Which Software For Mac Os10

Ilenef

I'm trying hard to get settled into digital scrapbooking. I'm confused which software to buy or even if I need to. I have MSword on my computer and have used it a little. I'm looking at iremember 2.0 and photoshop elements. I'd really just like to buy one and be done with it already. Making the decision when I haven't experience with either is driving me nuts so I'm looking for reviews or recommendations/limitations. Thank you!

Guest AZTechnoScrapper
Welcome to SG!

Yay...another Mac person! :D To make pages like you see here in the gallery, you really need a program like Photoshop or its "younger sibling" Photoshop Elements. Paint Shop Pro is another popular program, but I think it's Windows only. These types of programs give you a great deal of freedom when you're designing a layout, or even making your own page elements.

As much as I'd love to upgrade to Photoshop CS, my wallet just can't handle it. I recently upgraded Photoshop Elements 3.0 to 4.0 and have been very happy. There's a great book called [i]The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements 4[/i] by Richard Lynch that teaches you how to mimic many of the functions that Photoshop has, without having to upgrade. It's technical, but worth it. He's put out similar books for versions 2.0 and 3.0 as well.

Just my opinion, but I hope it helps you make your decision!

Photoshop and Photoshop Elements are 2 versions of the same software--basically Photoshop is considered the "full blown" editing program, where Elements is not as powerful. Trust me, you can still do a lot with Elements and it's good for digi-scrappers, but Photoshop is really where it's at if you want to have more control over photo editing, layouts, and creating your own products. It's just got more options and 'gadgets' than Elements, so it really depends on what you're looking for. Plus, the price has a lot to do with it for most people--Photoshop is much more expensive than Elements.

HTH! If you have any specific questions about what each program can do, post them and I'm sure someone who has upgraded from Elements to Photoshop will be able to tell you what's there and what's not.

I have both...

My husband gave me iRemember with my new computer. It is okay. If you are going to be doing very basic pages it will do the job. It does not work with layers though and you can't use burshes.

I like photoshop elements so much better!! You can use brushes and there are textures to make your own paper. PSE is the one I would suggest. I think that initially, it is harder to learn, but well worth it! And all of the people here are great to help. I cannot tell you how many questions I have had answered here.

Hope this helps!
~Kelly

Ok, that answers that question regarding the Photoshops. Now, without spending tons or money, what can't you live without regarding items that go with Photoshop?

Will I need to purchase any other CD's of any sort to get me up and runnning? I've been looking on the 'net for freebie downloads, but haven't had a whole lot of luck. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction. I guess I'd like to know what items are the "must haves" in your opinions!

Thanks again!

Guest sfcgijill
Get yourself a Wacom tablet- it comes with Photoshop Elements, so you get a cool tool and your software too! It takes a little getting used to the whole writing with a pen while looking at the screen thing, but most folks get it within a couple minutes.

Good luck!

Archived