Making Cards

MovieStar

So I want to start making more cards. How do you gals do it? Do you buy the paper and envelopes and then just print them at home? I have done some before with Avery brand stuff. If you don’t use that, what do you use to print the cards on and make/buy envelopes? I also want to know if you do them all digi or do you get your hands a little dirty and add some extras to them after you print?

Hi, Elizabeth. I've also been trying to make some cards lately so I'll be interested to hear what people have to say, too.

I've loved using Mandy's 5" Square Card Template. That seems to be the size I buy most often at stores so I was attracted to that template. What I usually do is create a regular square layout then size it down to fit the front of the card. I like to customize the inside of the envelope to match the card, which you can easily do with that template.

The other thing I've been doing lately is using Staples' store brand notecards that come with their own envelopes. The paper is 8.5x11" matte, perforated in the middle to create two 5.5 x 4.25" cards (the fold is pre-scored, too). Again, I usually design a 5.5x4.25" file and then just copy it twice into the 8.5x11" file to make 2 cards at once. Easy and relatively fast! All of mine have been 100% digital so far but I think they'd look better if they were hybrid. I picked up some tags and self-adhesive ribbon (who knew?) today at Walmart for that very purpose so hopefully I'll have some cute stuff to show off soon.

Good luck with yours. :)

My cards are 100% Digi. I Print on Bright white Staples cardstock. I usually do cards at 4.25x.5.5. I buy invitation size envelopes that I also get at Staples.

I make cards both ways, but mostly I love to stamp, so I make them by hand. If I am making invitations or announcements, then I will print the inside verbiage and possibly add stamping with what has been printed. I love playing with the different inks, embossing power, ribbons and paper. This is what I do for fun to unwind after the kids have gone to bed. :)

Trish

Guest Mandiannie

I use to make all my card digitally (long before I discovered digital scrapping) but found that I was paying more for ink to print them then they were worth. I've totally converted to hand-making them and I love it (Especially the ones that turn out:P) I love trying new techniques though I do cheat and buy pre-made stuff from the dollar store.

I love my fiskars scrapboss to make dry embossed cards. I generally like to get supplies that I can use over and over again. I recently also invested in stamps and I love using them. I have ones like thank-you, wishing you joy, birthday wishes, thinking of you, just for you and the likes. The only thing I don't have is a nicely organized space to make them in. I do have the space, it's just not organized :)

I'm a hybrid cardmaker myself. Lately I've been designing the front and the inside digitally. Then I print them out and glue them to cardstock. Like Melanie, I also like Mandy's 5" square template, and I use it to make my envelopes, too! For the inside, I will usually trim what I printed using some decorative scissors before I glue it to the inside. Sometimes I add some rubber stamping to the front and/or inside and sometimes I also add other embellies. The sky is the limit!!

Here are some samples of my latest:

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...i&img=17792

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...i&img=17791

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...i&img=17788

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...i&img=17787

Valerie has horizontal and vertical card templates that both include envelopes. I forgot to mention hers in my original post but I started out using them first.

I didn't think to take a photo of the card when it was finished, but here's one I did for a friend's birthday (she's a big Bono fan) using Valerie's horizontal template. The inside said "Hope it was happy."

And this was the inside of the envelope (lyrics from a U2 song):

I'm a hybrid cardmaker too. I usually use card blanks that come with their own envelopes and create a little card sizes scrapbook page digitally. Then I print a couple of the elements seperately and mount them on top with foam tape to give a more 3D effect. I'll often use some silk flowers, ribbon, brads or charms to add some extra dimension.

Heck I never even thought of digi cards. I make cards but I usually buy card and envelope packs and take it from there. Have been to a few card making classes and really enjoyed these and got plenty of wonderful ideas. Perhaps you could try a class then go home and try to scraplift it into digital.

There's some great ideas here! I'm going to try to make some cards digitally this weekend. If you print out the envelopes too, what do you print it on? Cardstock? Regular printer paper?? Something else?

Another question, I just bought some Avery cardstock and envelopes. Will it look bad if I print right on the cardstock? Do I need to print on photo paper and then attach it to my cardstock? I'm hoping to make Easter cards for family.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas. It appears that the card templates have all of the cutting and folding lines that print with the card? from what on saw on the Us/Bono card example. That card was awesome.

That is very cool. Can the premade cards (scored also) that are say 4 X 6 used in your printer, or are they to hard to line up?

How does everyone print? Do you save your file as a JPEG, and then which program do you use to print, don't some have better printing options? I'm a newbie, so excuse my ignorance.

I'm just trying to learn by reading and listening to what everyone has to say.

Thanks for the help.

Marty

Guest sfcgijill
I'm a hybrid cardmaker myself. Lately I've been designing the front and the inside digitally. Then I print them out and glue them to cardstock. Like Melanie, I also like Mandy's 5" square template, and I use it to make my envelopes, too! For the inside, I will usually trim what I printed using some decorative scissors before I glue it to the inside. Sometimes I add some rubber stamping to the front and/or inside and sometimes I also add other embellies. The sky is the limit!!

Here are some samples of my latest:

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...i&img=17792

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...i&img=17791

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...i&img=17788

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...i&img=17787

Love these! that's pretty much what I do- design, print out, then embellish with a little whatnot and send it off!

• 2 weeks later...

i make all of my cards by hand (so to speak). i will sometimes print a quote or something. i'm working on my calligraphy now, so that's not happening as much as it used to. my basic card template is from cardstock where i cut a 5.5" x 8.5" rectangle. and i am now wondering if that's what size the template is that some ppl have mentioned....lol. then, like 90% of my cards have a contrasting or complementary colored stock that is 4" x 4.75" on top. i'll do all of my work on top of that. so, like, i'll fold my rectangle in half length-wise (bone folders rock!), put the smaller rectangle on top of that and then do whatever on top of that! lol

When I did it, I traced around the outside of the envelope with the flap up cut it out just a tiny bit smaller and trim away about 1/4- 3/8" from the edge of the flap to expose the glue. It should tuck right in to your envelope. Usually you only need to glue it on the edge of the flap. You could also make a template of the shape clip your paper to it and only print on the area of the paper you are using. Hope that made sense. :)

Archived