Antique Find - Cigarette Cards

Shai

Hello Ladies!

I found something I had never heard of while browsing through so many goodies, cigarette cards. Hubby told me that they were like baseball cards or those Joe Bazooka cartoon collections. I bought 8 different collections for 5 pounds (10 US currency)! They are a little over 2.5" (wide) x just under 1.5" (height) with a picture on oneside and description on the other. They are really neat! I have movie stars, flowers, naval, the Queen Mum and others. My son loves the transportation series, while hub loves the train series. I plan on making his into a framed and matted hanging for his office. HE LOVES steam engines! He's been volunteering at a local train museum where he assists in restoration. And he doesnt know how to really do much with tools. He's my bookworm <G>

Anyway, I want to scanthese for my collages, scrappings etc. Circa 1930s from cigarette companies no long in biz. Help? LoL I'd like to use them to make a LO kit in the near future; even if it's just for free, doesn't matter to me. Think they would be a blast! Now to get a flatbed scanner!

Any ideas? Thanks!!
Shai

PS: I know the copy right laws for pics before a certain 1800s year etc. But what if the company is out of biz? :huh:

Guest schmi
I dont know the copyright laws, but I would think that if you are just copying them for personal use it would not be such a big deal.

Oooh, very cool find! You are fine on the copyright...no problem there. As for what to do with them -- well, whatever your heart desires! You could make a cool kit, collage sheets (where they are simply scanned in and arranged to be printed out by whoever downloads them), and more. Make sure you scan them in at a high rez...

[quote name='scrapdiva73' date='Mar 22 2005, 03:04 PM']Oooh, very cool find!  You are fine on the copyright...no problem there.  As for what to do with them -- well, whatever your heart desires!  You could make a cool kit, collage sheets (where they are simply scanned in and arranged to be printed out by whoever downloads them), and more.  Make sure you scan them in at a high rez...
[right][post="6764"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Schmi and Brandie -
Oh now that's gonna get me goin' with these! LoL I bought them to scan for digi and all. hehe Should have seen the antique beads! Too rich for my blood, this fair. lol However Hubby found 3 pence coins from 1918! A few had holes drilled into them. I snapped those right up! LoL Especially when I paid 5 pounds for a wardrobe with beveled mirror in the Diss Auction!

Oh another pro for staying here, thanks! I get to go to make fairs and auctions! Carboot sales are a blast, too! I just haven't been out since you have to wake at 6 am! *Oey*

I'll scan some of these in to show you. I must borrow or buy a flatbed scanner.

Guest Alley
[quote name='Shai' date='Mar 22 2005, 10:12 AM']I'll scan some of these in to show you.  I must borrow or buy a flatbed scanner.
[right][post="6765"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

oooh, I can't wait to see them (and what you make with them!) I imagine they would be perfect. I don't understand all the copy right rules myself... so I've tend to steer clear of things if I don't know. Something like this though would be so great though!

~Alley =o)

[quote name='Alley' date='Mar 23 2005, 01:37 AM'][quote name='Shai' date='Mar 22 2005, 10:12 AM']I'll scan some of these in to show you.  I must borrow or buy a flatbed scanner.
[right][post="6765"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

oooh, I can't wait to see them (and what you make with them!) I imagine they would be perfect. I don't understand all the copy right rules myself... so I've tend to steer clear of things if I don't know. Something like this though would be so great though!

~Alley =o)
[right][post="6784"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

I can't wait either! LoL There's a part of me that doesn't wanna touch 'em. And the evil creative side of me that would do anything with anything that's dyin' to get started ROFL

Shai

Don't say anything to hubby ... new flatbed scanner shall be mine! Oh yes, it SHALL be mine! (Yes, that was a reference to Wayne's World while he's looking through the glass at his dream guitar LoL Yes, I need more girl friends LoL)

Shai

Ok, I, finally, have some time to take some digi pics of the cards. The flatbed scanner that I want isn't at the base BX. lol When I buy big items, I want them NOW NOW NOW LoL I can wait for clothing ... not shoes ... can wait for presents and food ... but just not that patient lol

Shai

Hiya!

I promised you a peek at some of the cig cards we found. In other words, I done did got my flatbed scanner!! <grin>

These are trains that I bought for a Hubby project. I want to have these (and there are many more than the ones scanned)framed and matted. Anyone like matting? I don't! LoL

Hope you like ... I have several different topics. If you want me to scan more, let me know, ok?

Shai

[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1098"]http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...cmd=si&img=1098[/url]

Ok, I'll write it on my To Do list for this week! With Mike being gone, it's really quiet ... I have a feeling lots of LOs will be finished with him gone. The kids are doing projects and writing letters, too. Spring Break starts Friday ... I'm offering all my digital/paperscrapping 'stuff' to see them make their own LOs using PowerPoint. That's on their computer upstairs and a class they both have taken this year in school. They amaze me! We'll see what they come up with :)

Shai

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='ScrappingForever' date='Apr 7 2005, 10:49 PM']Shai! How cool! You'll have to upload your kids' creations, too! Can't wait to see what they come up with!
[right][post="7401"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Jan - I have the flower cards scanned :) I am sending off to you in email. (I hope) lol There are two files I will be sending to you :)

Shai

Guest DeeZee
These are extremely cool -- what a great vintage find and perfect to embellish those pages. I'll have to keep my eye out for these!

Isn't it funny how you see the world differently? As in, "how could I use *that* in my layout?"

I knew it was bad the other day when I was looking at shirt colors and creating palettes from them in my mind ;-)

Archived