Faux Batik Technique

As seen in the gallery [url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=860"]here[/url].

Supplies Needed:

White or cream matte cardstock
Rubber stamp images
Clear, Resist or Versamark ink
Clear embossing powder
Variety of dye based ink pads (I like Adirondack, by Ranger)
Sponges
Iron

1 - On the cardstock, stamp your image(s) with the clear, resist or Versamark ink and emboss with clear embossing powder.

2 - Using a different sponge for every color family, apply color over and around the embossed images, working from lightest to darkest back to lightest color again, being sure to blend in the colors to prevent harsh breaks. With a slightly wet Q-Tip, wipe the color off of the embossed images.

3 - Place another piece of cardstock over top of your colored piece, and iron with a hot, dry iron until the top piece of cardstock has absorbed the embossing powder. You'll know you haven't ironed long enough if the two pieces stick together. This means the powder has melted again, but not been absorbed. You should be able to start to see your stamped images through the back of the top piece of cardstock. Remove the top piece. The bottom piece is done, and can be used as an embellishment on a scrapbook page or a card.

4 - We're going to continue to work a bit more with the top piece, though, to get an even cooler look. This is the look you see on my Iris card. Repeat steps 1 and 2 on this piece, either using the same stamp images, or others. Notice as you apply the color that both sets of embossed images resist the ink. Pretty cool, isn't it! Again, clean off the second embossed image(s), and taking another piece of cardstock, iron again. The result is a stark while resist over a much subtler resist. Isn't that beautiful. In addition, you also hold in your hand a third piece of cardstock on which you can continue to create works of art, and so on, and so on, and so on.

I first saw this technique, and have taken most of these instructions from an article in the November 2004 Scrap & Stamp Arts magazine. The article is by a woman named Catherine Allan, who does some amazing things with this technique. Her samples are absolutely breathtaking.

Hope you all give this wonderful technique a try. And if you do, please post your creations in the gallery!

Enjoy!

Guest talina
A little out of my league (not much of a stamper--don't even own embossing powder, lol), but I wanted to say this is a BEAUTIFUL TECHNIQUE and THANKS FOR SHARING!!!!

Really interesting, thanks Jan. I do love the look. But like Talina, that's more product than I own! And it sounds messy, hmmm....can I replicate this on a computer? tee hee!

I nominate you to be queen of batik!

That's one of the things I love, getting messy! It makes me feel so creative!

Queen of Batik it is! And V, if you manage to replicate this on the computer, please do show us! I would love to see it. I'm sure you or one of the other ladies could figure out something along these lines!

• 1 year later...
Guest iamlilymunster
[quote name='varanda' post='5882' date='Mar 3 2005, 08:19 PM']Here's a quick digi version: [url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=867"]Digital Batik[/url][/quote]

Is there a tutorial for digital batik? I've been wanting to do that and have looked for a tutorial but can't find one anywhere. Wonderful work.

Good question, hmmmmmm, how did i do that? you're going to make me THINK and try to remember a pure creative process? ACK!!!!! I'll add it to my to-do list, but don't hold your breath, it's kind of long.

• 10 months later...

Archived