Newby Photoshop Workspace Question

scraphappymommy

Hi All:

I have been digi scrapping for about a year, (primarily with Scrap Girls products :winking_baby: ). Although I own Photoshop CS2 and Photoshop Elements, I got started with Scrapbook Factory Deluxe because right out of the box I could get to scrappin' while I tried to learn photoshop.

Here's my question: My background is primarily in desktop publishing rather than design. So I'm used to having a page I'm working on and all my goodies I've imported all around the workspace, in the grey area. Then I assemble kind of like a puzzle, while changing my mind a LOT. With photoshop, I can't seem to figure out how to do this or even what question to ask in the help menus. When I copy a picture, background or element and try to put it to the side in the grey area around the page in photoshop or elements, it disappears.

So, is this a limitation of the software, or is there some setting/preference I can change?

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

scraphappymommy :thanks:

I'm also a newbie to PSE and here's how I deal with that dilemma of indecision:

I don't think that there is anyway to keep elements in the gray area around your page. What I do when I can't decide between a couple of elements is put them each on the page as individual layers and make those layers invisible by clicking on the eye next to that layer in the layers pallette. Then when I want to see them, I make them visible again and decide which one I like better.

I started digi scrapping with Memory Mixer, and although the transition to PSE wasn't an easy one, I definately love the added freedom and creative controll once I got used to how it worked...and I am definately still learning!

Scraphappy, you can't have things sitting like you mean on the grey area. What you can do is have the files open around your working document so that you can see them.

It sounds like you work like me. I open up all the possibilities in PS, and then play. In order to see all of those files, tho, I usually zoom out on them a bit (Ctrl -) so that the windows they occupy are smaller. Then when I'm ready to use them, I drag and drop them into my working doc.

Hope this helps! :)

Guest siraacsa

I keep my photobin open and bring them up from there when I need them. I don't have a big enough screen to fit them all around.

Guest DarleneH

Also, in PSE5, you can drag-and-drop selections/images from the photo bin into your working document. This is a new function in version 5. The photo bin actually works very well, because you can have LOTS of open stuff available without cluttering your workspace.

ITA with pp. I think having each file open and around your workspace will allow you to see what you need to see. you may have to make your LO a bit smaller while you are looking around. or each of the files of elements smaller to get several things on your screen. but that should be a good work around for you that allows you to work how you have always works.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Another option to tack onto what Jan said, is that if you have all of the files open at the same time, you can hit F10 on your keyboard and that will configure all of your open documents across your screen. Now I do work on a Mac, so it may be different for a PC.

I attached a couple of screen shots so you can see what I mean.

HTH

Trish

Archived