Tracking Items Used In A Project

Very, very new at this and I don't want to start with any bad habits. As I begin using these wonderful products, how will I know which item came from which kit? I do like to "cross-use" them and I do want to keep things organized. Any suggestions are most welcomed.

What I do is put the designers initials as the name of the layer. So if I use a paper by Amanda Sok, I label that layer ASO. That way it is easier for me to go back and find it later to give credit. I give everything it's own layer so that works well for me.

ok, not to ignore your question, which I am new and am not sure of the answer myself, but I noticed that your name was "rv scrapbooker". I chuckled to myself because I camp a lot as well with our trailer and I have always been adimate about not taking computers camping with us and would always get the attitude like "you have got to be kidding me" when my husband would ask to take his laptop with us. Now that I recently started doing digital scrapbooking you would not belive what I asked last weekend when we went camping............yes you guess it............."can I take my laptop camping so I can scrapbook"? LOL hehehehehehehehe Your screen name brought last weekend back to me and how funny the whole thing was. The DH looked at me this time like "What! All the times you asked and you said no!", he said "good thing it is your birthday this weekend!". It was so cool to be able to relax by the fire pit, eat junk food, listen to music, relax, and most of all digiscrap! What a weekend! Since you are a RV Scraper, I know you know what I mean. Hope someone can answer your question.

I keep the "notepad" open and copy>paste the file name into it as I work. I also name the layers as I go with the file name so that when I save as a psd file it maintains the information.

HTH

I use a Mac, so I open Stickies and add the info on the stickies as I use the kits/fonts. Most of my digi LOs have been posted somewhere in an online gallery, so then I just look back at the galleries for the info. I never thought about needing to keep the info near at hand long-term! Thanks for the idea.

Debbie

I LOVE your username! LOL :) (And Tracey, I totally "get" your post, too. ;))

I keep track of who's stuff is what by re-naming the layer, pretty much like Elizabeth described above. This is especially helpful if I've applied a certain style to a layer, as well (and sometimes I have to seriously abbreviate). I know others have suggested adding a text layer to the very bottom of the layers, and typing in supplies as you go. Since it's at the bottom, it's not seen - and a text layer doesn't require much memory at all. I haven't personally done this myself, but it's another option.

P.S. - Welcome aboard! :) I think it's great that you want to start of with good habits! That'll make a big difference in the long run. ;)

Guest bellagirl
ok, not to ignore your question, which I am new and am not sure of the answer myself, but I noticed that your name was "rv scrapbooker". I chuckled to myself because I camp a lot as well with our trailer and I have always been adimate about not taking computers camping with us and would always get the attitude like "you have got to be kidding me" when my husband would ask to take his laptop with us. Now that I recently started doing digital scrapbooking you would not belive what I asked last weekend when we went camping............yes you guess it............."can I take my laptop camping so I can scrapbook"? LOL hehehehehehehehe Your screen name brought last weekend back to me and how funny the whole thing was. The DH looked at me this time like "What! All the times you asked and you said no!", he said "good thing it is your birthday this weekend!". It was so cool to be able to relax by the fire pit, eat junk food, listen to music, relax, and most of all digiscrap! What a weekend! Since you are a RV Scraper, I know you know what I mean. Hope someone can answer your question.

I had to laugh at this. My dh and I love to camp and I used to take along all my paper scrapping and you know how we women are, we can`t leave anything home just in case we need it. As a result, our RV had large crates of paper, and totes filled with all kinds of stuff to scrap with. DH would complain that we couldn`t move without tripping over a crate or tote. One of the reasons I began to digi-scrap was to be able to go camping without hearing all the groans about taking along my scrapping stuff. LOL Now, the first thing I ask a campsite when I call for reservations is, "Do you have wireless?" Guess what I do if they say no, you guessed it. Of course most of them do now, must be a lot of digi-scrapping RVers. LOL

i also open notepad and clickly copy and paste the file names into it. I save the notepad the same name as my scrap page ... so i can easily know which belongs together.

hope that helps!

angela

Yep ditto. I asked this question a bit ago and the advice was to use Notepad. Also to name the notepad file with the same name as your LO and save it in the same folder as your LO. This really helped me. Also depending on what program you are using. I use PSE 5 and when I am in the editor I can drag the items up to the LO and that way it keeps the file names in the layers.

HTH!

Yep ditto. I asked this question a bit ago and the advice was to use Notepad. Also to name the notepad file with the same name as your LO and save it in the same folder as your LO. This really helped me. Also depending on what program you are using. I use PSE 5 and when I am in the editor I can drag the items up to the LO and that way it keeps the file names in the layers.

HTH!

This is interesting !! I use PSE 5 too, but don't know exactly what you mean .... Could you explain this please ? Where from do you drag your items into the LO ?

Thanks !

I PSE5, this works if you open all the items you want to use, so that you can see them in the photo bin at the bottom of the screen. Click on your layout so that it's the active document in the window. Now let's say you have a paper document open in the photo bin - click on the image in the photo bin, and without releasing the click, drag it onto the image of your layout document in the main editing window. It will sometimes take a couple seconds (you'll see the hour glass image), then the paper will show up on your layout. Over in the layers pallette, the paper will have it's own layer, and the layer name will be the same as the original file name of that item.

With Scrap Girls products, the files are all named with the designers initials, the collection name, and the individual item name (some of the earlier products may not have this naming structure). So, if you don't do anything to that piece of paper, your layer name is done. However, if you apply a SS Style - like an inked edge or paper texture - you'd want to rename the layer to include both the paper name and the style name.

Clear as mud? :D

This is how I do it now. It's so great! Plus once it's embedded in the file I never have to worry about it getting lost or mixed up somewhere. Mandy has a whole tutorial on it here in her blog. It's under february archives. You'll have to scroll down a ways but it's called Keeping Track of Products Used. I think this is the only way to go. One of the designers introduced it to me earlier, and then I saw her tutorial and now I do her method of keeping windows open and then viewing them all at once and typing it in. It works wonderful!

Mandy Stewards Blog: Tutorial on Keeping Track of Products

Oh yes... I was wondering if this option was only available in photoshop, but I just checked PSE 3.0 and it has it in there so it should be available in most over the versions of PSE.

Plus the nice part of this is when you post the layout to the gallery the data also gets attached as meta data files so you can click on it and see what was used. Look at one of the most recent layouts in my gallery and you can see how it works, although it's still nice to put it in the regular list as well.

Very, very new at this and I don't want to start with any bad habits. As I begin using these wonderful products, how will I know which item came from which kit? I do like to "cross-use" them and I do want to keep things organized. Any suggestions are most welcomed.

Thanks for that tip. I will use it and you are so kind to share.

I do know what you mean. We travel constantly with my husband's work so living in an RV fulltime requires efficiency. Digiscrap is a real blessing for me to be able to work on my projects and still maneuver in our home! Thanks for the chuckle.

What I do is put the designers initials as the name of the layer. So if I use a paper by Amanda Sok, I label that layer ASO. That way it is easier for me to go back and find it later to give credit. I give everything it's own layer so that works well for me.

Thanks for the tip. You are kind to share and I will use it.

This is how I do it now. It's so great! Plus once it's embedded in the file I never have to worry about it getting lost or mixed up somewhere. Mandy has a whole tutorial on it here in her blog. It's under february archives. You'll have to scroll down a ways but it's called Keeping Track of Products Used. I think this is the only way to go. One of the designers introduced it to me earlier, and then I saw her tutorial and now I do her method of keeping windows open and then viewing them all at once and typing it in. It works wonderful!

Oh yes... I was wondering if this option was only available in photoshop, but I just checked PSE 3.0 and it has it in there so it should be available in most over the versions of PSE.

Plus the nice part of this is when you post the layout to the gallery the data also gets attached as meta data files so you can click on it and see what was used. Look at one of the most recent layouts in my gallery and you can see how it works, although it's still nice to put it in the regular list as well.

You win! This is the tip I'll incorporate since it's easy, longterm, and seems doable! Thanks for the help. BTW.. I'm obsessed with ScrapGirls! Too much to choose from!

Wow thanks I never knew this I'm going to try it. That is a cool blog site too. Thank you. I usually use Notepad and then have 2 documents. Only thing is when you post a lo how do you get the info into the credits box?

You could do it one of two ways. Just post the layout without putting anything in the comments. Then when its published to the board and shows up there will be a drop down menu that says meta data file, under the comments box. Open the drop down menu of the meta data highlight what was used - copy and then hit the edit your layout post and paste it into the comments part of the box and hit done. Or you can open the origional layout or picture in Adobe, open up file info and copy paste it into the comment box when it comes to it. Or you can do linking straight to the product by adding the links yourself. It really works great and has saved me tons of time.

Thanks Shalae for the tip about the file info option to keep track of stuff used in a layout. I started out leaving all the files open and then just creating a text layer at the top and typing in all the info. I would then hide this layer. I found that I would forget somethings or my laptop would have a fit and I would have to close everything so leaving all the files open doesn't really work for me.

So now I am retraining myself to label every layer as I drag it in. I label it with a short description of the item, designer and kit. So it might be 'tab_sti_renew. Then when I have finished the layout I do my text layer. I do the text layer so that when I upload my layout I can quickly copy the resources used. I also type notes about the layout on my text layer, maybe I used a new technique or didn't something pretty interesting. I record that here so that I can go back know what I did later on.

This works for me because I will often start a layout and drag lots of bits in and then decide I don't want to use. I have been known to completely change a layout because it's not going as well as I had 'seen' it.

I PSE5, this works if you open all the items you want to use, so that you can see them in the photo bin at the bottom of the screen. Click on your layout so that it's the active document in the window. Now let's say you have a paper document open in the photo bin - click on the image in the photo bin, and without releasing the click, drag it onto the image of your layout document in the main editing window. It will sometimes take a couple seconds (you'll see the hour glass image), then the paper will show up on your layout. Over in the layers pallette, the paper will have it's own layer, and the layer name will be the same as the original file name of that item.

With Scrap Girls products, the files are all named with the designers initials, the collection name, and the individual item name (some of the earlier products may not have this naming structure). So, if you don't do anything to that piece of paper, your layer name is done. However, if you apply a SS Style - like an inked edge or paper texture - you'd want to rename the layer to include both the paper name and the style name.

Clear as mud? :D

Blast, this does not seem to work in PSE4. Never mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived