It Could Have Been Worse!

NS_Scrapper

Using several different tools, it looks like we have recovered about 75-80% of the almost 3 months of pictures and layouts that I lost last night. And by 'we', I mean mainly dh; my role this time was mainly fretting, pacing and wringing my hands. I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say that I was doing my regular quarterly 'burn and purge' (transferring organized files to DVD). They are usually in two places until I do that but last nights was one of those times when I had a domino effect of everything that could go wrong -- a perfect storm of digital content loss. I ran my first recovery program last night and didn't get anything that could be saved. We worked on it for two hours from our two different systems. I installed a different package direclty on my system and we left it working when we called it a day at 2:30 this morning. Needless to say, I did not sleep. And when I woke this morning and saw that the scan had not recovered any of the pictures, I did not feel too positive. But then dh said he had one more thing to try and the system managed to find a good chunk of them. I still have to work through them all to see how many are actually useable but it is looking like at least most will be OK. There is sure to be those few 'perfect' shots that didn't make it but it is better than the alternative.

We have a regular system of backup and a process in place for clearing the system and still there are times when we have some loss - usually not this extreme. Just a reminder to have a system in place and back-up regularly. This has stressed me out but ... it could definitely have been worse.

Oh I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I know truly know the feeling. Last March I lost everything and couldn't retrieve anything. I'm glad that you got some of it back at least. I regularly back everything up. As the saying goes... "Once bitten, Twice shy".

I have a friend who had her hard drive crash. Her husband works for a computer company, and they hadn't done any backups of their files. I've known her for 13 years. Never? I couldn't believe it. Fortunately, when their drive crashed they knew someone who was a pro and could recover the pictures. He had to do it one file at a time.

Guest siraacsa

I wouldn't even know where to begin to try and recover files if they went missing. Hope you are able to work through it. Good luck.

Archived