Changing The Colour Of An Item Of Clothing

Guest mcfrog

Guest mcfrog
Hi,

I'm using Photoshop 7.0 and desperately need help in learning how to change the colour of an item of clothing. I have a photo of my best friend's baby (the only one before she died) and she is wearing a blue knitted hat.

In conversation today, my friend told me that how she was so irritated that the hat was blue, she didn;t care what other colour it was - just not blue! Condidering what she has been through, the least I can do is change the hat colour in this precious photo.

So, I need help - in VERY easy steps so I can learn how to do this.

Anyone out there willing to hold my hand?

Thanks,

Karen

Hi Karen,

This is what I would do:

1. Make a duplicate of the photo
2. Drag it over on top of a new document that has a transparent background.
3. Use the Marquee tool to isolate the hat by selecting an area of the photo and then hit delete. Do this with combinations of the rectangle (to get the larger areas first) and then the circle/oval shape (which will let you get up close to it without ruining it.). It wont' take long until all you have is the hat.
4. You can then use the color changing tools up in the edit your image section to get it to be a different color.
5. Once you get the hat to get the right color, slide it back over on top of your photo.

There are different ways to cut out that hat, I realize, but after spending WAY too much time monkeying around with them, I finally came up with this process and it is pretty fast. Just start out by deleting as much as you can with the rectangle and then you just edge around the area with the circle/oval until it is clean. Putting it on top of a transparent shape allows you really get rid of everything else. If you don't, you'll have a white background and you won't be further ahead.

Hope that makes sense.

Hello Karen,
I'd also be glad to help you with changing the hat color. I have paintshop pro 9 as well as photo shop. I'm not too keen on photoshop, but would be more than happy to help you change the color of the hat. If you have paintshop pro it is quite simple. If not, I know this may not be something you would want to do, but if you would like I could change the color of the hat in paintshop for you. If you have paintshop, I would also be willing to hold your hand via yahoo instant messenger if you would like. I'm messing around right now in photoshop, trying to keep track of each step in more simple steps. I'll write them down and post them here as soon as I get them typed out. If you'd prefer for me to just do it for you that would be fine too. I know how irritating it can be to have a single photo of a baby girl, with a blue hat on. My brother's twins were premature and both are now angels, and because of the hospital not paying attention to which baby was a boy and which was a girl when putting on their little hats, the baby boy had a pink hat and the baby girl had a blue hat. I know how your friend must feel so I'm willing to help in any way needed.

Guest mcfrog
I have checked and I also have Paintshop Pro 7 (together with my Photoshop 7).

So whatever way would be easier, I'm game.

I showed my girlfriend the first page I have made for her baby's memorial book yesterday(the one I asked questions about fading photo edges for). She looked at it for what seemed like forever before looking at me and bursting into tears. I felt this huge mix of emotions - was it so awful she regretted asking me, or was it what she hoped for??

Thank goodness she was eventually able to say just how much it touched her and that she was overwhelmed. This project will be such a healing process for us both, when your best friend's baby dies the grief is almost as deep as if it was your own.

Expect loads more questions from me because I have only a few photos of the baby and they all need work in different ways.

Thanks for all the kindness, help and support I've been shown here so far - you girls are the best!!

Karen

Guest darksunmoon
In PSP
Use the Lasso or the magic wand tool to select the hat and then colorize...
THAT is the easiest way around that one... LOL

Guest mcfrog
Did it with the lasso and then went in really close to change individual pixels - love the finished effect, you are all so sweet for helping me!

Karen

Archived