Can Someone Tell Me.... What Is A "mask" ?

Malzie

A mask allows you to "edit" a layer without deleting or erasing permanently. I have attached a couple of images that show a layer with a mask applied. Applying a mask is simple, click on the layer you want to edit, then click the "square with a circle in it" icon on the bottom of the palette bar and it will add a mask to that layer.

So in the first image, the layer that is highlighted in blue has a mask attached to it. In the 2nd image I grabbed the paintbrush tool, made sure that the mask was selected and painted with black ink where I wanted the image to disappear. On my example there is white showing through from the bottom layer because I have edited the top layer with a mask.

The great thing about masks is that they aren't permanent. You can edit a photo, like cutting something out of the photo just by applying a layer mask, but if you don't like it then you can just delete the mask and start over.

Did any of this help? I know how to do these things, but I am not the best at explaining them!

Trish

You can use templates like the Scrap Simple ones as masks as well allowing the transparent areas to be filled with a paper or photo and using another paper on the top area. This screen shot is in PSE3. I dragged the paper, template and photo into my layers and with the paper (top) layer active CTRL+G

I'm new...(sorry)...and I keep hearing about "Masks". What are they? and what do they do?

I have PSE5

I read your reply, Thanks so much !....but it brings more questions to my mind.

I did my first lo over the weekend...I had many layers. If I needed to change a layer, I would just click on the layer in the palette and make the change....so why would I need a mask ???

Sorry, I was a blonde for many years....sometimes it takes a while to sink in...............

I tried to do a mask last nite on a photo. I clicked the adjustment layer and did levels and painted it black. Then when I used a white paint brush it didn't show thru on my original picture. Any suggestions on why it didn't work? I could see it on the black where I was painting it, but nothing changed on my original photo.

thanks for any help,

dawn

Hi - I dont really understand masks either - wouldnt you just insert the photo and make as many changes as you wanted, and then either not save, or save as?

Im not sure I understand why you'd need to mask somethng?

Help?

Archived