's how I first stumbled upon Scrapgirls. I was looking for online tutorials for PSE3. I agree with everyone that the videos are very helpful, but I was able to make a layout using the information from the Scrapgirls University. After that, I realized how much COULD be done and started coming to the boards, chats, and finally got the videos. Try the University. It's awesome!!

PS: Welcome to the wonderful world of Scrapgirls!! You came to the right place to learn!!
:welcome2:
Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Mindy

Mindy

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

Just keep asking questions - everyone here is SO friendly and helpful and they explain things really well. Remember, if you have a question on something, chances are really good that there's more than one person out there wondering how to do the exact same thing!

#8 HeartsAfire

HeartsAfire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I am just now getting back online after a virus knocked this computer out of commission for a few days.

The biggest issues right now with PhotoShop are working with layers (I am unable to work with more than one at a time. When I open one image, only that one shows up in the "layers" area and I cannot bring another image onto it), cutting a certain portion out of an image and working with text. I am sure these will become easier for me as I become familiar with the software and I plan on looking into the videos as you all have suggested.

e/t/a I am not sure anyone can help me with this one. After the virus, we had to reformat this computer. Fortunately we backed up everything and I am in the process of loading our files (including the trial version of PSE 5) back onto the computer. For some reason, however, I am unable to continue the trial. When I tried to open PSE 5, a window popped up stating that the grace period had expired. I was only about a week or so into the trial, however. Does anyone have any idea of how (or if) my trial status can be retrieved?

Thank you again, everyone! I am really enjoying this forum! :)

#9 ruralscrapper

ruralscrapper

Too Much Chattin, Not Enough Scrappin!

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:45 PM

If you are trying to get everything up onto the "canvas" you need to click on the right hand corner where there is 4 little squares in a little box ( i believe its close to the help box) ..that will bring everything up onto there so that you can click and drag that onto your layout. HTH and it isn't clear as mud :D As for the trial running out..I'm not sure.. I would just try to down load it again.
My Gallery

Paths clear before those who know where they're going and are determined to get there. -- Leonard Roy Frank
Posted Image

#10 Launa

Launa

• Members
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

I just bought pse4, and I have never used a graphics program! I also swiftly bought Ro's tutorials! I created my first layout the next day! I would highly recommend them! Hang In There!

http://scrapgirls.co...h...i&img=17283

#11 Sharebear57

Sharebear57

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

In PSE5, you have the ability to drag an item up from the photobin and onto your layout. (In previous versions this is not possible). An added bonus of doing it that way is that the file name comes with it. (As in you layer will be called ASO_Winterwhite_Paper1 or whatever, vs. Layer 1, Layer 2.) This makes it musch easier when making your "supplies used" list later.

As for text and selections... you weren't too specific about exatly what problems you are having.
For the text tool, remeber you need to click and drag out a text box to type in.
Cutting parts out of an image requires use of the selection tools. Thats a little to much to just generally explain, but if you can say what specific problems you are having, I am sure we can help you out. I think you will several different answers, though, b.c I think selction methods are highly personal preference.

As for your PSE trial problem... I think it probably has to do with your registry. When dh gets home, he might know, and I'll bet Ro would know exactly what to do if she reads this. In the meantime, maybe you could contact Adobe support and explain the situation?

Great layout, Launa! Left you some love...
Sherri... (My Layout Gallery)
My Website: www.TailsofSuccessNY.com

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#12 HeartsAfire

HeartsAfire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:53 AM

Thank you everyone! I tried to contact Adobe but got a page stating the site area was temporarily unavailable due to scheduled maintenance. I will try again later. In the meantime, I figured I would try PSP too and downloaded that trial. Thank you everyone for your help... :)

#13 siraacsa

siraacsa

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:26 AM

There are quite a few PSP users here too who would be more than happy to help you with any questions you might have there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rachael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users