External Hard Drives (maxtor)

Guest anniescrapper

Guest anniescrapper

Hello ScrapGirls!

About 1 month ago, I bought a Maxtor 500GB Ext. Hard Drive. My desk top was starting to run a little slow due to all the PC games, photos and all the digital scrap supplies and pages I had going on. I thought it would be great to run all the digital photos and scrappin' stuff from the Ext HD. Things seem to download to the new drive just fine, however, when I am in PSE 4.0 and I try to search for my digital scrapbooking supplies, it is super slow even presenting me with a preview. Jpegs are pretty quick, but the png and psd files seem to take the longest.

Anyone have any information on how to make these run faster? Do I need to synchronize or something? :bouncing-frog: When I'm looking for the right kit or papers, it is excruciatingly s-l-o-w. Kinda like dial-up vs. DSL.....

Thanks for any helps!

Annie :)

I have the 300 gig one and I haven't had any problems. I don't have it back itself up, that takes ages. But I can save onto it and pull off from it just as fast as if it were on my hard drive. The only thing I did was to shut off it's automatic stuff. I don't know what else there is to do though. Sorry if that is no help!

It could be the USB port you've got it in. Some are faster than others. Try putting it in a different slot on your computer. Your computer may not support the faster 2.0. Depends on the age of your computer. Our laptop has a fast one and a slower one. Good luck-hope that helps.

Guest anniescrapper

Thank you ladies so much. Yep, I don't have it back up automatically, either....and my computer (Gateway) does say it can perform faster if I use a high speed USB port, I just don't know where that is. LOL. It says I have 8 and I know that's not right because that's the total I have and all are plugged in with something.....(modem, printer, scanner, etc.) I guess I will have to take some time and check with Gateway to find out where these are and if there is such a thing as a high speed USB CABLE instead of the standard one it came with.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it!

Happy Scrappin!

:clapping_kitty:

Annie, there are high-speed USB cables but I would imagine that the HD came with one. It should say USB 2.0 somewhere on it or on its documentation. The lower-speed USB is quite old -- when I worked in the industry a few years ago, it was being phased out. If your computer was made in the last couple of years, I would guess that it has all high-speed USB ports. But it's worth checking with Gateway to make sure.

Guest anniescrapper

Thanks Kara.

Funny how time flies. I had to look up my computer info see when I bought it. 2005 May....So, I should have all high speed ports. That's great. I will check my cables, too. Wonder why I get this message then? Hmmmm I've contacted Gateway and hope to solve my mystery. Thanks for responding!

Have a great day!

Annie

Guest anniescrapper

Updated:

Checked with Gateway, they tell me my high speed ports are on the rear of my tower (regular on front). Ok, plugged in my EHD, printer, scanner......STILL get the same message saying EHD could perform faster with a high speed port.....Hmmmm.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Guest anniescrapper

Updated:

Checked with Gateway, they tell me my high speed ports are on the rear of my tower (regular on front). Ok, plugged in my EHD, printer, scanner......STILL get the same message saying EHD could perform faster with a high speed port.....Hmmmm.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Archived