How To Be A Good Wife

DDecker

LOL Hmm 1955? I always said it would be cool to have grown up in the 50's but no I don't think so if that was the mentality! And the one about if he stayed out all night, well, the locks would be changed before he got home! LOL Maybe I should wend this to DH for the nights I come home from work!!!

DH came over to have a peek at what I was laughing at. His comment: "Yeah Buddy, they sure never met you." We both think this is pretty hilarious. Seriously tho, my mom really lived like this. Scary huh?

Ha! Not gonna happen at this house! I wonder if the husbands in that era could handle being at home with small children all day long, and still think their jobs were more stressful......

Guest Mandiannie

That sound too much like a martha stuart Catalog to me! I can't do that! Good thing it's from 1955 otherwise I'd feel a little guilty :P

Guest sfcgijill

Snarf!

that was me, blowing my Pepsi out my nose....

and here's to that author blowing it out their butt!!!!!

Snarf!

Guest siraacsa

The divorce rate was lower because women did not value themselves enough to get out of a bad relationship if they were in one. Being subserviant to your husband does not guarantee his devotion. A marriage is a partnership in which both members contribute, not an opportunity for a man to be waited on hand and foot.

There, I feel better now. I was too outraged to laugh before.

That is a guy's dream world. Not going to happen here. Taking care of the house and kids, yeah. But waiting on him hand and foot and not questioning him? I don't think so. Staying out all night or going to "other places of entertainment", spells trouble in my book.

I'll agree that marriage is a partnership, and both are equal in it. Being submissive doesn't mean being a slave or less valued.

Guest Debbyo

If it wasn't how women were expected to be in those days it would be funnier. I had a very progressive Mother and she still did a lot of those things in the 50's -but then she divorced him in the 60's -with my blessing. I don't think men have ever gotten over us burning our bras in the 60's -anyone else here old enuff to remember? LOL

okay, the last point was clearly over the edge. But -- and don't get me wrong here. I certainly don't live like that list and don't know anyone that does. But the underlying tone I heard is really of respect. Just respect your husband. Now, he should be respectful back, which I didn't necessarily hear from the article. In fact I heard "he can be as crappy as he wants toward you, and you should still smile and kiss him".

But I do respect my husband.. and if there are things I can do to make his life happier/easier, I usually want to do them because I WANT to and LOVE him. not out of duty. and he does the same in return.

but it's funny to see what was "expected" from women 50 years ago, eh? yeesh! I don't know what I would have done having those expectations of me!

Archived