Help With Negatives Please!

Guest Patty

I have baby pictures of my two older children taken on a 110 camera (anyone remember these!!) I had moved many times and had to split the photos with the ex-husband so most of the photos just seem to have disappeared however, I have ALL the negatives from that time so long ago in the early eighties. I have a scanner that will scan 35mm film but not the smaller stuff. Does anyone know if I have any hope of recovering these pictures!

I hope someone can help me , I have all my baby photos for my two littlest ones but the older now adult kids feel so left out when they look through the family albums and they only go back to when we all got married to " daddy" It's like their life began at age 4 and 6.
My oldest is now engaged and I would love to make an album for them with his childhood represented, including those first six years.
Patty

Guest dawnsmemories
there are several photo restoration places online that could probably help. You may want to look at a local camera/photo store, they may have insight also.
Good luck!
Dawn

PS - I will ask my Mom who she used to get some old photos restored tomorrow and post the results... they did an excellent job and seemed to offer a ton of services so they may be able to help.

Since you have the negatives, you could always get prints made and then scan those in. Maybe a local camera & photo print shop could also put them on disk for you when they make prints. Sorry, I don't have any specific help for you, but I'm sure someone is bound to come up with something! Sounds like a great album for your kids that they will really appreciate. :)

Is your scanner a flatbed with inserts for the negatives? I haven't done this yet, but I also would like to scan my 110 negatives for the same reason as you. I was thinking about trying to make a holder out of cardboard so that I could scan them the same as the 35mm negs are scanned. I have no idea if it would work or how long it would take to make a holder, though... :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Patty
[quote name='Susan Neff' post='101376' date='Feb 20 2007, 07:53 PM']Is your scanner a flatbed with inserts for the negatives? I haven't done this yet, but I also would like to scan my 110 negatives for the same reason as you. I was thinking about trying to make a holder out of cardboard so that I could scan them the same as the 35mm negs are scanned. I have no idea if it would work or how long it would take to make a holder, though... :([/quote]

YES! My scanner has the insert for the 35 mm film from my old camera. I have saved ALL of my negatives from when I started taking pictures of my first set of kids back in the eighties!
My two little ones now only know about digital cameras!

How do you think you could make a holder?

Like I said, I haven't actually done this, so I have no idea if it would work...

I was thinking of trying with poster board. I'd cut out an opening the size of the negative. This would be the tricky part, because it would have to be just a little bit smaller than the negative, but big enough so that the actual images would show through the opening. Then I'd cut another piece of poster board the same way, so that the negative would be sandwiched between the two layers of poster board. Does that make sense? I think the key is to keep the film off the glass, keep it flat, and allow light to pass through it. It might take a couple tries and maybe a couple thicknesses of poser board to make work...

If you try this, please let me know! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Some scanners will scan these negatives. Mine doesn't but I have a friend whose does. It's an Epson. It's only new and she's still learning it but I'm going over to scan in some very old negatives from a Box Brownie. And that is old!

Call around, there aren't too many photo places athat will work with 110 film. We have 1 in our area, and it is about a 20 minute drive. I would also recommend getting prints and scanning them since those negatives are so tiny.
My husband made a thing for me to scan my parents' old childhood negatives (I have tons of them.) They are about 2"X3." Our HP flatbed scanner has a negative attachment that may be different than the newer ones. I use a Nikon scanner for my slides and 35mm. He used black plastic report covers to make a holder that fit in the hole that holds multiple slides, then cut out a hole the size of the negatives. It works very well.
My Nikon negative scanner can also do the old square ones since they are about the same width as a 35mm. I just do them in the holder for cut or damaged negatives.
All this talk about scanning negatives makes me want to go catch up.

I just did a quick search and found this site: [url="http://www.britepix.com/?gclid=CO370uvLi4sCFRckhgodbWoqFQ"]BritePix[/url] The price doesn't seem to bad.

I don't know how wide 110 film negatives are, but some scanners come with holders for different size negatives. In fact, there are scanners that just do negatives. I know one company is Plustek.

Patty-

You might look into Nikon's Super Coolscan series of film and slide scanners. I have the Coolscan 5000 which doesn't do 110 film, but I think the Coolscan 9000ED does.

I bought my 5000 model used off of Craig's List from someone who was scanning in their old family slides and then sold it to me when they were done with their project. When I'm done with my family slides and my step-children's film from their childhood, then I will probably sell it as well. That way it's more affordable to all of us home users...since having a photo place scan so many years of film and slides can become quite expensive as well.

Good luck with your project!

Most camera stores don't process 100 in house anymore but some will send it out for processing. Your best bet would be to have prints made and then scanning those. You can try making your own holder but I would be worried about scratching the negatives.

Archived