5 replies to this topic

#1 momentousangel

momentousangel

Hope You Have A Happy Scrappy Day!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:29 PM

After ordering photo plates when my youngest was born, she's now 19 mo. old, I was so disappointed at the quality of them, that I decided to go on a journey to make my own photo plates, and the way they turned out was simply wonderful. I bought some glass plates, some acid free spray adhesive, and some acrylic, and used a 5x7 photo of my daughter. I traced around the center of the plate where I wanted the photo to be, cut it out and transfered the circle to cardboard, then held the photo up to the light, put the cardboard over the photos back, got it all centered, layed it down and traced around the cardboard, cut out the photo, then sprayed the back of the photo with the adhesive, layed the photo carefully in the center of the plate, pressed down all over the photo to be sure it was going to stay (paying extra attention to the edges of the photo), then I let it dry over night to be sure it was completely dry. The next day, I sprayed a layer of acrylic spray over the front of the plate, photo and all, let it dry completely, and then went over it again and again with the acrylic spray, which acted as a protective coating over the photo, and there I had it, a beautiful photo plate of my baby, on glass, not on plastic, of which I truly love. I added my initials on the back with a paint pen, as well as a unique number, as I planned to make more photo plates, and when everyone else saw the plate, they all wanted it. :D so then I decided that I was going to make more for people in the family as special gifts. I've also made a series of photo plates using photographs I took of Mt St. Helens, as well as other scenic photographs, and hung them on the wall as well. I have collected plates for a long time, and now, here I am, broadening my plate collection with my own plates made by me. I included a photo plate in my scrapbook as well, using a special box to put it in, as a gift to my mother who lives over 2500 miles away, packed in foam so it won't break when it gets there. These plates were so easy to make, and adding it into the scrapbook I'm making my mother, makes it an even more precious gift, as she too collects plates. Just wanted to share the idea with everyone. Just because it is glass, doesn't mean it can't be in a special scrapbook too :D I'll post a photo of one of the finished plates as soon as I can, but in the mean time, give it a try.
Posted Image

To have a friend is to have a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold and an extra pair of legs when yours are too weak to stand alone...

I have been living buried in books and writing classes... as an added note I must say that it is rather scary when you start dreaming and all you can see within your dreams is words floating everywhere!

Posted Image
Valerie Lynn Harrell is the published author of a book of poetry, titled "A Little Girl Lost... Was Found Through Her Writing"

#2 Betsy

Betsy

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:48 PM

Sounds GREAT! Not to hard, easy to display - what a wonderful idea!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 angleigh

angleigh

Customer Service Extraordinare

• Design Team
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:06 AM

I'll have to give it a try...can't wait to see the picture

#4 gauchogirl

gauchogirl

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:24 AM

These sound so cool!!
t
[ t ]

gauchogirl
"If you're gonna' get wet, you might as well go swimming."
ScrapGirls Designer | my Scrapgirls gallery | my Scrapgirls boutique | Owner, Gauchogirl Creative

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 momentousangel

momentousangel

• Members
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:25 AM

Forgive me for not getting up the photos of the plates yet. With buying a new house, preparing to move, and having a sick baby, it's definately been pretty hectic around here. I'm searching for the photos right now, I know they are here somewhere, so perhaps someone will teach me an easier way to keep all these photos and such organized in my computer a whole lot better. I'll add the photos as soon as I find them. Once again please do forgive me.
Posted Image

To have a friend is to have a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold and an extra pair of legs when yours are too weak to stand alone...

I have been living buried in books and writing classes... as an added note I must say that it is rather scary when you start dreaming and all you can see within your dreams is words floating everywhere!

Posted Image
Valerie Lynn Harrell is the published author of a book of poetry, titled "A Little Girl Lost... Was Found Through Her Writing"

#6 momentousangel

momentousangel

• Members
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:43 AM

Okay, Finally I found a pic of one of the plates. It's not the greatest photo, so I was going to just take a few more, well, keyword there being was, but amid packing, the things hanging on the wall were all the first things to be packed, as they are my most precious photos and such. Anyhow, the photo here doesn't do the plates any true justice, as it was taken with the flash on so it has a bit of a glare but anyhow, here is a photo of one of them. I'll try to add more after we get moved and get things organized. My Own little office.... yesssss! :D I just can't wait. lol. Sorry. Here's the pic.
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users