Cleaning of Foam Stamps

Guest bobnbear

Guest bobnbear
How many of you have been using the foam stamps that have come out? I have gone crazy buying them, they are so easy to use and so versatile! I found that the easiest way to clean them up is to just rinse them under the warm water using just your fingers to get the paint off and then letting them airdry on a paper towel. They really dry fast!

Guest JenniaHart
I agree... water, water and more water!! If there is paint stuck down in a crevice sometimes I will gently use my dish brush on them to get the paint out.

Guest scrappingdiva
Since I have twin one year old girls I have an abundance of baby wipes..so I have been using them to clean of the faom stamps while I'm working. When I'm done and ready to clean up I take the semi-clean stamps into the bathroom and use water and a little bit of soap.

Yep, I just run them under water. I keep a special, old toothbrush in my supplies to clean off my stamps, if there is paint stuck in the crevasses.

I have been going to the foam stamp section of Michael's and buying foam stamps from there as well. They have A LOT of cool designs which are very cheap! I'm really getting into the foam stamps.

Here's another foam stamp question for you: How do you apply the paint to the foam? Do you dip it into a pool of paint, like you apply ink to a rubber stamp? Or do you paint the paint onto the foam stamp? I have found that brushing it on to the stamp gives me a better, cleaner look, than dipping it into a pool.

Guest JenniaHart
I use a paint brush or a cheap foam brush to apply the paint to the foam stamp usually. However, in the last day or two I saw a layout where the paint had been applied sort of thick with the foam stamps- they were probably dipped vs. having the paint applied- the added texture and imperfection really added to that particular layout.

As with so much in scrapbooking, I think this call is one that becomes easier with lots of practice, work or playing- whatever *you* choose to call it!! I never would ahve thought of just dipping the stamps until I saw that cool layout but now I've got that piece of information stored away for future reference!!

I have always used water to rinse the paint off my foam stamps, but someone just told me that MM says not to use water because, over time, the white part or letter will pull away from the black part! I don't know if this is really true, but I sure wouldn't want it to happen. One woman had what I thought was a great idea, she wets down one of those rectangular paint pads that you can use to trim where a wall and ceiling meet. Then she rubs the stamp over that. It keeps the water away from the glue holding the two pieces of the stamp together and the little fuzzy things help to swipe the paint off in the spaces. I bought one of the pads at Lowe's for about $3, but I haven't tried it out yet. Anybody else have any ideas?

Karla

• 4 months later...
Guest lizzy66
I can't get enough of the foam stamps either, unfortunately there aren't many available yet over here in New Zealand, only the Making Memories which I adore. I've been washing them under the tap also, but I find if you work quick enough they clean up really well with a really moist rag. I wash my rubber stamps which is really naughty as the rubber apparently drys out and cracks eventually but I just can't bear my expensive stamps not looking new anymore!.....lol (one habit I think I will have to change!) :(

• 1 month later...
Guest sugarstamp
Lizzy
You are so cute. when I started stamping (over 10 years ago) I felt the same way about my stamps. Now I have literally hundreds of them and have developed the attitude that they are "tools" and don't worry about stained wood. I do clean them after every use, however. I like to use baby wipes, and sometimes, depending on the kind of ink I have used, I will use a rubber stamp cleaner and one of the fuzzy pads to rub them across and then blot them on paper towels. I have a recipe somewhere for making your own baby wipes and if I find it I will post it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bobnbear
I was the same way when I first got mine!! I still love using them all of the time! Have you seen that MM is now coming out with quite a few more new alphabet sets and designs as well?? The are so cool!

• 3 months later...
After being so frustrated because I didn't rinse the ink off of a stamp my son made while he could still easily use his hands, I was in tears. I called my dg and when she asked why I was crying, I told her why, and she then told me to try putting the stamp in vinegar and letting it sit for a while. After letting it sit in the vinegar for a while, she said to then take and wipe it off with a paper towel, I was so happy to see that the next time I used that same stamp, the ink from before that didn't get rinsed off didn't get on my page again. That one little stamp my ds made for me, is a true treasure for me. I have since duplicated his design and put the one he made for me away. Just because I want so much to always have it. I hope this helps some of you.

• 1 month later...
Guest TamiW
I have a toothbrush just for this occasion. If I have a stubborn spot I use a little dawn dishwashing liquid and it works everytime.

Guest abbier626
I just got my first set of foam stamps. I just got a cheap set from w*almart so I could try them out to see if I liked them. And, I LOVE them. I can't wait to get another set, and I really want the MM floral design set. The best part is you can buy the little bottles of paint for very cheap so you can get lots of colors :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest roxanna
I just got a nice stamp set from Michaels for Christmas... hubby got it for me.. I had no idea that he was gonna do it either... I did mention it several times... anyways, I was wondering how you clean the stamps... they arent the foam stamps... they are the rubber ones.... ??? :)

Rubber stamps are easy to clean, if you're using regular dye inks or pigment inks. The easiest way is to keep a tub of baby wipes at your work table, and just clean them off with those when you're done. Or, take them to the sink,and clean them off with water. If the stamps are especially detailed, with lots of nooks and crannies, keep an old toothbrush handy to scrub at all those nooks and crannies.

If you happen to use solvent ink to stamp with, such as Stayz On, you'll need to use a special solvent ink stamp cleaner. You can get this at any stamp or craft store. Michael's may carry it too. But you'll want to clean your stamps right after stamping with this, or the stamp will be stained. Not that that's a big problem. And alot of people don't clean their stamps at all. I'm a little more fastidious than most, I guess, so I try to keep them clean....

HTH! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Archived