What Are Your Favorite Helpful Hints?

Mindy

What are some of your favorite tips or shortcuts that you've learned that have made your digi scrapping life easier/faster/more productive, etc.? You know, those hints that you've learned that you say "aha, wish I would have figured that out long ago"!

Personally, I can think of quite a few (because I've learned SO much here!), but here's some of my favorites:

1) Using www.extractnow.com to unzip all of the goodies all at once - especially love it on club days!

2) Using brackets - [ or ] - to easily resize brushes quickly. Sure beats trying to guess a number to put in for the size!

3) Resizing pictures right away when I open them to put onto a LO - change the resolution to 300 pixels. Usually while I'm there, I also change the size to something close to what I might want on the LO so it's more manageable with less adjusting (i.e. 5x7 or 4x6 or whatever).

What are your tried & true tips?

- Having all my stuff organised. I use PSE Orangiser and it saves so much time.

- Having all my brushes organised is great now too.

- Shift + and Shift - to scroll thru the blending modes.

- Backing up.

- I have an info layer on all my layouts which lists the supplies I used and any special tips or messages about how I did the layout.

- a font manager

Wow that tip abt. the info layer is a great one, why didn't I think of that LOL I recently learned the ctrl G shortcut here, and I am crazy about that tip ! Before that used to select with magic wand, than go back to pattern paper and hit delete, now it is just ctrl G en ctrl E to merge and it's done .... And now I am trying to learn a lot more shortcuts, because they are soooo much easier LOL

One of my most favorite tips is actually about scanning in photo's. Be sure your scanner bed is cleaned frequently.

Another of my most favorite tips is for PSP. Ctrl & V to paste as a new image. Another is Ctrl & L to paste as a new layer. Very helpful shortcuts, ;).

One more tip I can give is to be sure to save an unflattened copy of your layout, this makes it so much easier to change something later on in case you decide you don't like how something looks or in case you found a typo.

Guest Mandiannie

I love the ctrl+shift+U command. It's to desaturate in photoshop which is something that I do often. I make a copy of my photo that's too bright and then desaturate the bottom one and lighten the top one to give it an instant "softened" effect.

Recently my Alt+Ctrl+G functionality went away in CS2 (don't ask me why but apparently it's a common problem) so Erica gave me a tip on another shortcut to do the same thing. First off, press and hold the Alt key. Then, in the Layers palette, move your mouse between the two layers that you want to create the clipping mask for. You'll see a double-circle sort of thing. When you do, click and PRESTO! You have your clipping mask. This is way faster than Alt+Ctrl+G ever was for me so I'm really not that sad that it doesn't work anymore. :) I use a PC so I'm not sure if those are the same keys you use on a Mac.

I'm not sure I understand how the [] helps you to adjust your brush size but I'm going to test it out now in CS2 and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the tips!

Guest Debbyo

I love the control-L shortcut to get to the levels. I've found adjusting (or at least checking out the levels) make my pics look a lot better.

Melanie - I use PSE 5, so I don't know if the brackets work in CS2 or not. In PSE5, all's you do is pick your brush and hover it over the page, then click (or hold down for faster results) either the "[" to make it smaller or the "]" to make it larger. HTH!

- Having all my stuff organised. I use PSE Orangiser and it saves so much time.

- Having all my brushes organised is great now too.

- Shift + and Shift - to scroll thru the blending modes.

- Backing up.

- I have an info layer on all my layouts which lists the supplies I used and any special tips or messages about how I did the layout.

- a font manager

Info layer question: Do you mean all you info on one layer instead of renaming each layer? If so how do you do that? TIA I use PSE3

Melanie - I use PSE 5, so I don't know if the brackets work in CS2 or not. In PSE5, all's you do is pick your brush and hover it over the page, then click (or hold down for faster results) either the "[" to make it smaller or the "]" to make it larger. HTH!

Yep, that works in CS2. Very handy to know. TFS!

I love the scrolling wheel on my mouse. Use it for everything from changing text sizes and leading sizes (the space inbetween lines of text) to scrolling through the blending modes and everything else.

I love the scrolling wheel on my mouse. Use it for everything from changing text sizes and leading sizes (the space inbetween lines of text) to scrolling through the blending modes and everything else.

Anna-

How do you use the wheel to change the leading size?

Thanks.

I'm curious about how you use it for all these too.

Guest siraacsa

One of my favourite little tricks is the use the Visability>Hide function which you can find in your Layer Styles menu (I use PSE5). In the example below I used the rectangle marque tool to create a block under my journaling, put a colour into it (doesn't matter what colour), added a bevel and then used the Visability>Hide function which gives you the cool raised effect. I also used it on the font as well using the same process.

This is a great thread.

Info layer question: Do you mean all you info on one layer instead of renaming each layer? If so how do you do that? TIA I use PSE3

I use PSE 4. My info layer is just another layer with a large text box on it. I type my info into, lock and then hide it. I list any pieces I have used, fonts etc. It's kind of like a journal of the page. I still rename my layers but only as a description of what they are.

One of my favourite little tricks is the use the Visability>Hide function which you can find in your Layer Styles menu (I use PSE5). In the example below I used the rectangle marque tool to create a block under my journaling, put a colour into it (doesn't matter what colour), added a bevel and then used the Visability>Hide function which gives you the cool raised effect. I also used it on the font as well using the same process.

This is a great thread.

Hey this is a great tip

This is a great thread.

Very cool! I can't wait to try this one!

Jenn

Rachael - what a neat tip (great LO too!). Did you just use bevel on the title too? Love how that looks!

schmoo - I would have never thought of that to put your info into another layer. What a good idea! I've been searching for a way to easily keep track of what I use on a LO. If you lock that layer, can you type stuff in the box as you go along (like with each new item used)?

Great tips ladies I will have to write these down somewhere.

My little tip though I am not sure this is what you are looking for is to save layouts I really love. Then when I need inspiration I just flip through my own little gallery. The only thing I think I'll have to change is adding some info on who made the layout and where I saw it.

This really helps when I am completely stumped. Often I will use the placement of the objects on my page but change the intire look with new pictures, colors etc. I can make a very girlie page into a very maculine one.

Rachael - what a neat tip (great LO too!). Did you just use bevel on the title too? Love how that looks!

schmoo - I would have never thought of that to put your info into another layer. What a good idea! I've been searching for a way to easily keep track of what I use on a LO. If you lock that layer, can you type stuff in the box as you go along (like with each new item used)?

Mindy - I just unhide and unlock each time I need to add something to it, then I lock it and hide it again. The reason I lock it is so I don't accidentially delete it. Sometimes I will work on a layout over several days and in that time I may have swapped several different papers/elements in and out.

This is a great thread.

This is a great thread.

My favorite suggestion, came from my father in law. to help me with my scrap files.... I save my layout unmerged as a name with the date. then when i resize it i add _web to the file name and save as jpg. then i also keep a notepad file with the same name to reference how i did things, what supplies i used etc... see below for an example

zoey_sleeping 04_03_07.psp (original un merged layout)

zoey_sleeping 04_03_07_web.jpg (resized jpg for gallery)

zoey_sleeping 04_03_07.txt (notepad)

I also name the person in it (or put family/friend if not one person), then a basic description of the layout. With the date, i can reuse zoey, sleeping over and over again and each file will be unique!

Hope that helps!

Angela

I've been using ctrl + T for transformations, but just the other day I discovered that if I wanted to do a specific kind of change (instead of free transform), I can right-click in the area I'm already transforming, and I'll be given all the options. Makes it a cinch to do horizontal & vertical flip, or to rotate it 90 degrees.

And, I know it's not really a photoshop tip, but it sure cuts down on the workload for me... I love using plugin filters to enhance my photograph. So much faster than doing it by hand!

Archived