License Plate Confusion

There are 2 separate license plate kits:

ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates: License Plate-3D Biggie - this one is the embossed version

ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates: License Plate Biggie - this one is the flat, unembossed version.

There are also 4 styles: Embossed, Embossed Brights, Embossed Pastels, and Rusted.

Is it my understanding that the styles are only usable with the License Plate Biggie set, and not the Plate-3D Biggie set?

Does the second license plate set (flat one) allow more customization?

I'm so confused when I see stuff like this, cause I'm never sure why you would buy one over the other. Could someone please explain the benefit of one set over another, please?

Thanks.

Aren't these just the cutest! In talking to Amanda, I think the flat one is supposed to work with the styles to get a very custom look whatever you want it to look like. I think the 3-D one is specifically for those that don't want to mess with the styles or don't have that capbility in their program. I just sent a e-mail to Amanda though and we will ask her for sure.

:)

Hi Terri

I'm sorry it was confusing, I'll try to clear that up in the boutique product listing.

In the meantime-

you're correct the flat one allows for more customization, and you can use them with the 4 different styles (or use and create your own)

the embossed styles are for all the parts and pieces, they will add different levels of embossing (large raised for the letters, slightly raised and beveled for the base plate and the stickers, raised embossing style for the screws, and a style for the screw inset) this style set will help you achieve a dimensional look for your plate.

and the rusted styles create rusted, crackled and blistered patterned style in addtion to the embossing levels of the basic embossing style

the embossed brights will add a bright colored raised embossing to the letters (or you could use it for the base plate as well)

the embossed pastels will add a pastel colored raised embossing to the letters (or you could use it for the base plate as well)

the 3-D version is pre-styled, pre-embossed, you just layer the parts-n-pieces and color it.

Both sets of license plates include an instructional tutorial. I hope this helps, I'll check back in a bit and see if you have any more questions. Thanks for posting, I appreciate the interest and I hope to clear up the confusion. :)

Thanks Thao! :)

And you're welcome Terri. This was one of those things that I thought might be confusing, and it's always good to know if I didn't give enough of the correct information. I've fixed the boutique pages and they have links to the various license plate products available, I hope that helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a newbie both here and to digital scrapbooking. I want to order one of these license plate kits, but am wondering which would work best with PSP. It sounds like the dimensional add-ons are made for Photoshop, so I'm wondering if with the flattened kit and PSP can I go back and add drop shadows? I'm guessing since it is flattened that I cannot, but I'm not sure. If that is the case, am I correct in assuming that I would want the dimensional license plate kit?

While the styles will not work in PSP you can certianly add your own with the bevel and shadow settings in PSP. I am playing with these now and can give you more details if you need them. Post questions here or send me a PM.

While the styles will not work in PSP you can certianly add your own with the bevel and shadow settings in PSP. I am playing with these now and can give you more details if you need them. Post questions here or send me a PM.

That's kind of what I was thinking - that I could make it look 3D with PSP, but wasn't sure since it stated that it was flattened if it could still be done. Which kit would give me the most versatility? Is it difficult to use the bevel and shadow? I do know how to make drop shadows.

Thanks for your help.

Some suggested bevel settings for License Plate Templates

Here is what mine looks like with these settings but you can change them to what you like. I did these to give you a place to start.

Inner bevel is found in Effects>3D effects>Inner bevel

Base layer

Bevel #6

Width 13

Smoothness 32

Depth 26

Ambience 0

Shininess 0

Color White

Angle 315

Intensity 50

Elevation 30

Bevel Layer

Bevel #1

Width 6

Smoothness 32

Depth 6

Ambience 0

Shininess 0

Color White

Angle 315

Intensity 50

Elevation 30

Sticker Layer

Bevel #2

Width 2

Smoothness 32

Depth 2

Ambience 0

Shininess 0

Color White

Angle 315

Intensity 50

Elevation 30

Screw Base

Bevel #2

Width 9

Smoothness 32

Depth 9

Ambience 0

Shininess 67

Color White

Angle 315

Intensity 50

Elevation 30

Phillips Head

Cutout is found in Effects>3D effects>cutout

Offset V=1, H=1

Shadow Color Black, fill with interior color checked, color 1st gray

Opacity 82, Blur 2

Very cute set Amanda. Thanks for the clarification. And Dee, thanks for the extra tips. Great question - I don't think to write a question when I'm trying to choose between items and it is such a great resource.

Archived