Setting Preferences In Pse5?

Mindy

When I go to open my scrapping goodies in PSE5, when I go to File < Open, only the file names come up (it's set at "List"). How do I change the preferred setting to "Thumbnails" so that I can SEE the items, instead of just their names? Or, do I have to switch the view to thumbnails every time I open up the files (which would be somewhat inconvenient!). Or, is there an easier way (that I'm missing!) to see all of items? :banghead:

:blondmoment:

Hmmm....What operating system are you using?

I'm in XP and when I go to open and the box comes up I go to the upper right corner where there is a little box icon with little coloured squares in it and a little arrow to the right of it.

Click on the little arrow and your view options will come up then choose thumbnail.

I'm on XP. Yep, that's the same box that I get & I can change it to thumbnails. However, it doesn't stay that way - I have to change it to thumbnails each time I open up the files, which is multiple times while doing a LO. Just trying to figure out how to make it stay set to thumbnails (even if it stayed for that scrapping session would help!) instead of changing it each time. Don't know if I explained that very well!

I think you need to go into file explorer rather than the "Open" box. Go through My Computer to the folders with your scrapbooking items. Then in each folder, you'll need to go to View>Thumbnails. I think that should get it to do what you need on a permanent basis.

I think you need to go into file explorer rather than the "Open" box. Go through My Computer to the folders with your scrapbooking items. Then in each folder, you'll need to go to View>Thumbnails. I think that should get it to do what you need on a permanent basis.

I tried that and it didn't work for me, guess I'll have to go thru the tutorial. :blink:

Guest siraacsa

Hi Mindy, I know what you mean, mine does that all the time too and I find it very frustrating, also it doesn't open at the last place you had open either which annoys me as well as it means I have to click through a million folders to get back where I want each time.

Thats why I now use acdsee to view my files, I can also get bigger sized thumbnails which I like.

I tried checking all of the folders through the file explorer and they already are all set to "thumbnails" - drats, thought that would be an easy solution! Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm determined to figure this out yet!!!

I did some more research and came up with this page http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/arti...qNum=3&rl=1 It seems to indicate that you need to go into your Photoshop or PSE preferences, and under File Saving, set Image Previews to Always Save. I'm not sure if that will do what you need, but I noticed that is what mine was set at and my Open dialog always shows my pictures as thumbnails without my having to change the view. Hopefully that will help. If not, back to the research I go! ;)

Ana, what that setting will do is allow Adobe to save the thumbnail for your image automatically with your file. You see, the thumbnails you see have to be saved as separate little bits of information in your main file, otherwise you won't see a thumbnail for that image, even if your View is set to Thumbnails. So, it's good to have that turned on to "Always Save."

However, for the problem where the thumbnails keep reverting back... that has to do with the Windows operating system itself. Windows, in its infinite wisdom, decided that it only needed to remember the Folder Preferences (including viewing preferences) for something like a measly 400 folders. As most digi scrappers know, that's not very many folders. Once you have opened your 401st folder, Windows won't remember your Viewing Preference anymore, and will revert back to whatever it chooses whenever you open that folder.

There is a fix where you can override this folder number limit. Let me see if I can find the tutorial...

Nope. But, there is a free tool called TweakUI that supposedly will allow you to up the number of folders that Windows will remember. I haven't tried it, so I can't say yes or no to this one.

Archived